• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NISA Anime Industry Panel

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phoenixphire24

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Hm, not sure I'd buy Kimi, but I'll certainly rent it! If it's good, I can pick it up later. Not excited about anything else they have coming out Confused
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Woah. Did I just read Dororon Enma-kun was licensed? Never thought that would happen. I'll definitely be buying it, as it's probably my favorite comedy of the spring season.
jrnemanich

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:37 pm Reply with quote
I will be buying Kimi ni Todoke, but I'm going to have to wait for the standard edition. Those boxes are just to big for my shelves.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:58 am Reply with quote
I don't know I have some complaints about what other companies charge for certain titles and their lack of quality packaging. NISA is a different story, I think for what they give you their prices are very fair. My only complaint is that I also wish their boxes were a little smaller so it wouldn't look so out of place on my shelf. But that is really a minor quibble. I would prefer a good dub, but many are mediocre (imho) to begin with so I'll take a good sub any time.
FaytLein

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 5:30 am Reply with quote
Personally, I really like NIS's artboxes and extras. While the boxes are quite odd, the booklets alone are great little additions, worth the price of admission I'd say. Their prices aren't so much greater than a Funi or Neo-ADV release, and often times, it'd be the only way shows like the ones NIS licenses would be released. (Do you really think NIS could compete financially with Funi and Bandai? I think not.)

So in other words, keep 'em coming NIS, you have a fan with me!
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:43 pm Reply with quote
FaytLein wrote:
Personally, I really like NIS's artboxes and extras. While the boxes are quite odd, the booklets alone are great little additions, worth the price of admission I'd say. Their prices aren't so much greater than a Funi or Neo-ADV release, and often times, it'd be the only way shows like the ones NIS licenses would be released. (Do you really think NIS could compete financially with Funi and Bandai? I think not.)

So in other words, keep 'em coming NIS, you have a fan with me!

NIS America is a Santa Ana,CA based R1 label with loads of ambition. They clearly see themselves as the label that can fill the gaping hole left by Pioneer/Geneon USA but they're extremly careful in what they invest in, and since thier still a very new label, they have yet to invest in dubbing some of thier titles. I await the day they approach "NGP" or "Bang Zoom" for dubbing work.
Crisha

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:44 pm Reply with quote
My only complaint with NISA is that nothing they've released I've really wanted a Limited Edition of. I love the way they do their LEs. I love the idea of a nice big book packaged in a beautiful box along with the DVDs/BDs. The problem is that I only buy LEs for my favorite series (unless if I find a really good deal on something). This helps me save on shelf space and money.

Katanagatari is the closest I've come to purchasing a series. The main thing holding me back is that its release comes at an inconvenient time. I can't justify an additional $50 at this point for a series that is mostly a blind buy (I skimmed through the first episode, and while it seemed interesting I'm not certain how much I'll like episodes filled with talking).

So, I'll have to wait for a regular edition to come out. Which is sad since the book for the release sounded amazing. Sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ryo Hazuki

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:58 am Reply with quote
Sanosuke_Inara wrote:
Uh, not quite. There's a good number of dubs out their superior to their sub counterparts.

I haven't heard any, except maybe the Finnish dubs of Beauty and the Beast and Aladdin and How to train your Dragon (and no, Wolverine doesn't sound like Spike, at all).
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:04 am Reply with quote
Ryo Hazuki wrote:
Sanosuke_Inara wrote:
Uh, not quite. There's a good number of dubs out their superior to their sub counterparts.

I haven't heard any, except maybe the Finnish dubs of... Aladdin

Blasphemy! No one can play the Genie better than Robin Williams!
That character was made for him! He even ad-libbed many of his lines! Laughing
formerroadie1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:27 am Reply with quote
I own every single NISA Box Set and hope they continue to make them just like that. The whiners around here are amazing. Let's just say that their box sets blow away anything anyone else is putting out right now. The books are just stunning and the boxes and artwork are masterpieces. Here's an idea: if you don't like them... don't buy them.

I on the other hand can't wait for my new pre-ordered box sets as well as the ones that are headed to my house this week Smile. I'm stoked.
xstylus

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:56 am Reply with quote
NISA Anime Industry Panel Article wrote:
Mitsu then explained that he understood that NIS's prices were high, but he felt justified in the amount of value they've added to the product

On the premium editions, perhaps. On the standard editions they're par with expectations for any other release.

Over the decade I've spent $27,000 in DVDs and I militantly despise torrents. However, I will not touch NIS products until their prices are closer to par with the market. Same goes for Aniplex.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:12 pm Reply with quote
xstylus wrote:
NISA Anime Industry Panel Article wrote:
Mitsu then explained that he understood that NIS's prices were high, but he felt justified in the amount of value they've added to the product

On the premium editions, perhaps. On the standard editions they're par with expectations for any other release.

Over the decade I've spent $27,000 in DVDs and I militantly despise torrents. However, I will not touch NIS products until their prices are closer to par with the market. Same goes for Aniplex.

I don't think NISA has released any standard editions, yet. Are you aware of what the MSRP for their standard editions is going to be? If you do, post it here, because I'd be curious (not that I'll ever buy one, I'm only interested in their premium sets). But if you don't know what they'll be charging for their regular editions, you cannot judge if they will be "par with the market."
FaytLein

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:

I don't think NISA has released any standard editions, yet. Are you aware of what the MSRP for their standard editions is going to be? If you do, post it here, because I'd be curious (not that I'll ever buy one, I'm only interested in their premium sets). But if you don't know what they'll be charging for their regular editions, you cannot judge if they will be "par with the market."

The prices for the Toradora regular editions have been announced, and MSRP is around 45, the special editions were retailing for just under 60. So the regular editions are going to be roughly in the same ballpark as most other companies releases, ie going on TRSI and RACS for 35-40 bucks.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Wagnaria is $50, though, so it's only ten dollars cheaper than the Premium, and puts it on par with Sentai, and I think I've made it clear that I find Sentai's prices for sub-only sets high.

My biggest beef with the standard editions, though, if Toradora is any indicator, is that they're still going to be split by cour. You don't rerelease half sets, NISA.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:21 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
Wagnaria is $50, though, so it's only ten dollars cheaper than the Premium, and puts it on par with Sentai, and I think I've made it clear that I find Sentai's prices for sub-only sets high.

That'd be my take on it as well. NIS Premium prices are justifiably high. No question there. NIS regular prices are also rather high though and not really justifiably so which is unfortunate. That said, they are hardly unique in this regard.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3