• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Yamada-kun and the Seven Witches (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:38 am Reply with quote
First of all, there is nothing bad in pubescent pupils kissing each other; on the contrary, such signs of affection, as well as sex, should be highly encouraged as it is healthy activity that makes schoolers better understand themselves and each other, as well as explore things they like the most in relationships. Alas, in many conservative schools with upside-down "morals" this is banned, which is ridiculous.

Thankfully, it does not seem to be the case in this anime. However, what the newcomer girl has done should be probably considered criminal act as she provokes stupid "slut-shaming" type of bullying against the blond girl.

To confront such behaviour, not only schools should severely punish such pupils as the one that provokes bullying by expelling them (and authorities prosecuting them, though as minors), but schools also have to celebrate victims, as well as all pupils that express their tenderness to each other overall. (Unless it is tampers with education, it is a beautiful thing, not something to be shamed for.)

What the main lad did in response to the bully girl's vindictive behaviour is also bad, because unless girl expresses clear consent to a kiss, no one should kiss her. Depiction of the scene as it is reaffirms sick mentality among some guys who love chanting "'No' means 'yes', 'yes' means 'anal'" under windows of girls' dormitories in colleges, as it has happened no so long ago.

Yes, I know, the anime meant to depict the scene in a way that girl obviously is in lust for a kiss. Yet scientists have proven than men are much worse than women in reading face expressions and understanding the mood, so as result of such showcase a number of less than perfectly perceptive lads may go further than they should with girls.

This is why such cliche scenes should already become a past. Japan is lagging in this regard, though, so I am not expecting progress in the near future, alas.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:23 am Reply with quote
MaxSouth wrote:
First of all, there is nothing bad in pubescent pupils kissing each other; on the contrary, such signs of affection,

Pubescent high school kids, lol.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:08 pm Reply with quote
MaxSouth wrote:
First of all, there is nothing bad in pubescent pupils kissing each other; on the contrary, such signs of affection, as well as sex, should be highly encouraged as it is healthy activity

Someone hasn't seen School Days Laughing

Anyways, remember that in Japan public displays of affection are discouraged. That's why characters often make a big deal out of simply holding hands.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:31 pm Reply with quote
WTF? You went on a rant on how unhealthy eggs are and now you are encouraging HS kids to have sex? lol..... Yeah I guess the world needs more teenage pregnancies.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:37 pm Reply with quote
WhiteHairGirls wrote:
Yeah I guess the world needs more teenage pregnancies.

All for the greater good of fixing Japan's (and, to a certain extent, the world's) declining birthrate. Laughing
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3:

I wanted to slap spoiler[Haruma, the school council president a bit. Although for one thing, I do admit that he is quite cunning and already figured out the the body switching part involving Yamada]

Oh well, I did expect them to skip some stuff but the episode managed to spoiler[capture the goal of going to college towards the end there. And Nene also makes an appearance which kinda pleases me this episode; I hope she gets more screen time this season tbh.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Fun show. We're only three eppies in but they've managed to keep the body switching stuff fresh for me. I also love things like the School Council Prez having figured things out and being pretty cool with it.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I also love things like the School Council Prez having figured things out and being pretty cool with it.

He's a freaky guy.

I do get a bit bored with Yamada being in a rage all the time. I hope they grow him out of that.

On the other hand, it was the first time we had seen Shiraishi upset about anything. Nice to know she isn't just panties on a stick.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 7:37 am Reply with quote
WhiteHairGirls wrote:
WTF? You went on a rant on how unhealthy eggs are and now you are encouraging HS kids to have sex? lol..... Yeah I guess the world needs more teenage pregnancies.

Having sex is the healthiest thing ever, so I am absolutely consistent in this. Smile

Besides, nowhere in sane developed world people associate HS sex with pregnancies because sexual education is taught properly there, not unhealthy and useless abstinence courses like in some abortion-records-breaking states like Mississippi.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Episode 4:

Soo....Nene's ability is spoiler[Charm, which makes a target fall in love with them via a kiss. Well now, I bet there are a lot of ways to take advantage of that Wink]

Anyways, funny stuff this week. spoiler[Nene is adorable in her outfit at night imo. I think this will continue into next time though with that PV so curious to see how they will deal with the recent events. And lol, the showcase at the end of this episode was just priceless.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Fun eppie. I'm a little unclear about the magic rules, though. It seems Nene's kiss ability is Charm ... which means that the next time Yamada sees her, he should be in love with her ... unless by kissing Miyamura and Ito, he has negated the Charm cast on him by Nene. Which wouldn't make sense because kissing Ito after Miyamura didn't negate the Charm that Miyamura is under. We haven't seen Yamada interact with Nene since the kiss, so we don't know how he will feel.

In any case, it's a lot of fun.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 7:22 pm Reply with quote
My guess is that Yamada and Nene spoiler[swapped abilities, rather than her charming Yamada as she expected, but Nene doesn't realize that yet, since she hasn't seen him since and she wouldn't go around kissing people to charm them on a regular basis, as it would be a hassle to have them fawning over her.]

We'll see. This series surprises me each week, and I continue to be surprised by that and how much I'm enjoying it.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Aren't you a clever ole stick, Gina - your theory is way more cogent than my ramblings. I'm particularly surprised at how much I'm enjoying this show because before it aired I tried giving the OVA a whirl and couldn't even finish it. The dangers of watching something with established characters when you haven't been introduced to them yet. Needless to say, I'll revisit the OVA once the series is over and I'm willing to bet I'll enjoy and appreciate it far more.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 7:58 pm Reply with quote
You know, I watched that OVA too, and then promptly forgot about it. Still don't remember much about it. At least it explained who the 7 witches were, although I'm getting the feeling from the OP and this episode that they're not really who the title is talking about. I'll probably watch it again after this too, to see if it has more sticking power.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 11:13 pm Reply with quote
I liked that Shiraishi seems to be spoiler[having fun, that she joined in with her classmates and seems to be enjoying it. Also seem to have had a few cases where she comments on something being cute]. Looks like there will be multiple spoiler[abilities through kissing, and at least if he kisses them there is no swapping of bodies but instead swapping of abilities.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5