• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Heroic Legend of Arslan (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:15 pm Reply with quote
MaxSouth wrote:
People were never as dumb as lazy authors suggest by not respecting neither accuracy of realistic parts of their projects, nor their viewers, to make things right.
But, no, often times they go with "Who carers? It is just a stupid anime/manga anyway, readers/viewers will eat it!" -- this is now how you respect audience and make really high-quality product.

Where did you get the idea that Arslan would have "accurate" realistic parts? This show is an adaptation of a fantasy novel. Nobody complains about how mecha pilots don't switch barrels on continously-fired machine guns because everyone realizes they're watching a mecha show. It's not realistic in the first place. Same for Arslan.

MaxSouth wrote:
nothing else other than hidden racism against middle-Eastern countries and white-washing, in reality, slavery- and robbery-Crusades-driven Western cultures of the past. The issue is not that it is formally falls into "politically incorrect", but with the fact that such disposition is fundamentally false.

Unless authors go to make historic project or correct allegory, they have to come up with their own countries/kindgoms instead to brainwashing audience with clear cues on good/bad sides.

Again, Arlsan is a fantasy novel heavily inspired by Persian and Iranian folklore. You need to show us where the author denies this, otherwise there is no basis for claiming it's a "rip-off" of a middle-eastern country, whatever being a rip-off of a country means. Also, you seem very convinced that this show is guilty of Western historical revisionism and that the creators are trying to push a political agenda on the audience. Maybe Arslan isn't a historical reconstruction or a political allegory, maybe it's just a fantasy show?
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:06 am Reply with quote
@MaxSouth

you don;t know what are you talking about. This is a fantasy LN/Anime no such a thing accuracy, believable. I guess later you will complain about people can use magic, which is not believable. lol

There is no hidden agenda here. I don't know why western anime viewers are sensitive. Most anime/manga/LN have no agenda. It's just there to many money.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:05 pm Reply with quote
1) I have explained very carefully the difference between fantasy and real parts of a story. Just because authors do non-historical/fantasy project, it does not give them a pass to BS everything about it -- not at all. Unless it is specified otherwise as in cases of magical events, common sense is everywhere. So you can not excuse the nonsense by saying it is a made up story.

2) I never wrote that really bad false allegories that this project presents are necessary intentional. It may be so, but may be not -- it could be just prejudice due to fundamental ignorance of authors and upbringing with certain political and cultural narration. But this does not make the picture that this anime paints any less despicable.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:44 pm Reply with quote
MaxSouth wrote:
So you can not excuse the nonsense by saying it is a made up story.

oh yes I can. did it the entire episode. not caring does wonders. you should try it
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:30 am Reply with quote
MaxSouth wrote:
1) I have explained very carefully the difference between fantasy and real parts of a story. Just because authors do non-historical/fantasy project, it does not give them a pass to BS everything about it -- not at all. Unless it is specified otherwise as in cases of magical events, common sense is everywhere. So you can not excuse the nonsense by saying it is a made up story.

And once again it doesn't matter in a fantasy show that is not intended to be historically accurate in the first place. I put the emphasis on "not intended to be historically accurate" just in case. I'm also glad you think that basic sword use should be common sense in 2015. Btw, how is it possible for you to watch something that's not a documentary?

MaxSouth wrote:
2) I never wrote that really bad false allegories that this project presents are necessary intentional. It may be so, but may be not -- it could be just prejudice due to fundamental ignorance of authors and upbringing with certain political and cultural narration. But this does not make the picture that this anime paints any less despicable.

If you think the writers of the show are "fundamentally ignorant" or prejudiced because of their upbringing, then you probably shouldn't be watching the show. I appreciate the fact that you're warning us about this "despicable" cultural propaganda, but I think we'll be okay.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:19 pm Reply with quote
MaxSouth wrote:
Prince's kingdom is not some original fantasy world but most blatant rip-off from a middle Eastern country, and it is supposed that it was oh-so-barbaric slave-owning society while blatantly Western-looking boy from opposing country proclaims their civilization thinks that all men are equal -- is nothing else other than hidden racism against middle-Eastern countries and white-washing, in reality, slavery- and robbery-Crusades-driven Western cultures of the past.

