• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Heroic Legend of Arslan (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:22 pm Reply with quote
I guess that's one way to shake out the people who are and aren't going to be on your side once the war is over. Pro-slavery folks will be hard pressed to gripe, "But we didn't know you were going to do that! You've betrayed us!"
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:45 am Reply with quote
As to episode 18, the genius tactician and strategist Narsus has wasted a lot of efforts of Arslan's party by engaging with useless campaign in a neighbouring country.

In the end, the party did not get military support, just a non-aggression pact, for which there is no leverage that it will be maintained even for those three years it was "agreed" on.

So after this campaign the party is as weak as ever and did not really get anything. Of course, the show pretends otherwise, but mere logic exposes that the story's flow is fake.

It is also very baffling that people swear loyalty to Arslan, who is not really a prince, and exposes no valour, merit and virtue of the future king whatsoever. He is mostly empty-headed, he is weak, and he has no charisma.

This pathetic Arslan character is utterly not believable in this setting; at no time in history people had stuck around such bland person, this just has never happened.

It was gross mistake by author to write the character this way. It is also subtracts from the story, tampers with viewers' ability to submerge into the world author tries to create.

Last edited by MaxSouth on Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:41 am; edited 2 times in total
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:40 am Reply with quote
Episode 20:

Ah, I guess Arslan didn't recognize Etoile after all. I mean, she did remind him of back then...but little did he knew Wink

We get Silvermask making his conquests in the background while Arslan prepares for his grand plan to take back Pars. I also liked how the episode reminded me a bit of the first episode. There's no denying that Arslan and Etoile has a bit of chemistry from the very first beginning when they were younger. Overall, nice buildup episode. Can't wait to see how his plan will be carried out!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:42 am Reply with quote
Episode 20:

The idea that rumours of main lad's lineage would not spread and erode his support among followers is not feasible.

The scene when evil prince kills religious military commander shows only fighters for the latter laying killed, which is nonsensical.

Etoile's voice does not sound boyish at all; it is a miscast, it is not convincing when character is presented as lad.

The idea that main lad as prince has first heard about other countries by stumbling upon the blond lad is ridiculous, since princes are not only military trained, but well taught geography and history.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:07 am Reply with quote
MaxSouth wrote:
The idea that main lad as prince has first heard about other countries by stumbling upon the blond lad is ridiculous, since princes are not only military trained, but well taught geography and history.

You have a bad habit of generalizing, don't you? Arslan's parents didn't give two shits about him so I doubt they put much effort into his education. Plus Pars has an extremely nationalistic attitude so why bother teaching their kids about inferior countries?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:45 am Reply with quote
Episode 20

I was reminded of Assassins Creed from this episode, the first one. What with the whole crusade thing, and probably just a character type, but one of the crusaders being a woman disguised as a man who is having chemistry with the hero. Place Arslan and Etoile next to Altair and Maria. Am I just daft for only figuring out Etoile was a girl this episode?
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 4:51 am Reply with quote
Episode 21:

Mm, I wasn't a big fan of Gieve before but it was kinda nice to give him some spotlight moments. Although I do have to admit that his criticism of some of his comrades were a bit harsh.

And sigh Zaraven...
He is lucky to get out of that battle alive after being trapped and separated. More mistakes like that in the future and he can kiss his life goodbye.

Finally, a nice moment between Gieve and Farangis this episode imo. Why do I have a feeling that we haven't seen the last of him though?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Hoping Gieve will come back before the last episode.

While plot wise I understand the move to a large army I miss when the story focused on a smaller group of characters. While watching Gieve leave I realized I miss when Arslan's group was just his core followers. It just doesn't feel the same.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:30 am Reply with quote
That could have been a really powerful and troubling scene if they hadn't tipped their hand before by showing Gieve meeting with Narsus et al. I can't understand why they chose to sabotage it like that prior to the full reveal.

Otherwise it was a decent episode, save for the usual hamfisted idiocy of the military leaders. Following King Andragoras' example I guess. No wonder Pars lost the battle when ego-blinded morons like these rise to the top ranks.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:27 am Reply with quote
Episode 22:

That was interesting but felt slow in terms of pacing. The buildup for the liberation of Pars is at hands now. Hell, even Arslan himself is training to get stronger. As for the upcoming battles, it'll be kinda interesting to see Silver Mask, Etoile, and others that will play their roles.

Just a guess but I think Gieve will return as well by the foreshadowing of this episode by the others. Who knows though but I'd love to see him back.

The Alfreed and Elam scenes were pretty priceless. Imagine if Narsus saw that LOL
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:39 am Reply with quote
So wait, they have all these soldiers that no one bothered to train until Arslan thought to do it? Seriously?
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 4:52 am Reply with quote
Episode 23:
The law of war....

No wonder Narsus is such a tactical genius whose skills is proven once again in the latest episode. Nice episode. With all the buildup and stuff, this was well executed and demonstrated a rather realistic warfare on the battlefield.

I used to play Age of Empires so seeing some of the old school weapons like bows, battling rams, etc used was awesome. Daryun once again demonstrates his ability to fight while Etoile gets quite a surprise at the end.

Heh, I think the show is about to head to its grand climax soon but this episode was definitely impressive!
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 5:39 am Reply with quote
Who saw that reveal at the end coming that he was Arslan?

I am trying to be a smartass.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Ok, I get that all the main troops aren't there, but c'mon. How could she get that close to his tent without being stopped? When did she pick up her wingman, and why did no one intervene to protect Arslan from him at least when Arslan's walking up to Etoile? I kept waiting for the guy, who had no reason to be shocked that Arslan was Arslan, to yell Yay Yaldaboth! and start swinging.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:12 pm Reply with quote
In Episode 21 there is a scene where a military lad attacks musician who has helped a tortured captive to die. It is utterly ludicrous since every soldier perfectly understands plight of prisoners in those conditions so it is not believable at all that that lad would be angry at musician; it would be opposite: a huge gratitude. And you can not "provoke" such rage; it is nonsensical.

This lack of care for details as this really downgrades the show; it could have been of a higher class easily if authors would think of what they are writing about more. Authors needed to showcase an uproar and disarray that happens among large groups of people and to let musician go, but they thought that viewers would eat whatever nonsense they come up with. This example of seams in storytelling is quite sad.

Vaisaga wrote:
MaxSouth wrote:

You have a bad habit of generalizing, don't you? Arslan's parents didn't give two shits about him so I doubt they put much effort into his education. Plus Pars has an extremely nationalistic attitude so why bother teaching their kids about inferior countries?

You have a bad habit of not catching on context. Arslan's "parents" cared to train him with military skills, giving their top man as his trainer. So this anime portraying that they all of sudden "forgot" to teach him even basic facts about the world is ridiculous.

This show had to be re-written to smooth out all of those drawbacks before entering actual animation stage.

Last edited by MaxSouth on Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 13