• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Heroic Legend of Arslan (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 4:49 am Reply with quote
Episode 6:

That was a pretty neat episode. Tspoiler[oo bad for Ecbatana's downfall although this doesn't surprise me at all. Good to see Silvermask again and his role in this. Speaking of which, the society in this series has quite a diverse amount of ideologies. I wonder how much of that will explored as the story goes on.]

And also, spoiler[I spot a familiar hooded figure at the end of the episode. I can't wait to see her role in this season as well.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 4:34 am Reply with quote
The preposterous idea that in Western-looking country "all men are equal" -- versus slave-owning Middle-Eastern-looking country -- still harms the show. Not only because the references are outrageously political incorrect and profoundly false, but also because they draws ridiculous plot twists such spoiler[slaves helping the invaders with believing they will be getting freedom].

Realistically, of course, the slaves would not believe that (they would rather think that the promise is a lie and they would be slaughtered indiscriminately by both the invaders and the owners); let alone the fact they would not be able to hear the offer/chant, being multi-language themselves, dispersed and engaged in works farer in depth of the city, not right behind the walls of it, as shown here.

And no, it is not like just couple of dozens of warriors guard a gate, so there would be no way for spoiler[slaves] to open it; they would be just massacred right on the spot, even if they heard the chants and believe in it.

And no, there would be no an army officer that would publicly dispute decision of his comrade to get rid of spoiler[rebellious slaves] (as he would deem it absolutely necessary himself. In such situations, the only way was to commit a massacre, this is how ancient kingdoms operated). Such thing only happen in naive films and anime such as this.

Also, in none of real-world empires slaves were majority of population -- the range was 5-40%, with none of Middle Eastern empires being even remotely close to the 40% upper limit (which is for "Italy" in the times of Roman Empire). The rulers understood very well that it would be too dangerous otherwise. So the idea that there are more slaves than citizens, as this show indicates, is not believable.

The setting is so fake in this fundamental aspect that it robs viewers (who are aware of that) of the pleasure to be submerged into the story and believe in what is happening.

If not such things, this show could be much better than now, because otherwise the project does have some cleverness to it.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 4:36 pm Reply with quote
MaxSouth wrote:
Realistically, of course, the slaves would not believe that (they would rather think that the promise is a lie and they would be slaughtered indiscriminately by both the invaders and the owners); let alone the fact they would not be able to hear the offer/chant, being multi-language themselves, dispersed and engaged in works farer in depth of the city, not right behind the walls of it, as shown here.

There's this little thing called hope. If you were a slave your whole life and some one came along and offered you freedom, you'd probably take it. Sure they could always backstab you, but there's also a chance they won't. Sometimes you have to bet on a slim chance when the alternative isn't any better.

And all those guys chanting at once would carry pretty decently. Besides, all it would take is a few slaves to hear it and then they spread the word.

MaxSouth wrote:
And no, there would be no an army officer that would publicly dispute decision of his comrade to get rid of spoiler[rebellious slaves] (as he would deem it absolutely necessary himself. In such situations, the only way was to commit a massacre, this is how ancient kingdoms operated). Such thing only happen in naive films and anime such as this.

Sam explained pretty clearly why it was a bad idea. Try to stamp out the fires of rebellion and they'll only spread. It would only give the slaves still on the fence a reason to side with the other guys.

MaxSouth wrote:
Also, in none of real-world empires slaves were majority of population -- the range was 5-40%, with none of Middle Eastern empires being even remotely close to the 40% upper limit (which is for "Italy" in the times of Roman Empire). The rulers understood very well that it would be too dangerous otherwise. So the idea that there are more slaves than citizens, as this show indicates, is not believable.

There's no point in comparing a fantasy setting to a real life one. Besides, it's been consistently shown that Pars is full of cocky a-holes. They think their country invincible and it makes them complacent. With their mighty army there's no way the slaves would rebel, and more slaves makes their lives easier. This is shown by those two random dudes going on about how with no slaves no work would get done.

Yes there's lots of flaws in how Pars is run... Which is exactly why they're in their current situation. They were hoisted quite spectacularly by their own petard.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 4:07 pm Reply with quote
There are a lot of historical fantasies, and even a lot of "historical" anime (which are not really historical as they bend history to a more entertaining way), that still "keep it real" in terms how sieges were done and other aspects.

My point it since that this story apparently does have smartness in it, it is only more pitiful that authors went further in their fantasy in aspects are not necessary at all (unlike axiomatic parts such as non-existent kingdoms themselves and possible magic).

Much better attention to detail could give this project a shine of finely crafted epic master piece. Without it, it is good story with drawbacks, and I think it could have been totally avoidable with better care for the nuances of story.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 6:39 pm Reply with quote
To say that there has never been a kingdom in history ever to make the same mistakes as Pars is way too extreme. You say that kingdoms knew having too many slaves was a bad idea, but couldn't it be that they knew that because some other kingdom made that mistake and they went "Let's not be like that guy!"

Pars would be 'that guy.' The story has done well to establish Parsians' attitudes and justify why they made the mistakes which are now biting them in the ass.
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Episode 6- another solid episode. The pacing in this show is pretty good so far. I'm curious as to what time this show airs in Japan, the fight scenes are a lot more gory than I was expecting.