So...you're finding moral superiority in the nation that thinks all believers in their God are equal and wants to eradicate all unbelievers to the point of genocide, over the nation that has slaves? Well alrighty then! To my 21st century eyes they both seem equally morally compromised, which I liked, since neither side was clearly in the right. I don't really know which side I should or will be rooting for yet. Neither, as they stand now. And no one looked particularly Western to me either.

Also, I don't think white-washing means what you think it means. But given your incomprehensible sentence structure, I'm not sure I know what you think it means.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:21 am Reply with quote

spoiler[Arslan's first battle..
Everyone was worried about him.
Strategizing...
Arslan's father, the king, is one scary guy.
That fog didn't help things either..
The canyon + fog was one hell of a trap!
Things went bad fast.
Still, this is not my thing after all. Dropping it.]
justsomeaccount

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:10 am Reply with quote
Episode 2.

This was pathetic. Directing-wise it's fine, the music and fights are cool, blatant CG and static shots aside. But writing-wise, ugh...

spoiler[Kimbley-face: "King, maybe if someone challenges us despite being so many of us is because they think they can win and set up traps, maybe we'd have to reconsider this--"
King: "PAPUPAPUPUAGH! How can that happen? You say it because you are a coward that's it you are not a knight anymore / you'll have to fight to prove your worth! Uhuhuhuh I'm smart and tough!"]

spoiler[Master: "Kimbley-face, my nephew, please tell me you'll swear to protect Arslan no matter what, do it! By the way, do you know I only have two days for retirement to be with my wife and my daughter's birthday coincidentally in the 'living day'?".
Three kids: "Oh, same as us!"]

spoiler[King: "Now that we are in the middle of the battlefield with this fog about to charge, because I'm a dummy it's when I want to ask this specific question: Is the field flat and straight, we can charge without problems, hey, you, hey?".
Obvious traitor general: "Of course, I checked it out, it's straight, we'll charge and we will attack the enemies without problems. Sure. Straight".
King: "Okay, because it would be so shocking if this particular thing I just asked out of nowhere happened to, you know, not being like that, hahaha...".]

Aside of that... spoiler[Arslan's fight with a soldier was cool and they didn't waste time to show him kill somebody, but the rest was pretty laughable.]
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:44 am Reply with quote
Episode 2:

I think I like the ED song slightly better than the OP. Otherwise, good episode although I think there's still a need for spoiler[Arslan to develop as a character for quite a bit. I like his relationship with Daryun though.]

And also, this episode highlights the spoiler[reality of war. I mean, just by looking at it, there's bloodshed and death. I expect to see more of that later on.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
vanfanel

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:25 pm Reply with quote

I enjoyed it. We're into material from the novel now, and things played out pretty much as expected. I thought the scene at the ravine was nicely done, and was glad they let Arslan fight alone for a bit, and not do terribly. They also alluded to the fact that the Pals army has been undefeated up till now despite several failed invasions; the book opens with a brief history of those wars, and points out how the repeated wins led to complacency.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:29 pm Reply with quote
MaxSouth you need to calm down a bit. You have a bad habit of continuously being overly aggressive in your responses to people, and being simply unrealistic with your opinions/criticisms of shows in terms of their attention to realism and being 100% accurate to real life. You are entitled to your views but you really should learn to relax and realize that anime shows are not made to be 100% realistic. Holding them up to your apparent extreme standards will only result in continuous disappointment on your part.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Pretty intense episode, but you'd think they could have animated the billowing smoke, especially since anime loves that stuff because it looks epic and it's easy to recycle frames. Instead they just threw some moving sparks over stills of smoke. It looked like barren mountains had suddenly sprung up on the battlefield. :/

So...the implication is that Arslan is not spoiler[the King's son, he knows it, and that's why he and the Queen are so icy toward each other?]

