• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: NIS America Adds Kimi ni Todoke, 2011 Dororon Enma-kun

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Takeyo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:31 pm Reply with quote
here-and-faraway wrote:
jrnemanich wrote:
I'm glad that KnT got licensed, I just hope that they are not released in those jumbo boxes like Toradora! was. My shelves can't hold that.

I have to admit that I like the packaging a lot. But I keep my DVDs on bookshelves so they fit just fine. I understand why they'd be frustrating for people who (gasp) store their DVDs on DVD shelves.

At least NISA is starting to follow-up with standard edition releases using regular DVD cases (and a lower MSRP). Hopefully, they'll keep doing this for future releases. Everybody wins. Smile
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:32 pm Reply with quote
What is the problem with gg's sub of Enma-kun? All I can find is some nitpicks about commas, hyphens, Engrish-to-English issues, some clunky translation choices. So can someone kindly point me in the direction of an actual thread, blog, or conversation where these major issues are brought up. Not just hearsay.
SantaBla

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:38 pm Reply with quote
you guys serious? enma-kun was a riot.

definitely the most daring anime ever, not even meant for your average anime folk but damn it was good... anime enthusiasts like me will definitely get this. there's no way a go nagai series get licensed and i do not pick it up.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Newbies to Go Nagai don't seem to get that his material is generally that sophomoric. Nothing wrong with it, but if you come in expecting Harry Potter with yokai, you will be disappointed.
Covnam

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:40 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:

Quote:
NIS America does not have release details for Dororon Enma-kun Meeramera yet, but the staff hopes to have more information by next year's Anime Expo.

Wait, what? They don't know what they're gonna do with it until next AX? I hope that means they're considering dubbing it.

It just finished airing, or will be shortly, so NISA likely has to wait till it all gets released in Japan before they can release it or maybe even work on it depending on how the materials are handled.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Sailor S wrote:
The King of Harts wrote:
asimpson2006 wrote:
Was the group that did the fansubs called CoalGuys? If it was that would explain it, they seem to be a bit more liberal with their translations with am emphasis on more.

No, gg is the only group doing it. I know CoalGuys have a reputation of doing that, but I don't know if gg does. People on MAL say they did, but I don't really trust those people that much, especially when a couple of the negative comments are them just saying "gg", implying that they don't like the subs simply because of who they are.

gg is known for their troll subs. Not saying they use troll subs every time, but they do it enough to where if you want a faithful translation, you look to another group. If you like being trolled, then gg's for you.

No, they're known for occasionally slipping in minor things that they know will enrage /a/, and they feed off the ensuing butthurt. Seriously, when you can consistently make people angry over something so minor, so insignificant, how can you stop? In any case, gg has a bunch of different translators, and the one who did Enma also did the Break Blade movies from like 3 onward. And I don't recall anyone bitching about those having LOLITROLLYOU subs, whatsoever.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:46 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
What is the problem with gg's sub of Enma-kun? All I can find is some nitpicks about commas, hyphens, Engrish-to-English issues, some clunky translation choices. So can someone kindly point me in the direction of an actual thread, blog, or conversation where these major issues are brought up. Not just hearsay.

There's nothing wrong, per say; they're hilarious. But I would describe them as "If Stephen Foster did subs", and a lot of people like faithfulness no matter how good the results are.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:17 pm Reply with quote
If Stephen Foster did subs then faithfulness would be out of the question. The subs are outrageous because the Japanese dialogue is outrageous. So where is problem exactly with the subs, other than not being official?
arsonal

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Kimi ni Todoke! ...but two 13-episode packs? KnT season one only has 25 episodes.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:03 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
If Stephen Foster did subs then faithfulness would be out of the question. The subs are outrageous because the Japanese dialogue is outrageous. So where is problem exactly with the subs, other than not being official?

Why are you being such a prick (other than it being your shtick)? You asked a question, I gave you an answer. It's been brought up several times in the thread already that the subs are very loose and embellished with the translator's own touch thrown in, i.e. not exactly what the Japanese dialogue is saying. The End. I don't see the confusion here.

If my answers aren't good enough for you then go download some of the episodes yourself and stop acting like you know what you're talking about. If you did, then you wouldn't be asking questions and you'd know exactly what I, the person who has seen the show, was talking about.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Happiness for Subaru
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:18 pm Reply with quote
arsonal wrote:
Kimi ni Todoke! ...but two 13-episode packs? KnT season one only has 25 episodes.
Add in Kurumi's recap episode.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:07 pm Reply with quote
My question was for a link to an actual discussion that talks about where the subs went wrong. Repeating that gg has trolled before does not supply me what I asked for.

I checked MAL and nobody there is talking about the suspect quality of the fansubs, at least not up to the episode 3 thread. That is where I stopped since 3 was the number of episodes you watched. I searched the internet and the most I could find are the few nitpicks mentioned in my earlier post. I even went to gg's project page and the biggest concern was how does "mera mera mera mera mera mera" translate "into ignite my soul and let it burn". Is that the embellishment and looseness you speak of?

You watched it so why don't you give some examples since the issues are so damn obvious to you. If you can't prove the subs are loose and embellished then you should not make or support that accusation.
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:29 pm Reply with quote
yes for dororon enma-kun meeramera get license.

but bit hmm no dubs version of it yet.

oh come maybe they plan to release it dub please let it be dub come really this dub worthy to have.
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Nice. Cool Finally the anime has been licensed. Don't know if I'll be going after the sets right away though when they come out.
Racheldoublemm

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:54 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad that a Kimi ni Todoke hard copy can finally be purchased, but man alive, I wanted a dub. I truly wanted a dub for this. I've been constantly wondering what an english speaking Sawako would sound like and......sigh.

To be honest, I'm kinda disappointed. But, it happens and I'd rather have it not dubbed than not picked up.

I'll definitely be buying. I've been wanting it since I started the manga!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5