Vaisaga wrote:
There's no point in comparing a fantasy setting to a real life one.

@Vaisaga, don't bother discussing this point with MaxSouth, it's a waste of time, trust me.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 6:33 am Reply with quote
@Vaisaga, don't bother discussing this point with CoreSignal, it's a waste of time, trust me.

Vaisaga wrote:
To say that there has never been a kingdom in history ever to make the same mistakes as Pars is way too extreme. You say that kingdoms knew having too many slaves was a bad idea, but couldn't it be that they knew that because some other kingdom made that mistake and they went "Let's not be like that guy!"

There are simply no historical records of a kingdom/city having too many slaves that was sieged and captured in way that this anime depicts. As I have explained, there are too many details that do not match to feasibility for that to happen, and hence no wonder there is no historical precedent.

My point is this decreases believability of whole story in general, and it is sad.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 6:45 am Reply with quote
honestly, what's sad here is your inability to completely separate reality and fantasy. why be Squidward and be bound by boring reality when you could be Spongebob and get inside that box and let you imagination take over and see where it leads you?
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 5:13 pm Reply with quote
MaxSouth wrote:
There are simply no historical records of a kingdom/city having too many slaves that was sieged and captured in way that this anime depicts. As I have explained, there are too many details that do not match to feasibility for that to happen, and hence no wonder there is no historical precedent.

My point is this decreases believability of whole story in general, and it is sad.

Just because it hasn't been written in a history book doesn't mean it never happened.

Why are you basing feasibility on historical accuracy alone anyways?

A powerful nation getting too cocky because of its strength? Feasible.

That same nation accumulating a large amount of slaves due to their constant victories? Feasible.

Citizens keeping a large amount of slaves to make life easier, confident their power is too great for the slaves to try anything? Feasible.

Those slaves developing learned helplessness in front of their captives' power and just accepting their fate? Feasible.

The powerful nation proving to be not so powerful after all and the offer of freedom bringing hope back to the slaves? Feasible.

Slaves being able to overpower a diminished and exhausted army? Feasible.

I fail to see anything problematic from a storytelling or a logic perspective with the presented senario.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Only crazy people would compare fantasy novel real live and believability. lol that's just sad.

the Mongol empire(largest continuous land empire) once control over 25% of the world population(110.0 million out of 429 million) at one point. They only have few millions mongols them self. They had to sent many slaves and people that useful to them to their capital, Karakorum. Once Mongols few hundreds years later, the Chinese and Russians kill many mongols.

The Mamluk were Egypt slaves, they over turned the Egypt empire at the time. Mamluk turned noble and king, Egyptian became their slaves. There were slaves who tried to fight the Roman Empire, but failed, too.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 9:13 am Reply with quote
Episode 7:

My favorite part this episode? Falangies kicking some ass with her archery skills. It looks like she has a goal to find Arslan too.

And ah this episode establishes the downfall of the Queen. I had a feeling that was coming anyways. However, it was also nice to see Etoile (the kid that Arslan met in the past...I think from the first episode). Good developments and buildup overall. Can't wait to see how these events will interconnect with the rest of the story.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 4:17 am Reply with quote
Well who'd have thought. In addition to all the other stuff this show is doing well, it also has a really strong sense of humor to boot. Those scenes with Gieve and Farangis were excellent. Anyway, this felt like more of a transitional episode. Still I enjoyed it a lot. This show is really surprising me by trending steadily towards being legitimately excellent and not just serviceably unremarkable as I had originally thought.

MaxSouth wrote:
@Vaisaga, don't bother discussing this point with CoreSignal, it's a waste of time, trust me.

No...CoreSignal is right. There's a pretty clear pattern of behavior with you that I think makes most people simply endeavor to ignore you. I mean, everyone is entitled to dislike a show. But you just post these giant text walls panning pretty much everything and always on the basis of some incredibly spurious and pedantic nonsense. I'm generally inclined to participate in even more futile debates but you're one person I refuse to even engage normally.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 6:12 pm Reply with quote
All hail Bow-wielding Calvary Babe, the new empress of my heart. Rowr.

I'm really digging this show. I like that it combines large scale epic fighting with smaller scale personal adventures. And I'm dying to find out what turned Kharlan into a traitor. Also, I'm wondering what Silver Mask's ultimate agenda is since he's clearly no fan of the Lusitanians, either.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Also, I'm wondering what Silver Mask's ultimate agenda is since he's clearly no fan of the Lusitanians, either.

He wants to grope, poke, and suck on as many boobs as possible, obviously.

As for Falangies, I do like her attitude, but honestly I don't find her physically attractive. Sure, she meets all the criteria on the sexy checklist but I'd rather go for Aslan or Elam.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Well, to each their own, freak. Wink

I'm sort of partial to the Ice Queen, as well. Hard to resist an icy blonde who seals the dread fate of all men associated with her. And why does she not like Arslan, I wonder? Perhaps she is aware of her curse and keeps him at a distance for his own good?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 13