I really did enjoy the episode a lot, but if those kids spoiler[had been flying their death flags any higher even the King would have seen the trap coming.]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:05 am Reply with quote
Episode 2

A battle can be won with far fewer numbers with just a tactical advantage of thinking ahead. Thinking that spoiler[a group as mindless barbarians without considering the chance of a trap is a bad move]. But looks like the king spoiler[chose the wrong person to listen to].
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:30 am Reply with quote
@Psycho 101, thank you. Everybody is entitled to express their opinions. I'm just asking MaxSouth to tone down the abrasiveness a bit.

Episode 2- It's only the second episode and we're already getting some intense stuff, lol. I'm actually a little surprised by violence in the fighting scenes. It's a lot more brutal than I was expecting, especially compared to the 90's OVAs, but the more graphic violence works better with this kind of story.

justsomeaccount wrote:
Episode 2.

This was pathetic. Directing-wise it's fine, the music and fights are cool, blatant CG and static shots aside. But writing-wise, ugh...

spoiler[Kimbley-face: "King, maybe if someone challenges us despite being so many of us is because they think they can win and set up traps, maybe we'd have to reconsider this--"
King: "PAPUPAPUPUAGH! How can that happen? You say it because you are a coward that's it you are not a knight anymore / you'll have to fight to prove your worth! Uhuhuhuh I'm smart and tough!"]

To be fair, know-it-all kings who ignore the advice of their generals are pretty common. Maybe not the most original writing, but it does happen.

vanfanel wrote:
I thought the scene at the ravine was nicely done, and was glad they let Arslan fight alone for a bit, and not do terribly.

I liked that brief scene where you see Arslan's reaction from the aftermath of his first battle, just that shocked expression on his face was well done.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:59 am Reply with quote
CoreSignal wrote:
If you think the writers of the show are "fundamentally ignorant" or prejudiced because of their upbringing, then you probably shouldn't be watching the show. I appreciate the fact that you're warning us about this "despicable" cultural propaganda, but I think we'll be okay.

So you are suggesting that people who should watch something only if they do not see faults in it?

CoreSignal wrote:
thank you. Everybody is entitled to express their opinions. I'm just asking MaxSouth to tone down the abrasiveness a bit.

I am not abrasive to discussion members -- so my tone is perfectly within the rules -- I am abrasive to anime concepts and their executions, and everybody is free to like them or dislike them however much they want.

And, by the way, no one here is forced to like tone of one another, it is perfectly fine if I do not like that some members are too lenient towards anime, though I never comment on this. And it is also fine to think that my critical thinking is too harsh.

However, if I am told to "tone down abrasiveness", it is not constructive as it is not about the points I made, it is off-topic to the arguments. I do not need to tone down at all in things that are not addressed to participants of discussion. (And I do not care to discuss board members, unless I get attacked; I am only here to discuss anime.)

I am not going around and telling people to "tone up" their critiques of anime, so I expect the same about "tone down" requests. Lets focus on concrete arguments.

Beginning of the episode #2: besides sword practice continued to be depicted wrongly is so many different ways, authors had a falcon landing on main lad's unprotected (!) upper (!) arm.

It was not hard to think of/research that, and depict is correctly. But no, still "Who cares? It is just stupid manga/anime anyway, people will eat it!" mentality.

High quality project would never be so sloppy. Since this Arslan story, as I have read, is quite significant phenomenon (and, despite critiques, eventual rating for this show might be quite high), it is only more regretful that it could not get better rendition than this. It subtracts from the value of this whole project, it distracts from bigger scale story, disrupts submersion to the world authors try to create.

Yes, it is a minor thing and nitpicking, but it is a sign of how much authors care for their story and how much they respect their viewers -- or not.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 13