• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 4Kids Loses $256k in Q3

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Seventh Son

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:24 pm Reply with quote
amen ivancho, amen!!!

this is awesome. if they arent stopped soon, they might take another series and butcher it. maybe they will as a last ditch effort, but at the rate of their decline, this ninja turtles bullcrap is gonna be their last resort, as hinted. now after that bombs, itll take a while for people to get off of our backs cause of the legacy, but otherwise....HALLELUIAH!!!
Ninja337

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 5:05 pm Reply with quote
People need to shut up with the 4kids bashing. This is anime, they are cartoons, they are for children. It's better that kids of all ages can watch animu without being introduced to confusing things that they do not understand. Luffy would have wanted it that way.
Yashouzoid

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Oh, so they're losing money now.

Quote:
People need to shut up with the 4kids bashing. This is anime, they are cartoons, they are for children. It's better that kids of all ages can watch animu without being introduced to confusing things that they do not understand. Luffy would have wanted it that way.

Too bad English dubbed One Piece has gotten to a point where, thanks mainly to airing on a cable network, on Saturday nights, at a 10 PM time slot, the latest dub episodes are full of skull-busting, back-stabbing (literally), bloody (that's right) goodness, I think it's safe to say that the argument of "WELL THEY HAVE TO MAKE IT SAFE FOR KIDS" has gotten irrelevant.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Ninja:
Quote:
People need to shut up with the 4kids bashing. This is anime, they are cartoons, they are for children. It's better that kids of all ages can watch animu without being introduced to confusing things that they do not understand.

Sh*t, if they can understand R-rated films given a PG like Gremlins and Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, I don't see why they can't understand One Piece.
Kouji

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Ninja337 wrote:
This is what makes 4Kids an awful company. The shows that 4Kids license were already acceptable for children in Japan to watch and they can watch it just fine yet when the shows are brought over here they're butchered to death when they were already for kids anyway because even though the shows are perfectly fine for Japanese kids to watch they're somehow unacceptable for American children. Are you trying to say that American kids are more stupid than Japanese children because 4Kids thinks American kids can't handle watching a show that Japanese children have no problems at all watching? And how the hell do you know that a fictional cartoon character would want it that way? I'm pretty sure if I was a cartoon character I wouldn't want my personality screwed around with or to be Americanized just because some company that doesn't respect anime fans thinks American kids are more stupid than the Japanese.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
belisarius

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 5:54 pm Reply with quote
What's really a shame is that more of the domestic licensors aren't publicly held/traded companies. We get to watch 4Kids financial travails all the time, but who knows if it's just them or the industry as a whole. It'd be much more enlightening to see their Q3 numbers Vs. say Geneons or ADVs, but as those companies (to the best of my knowledge) do not release that data to the public we'll never know.

It gets even more complicated when you look at a company like Funimation that's owned by Navarre. So you can see Navarre's numbers (http://finance.google.com/finance?q=NAVR), but what part Funimation plays in that is totally unclear. To be fair to these guys though, I suppose the number of investors looking to dump tons of capitol into anime licensors is probably limited. At any rate, it's a pretty convoluted market, and it's too bad we don't have access to a greater amount of financial data.
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Well, we do know one thing about FUNimation. In the most recent quarterly conference call, NAVR reported that FUNimation produced a profit and exceeded expectations.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Samurai-with-glasses

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 6:29 pm Reply with quote
4Kids suffers setback; anime fans sing. It was fun for a while, but it's getting boring.

They apparently have retreated from the anime scene in any case. Besides, One Piece is a lost cause. Give up the wrath already.
Ariolander

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Bah they are loosing a lot of steam and I doubt that viva whatever is gonna do much good seems to be b-rate from what I have seen.

Of course their on a decline 'cause all the latest Yu-Gi-Oh shows are lame (I am acknowleging at one point I liked em) and they really are beating a dead horse with TMNT...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Yashouzoid

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Samurai-with-glasses wrote:
They apparently have retreated from the anime scene in any case. Besides, One Piece is a lost cause. Give up the wrath already.

One Piece isn't a lost cause. 4Kids is, evidently, taking steps towards improving. The later episodes of the Alabaster arc, while obviously still being scripted with 4Kids.tv in mind (I will not forgive them for how horribly mishandled Luffy vs. Crocodile Round 3 was - if you don't believe that bgm being replaced is as major as fans make it out to be, compare the two versions of the scene and you will be proven wrong), had much better production values than normally. Voice acting has improved ever-so-slightly - even David Moo gave a good performance as Sanji in parts. 4Kids is no longer showing bias against characters. I remember earlier on, they would take focus off of characters they considered nothing more than comic relief, like Ussop, to drive marketable characters like Chopper. Evidently, this failed.

That doesn't even touch what's been laid out for the Skypiea arc (which we know thanks to games like Pirates Carnival and Grand Adventure). Getting around the whole "Eneru is a God" thing I thought would be tough, but they handled it well - instead of calling himself God, he calls himself the Sky Lord, and still maintains superiority over what he calls land-dwellers, while holding Skypiea under a tyranny. His priests are now Vassals, or followers. Same thing. The angels are still angels. As for Eneru himself, his voice is fairly decent, far off from what I expected (a cheesy Eminem clone). They even keep his signature "Yahaha!" laugh. Similarly, Bellamy laughs like a hyena in the dub, giving him his own signature laugh. There's even a possibility they may use the original bgm for Skypiea. They obviously have it, otherwise they wouldn't have used it in the game, which was made mainly for America.

For the first time since 4Kids revealed that We Are! dub, I'm looking forward to more One Piece dub episodes, and this time, I don't think I'll be disappointed.
ShootYouStars

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Yay.

However, they haven't fully moved out of anime to "more profitiable" subjects yet-- they got the liscene to Futari wa Pretty Cure this summer. (Are they showing it yet? They said they'd put it in the lineup this fall.) But they're on the track.

I personally don't care if they live or die-- I just hope that they stop slahing up anime.
Yashouzoid

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Apparently, something is up with 4Kids' Toei licenses. While they're still doing things with One Piece, Doremi has been put on hiatus (hint: the last shojo 4Kids aired that was put on hiatus was Mew Mew Power, which is now canceled becuase 4Kids doesn't have the rights to the second half of the series). No sign of Pretty Cure. Etc.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Ninja337 wrote:

i think the english version on One Piece is confusing. hell the kids I knew who attemtped to watch it did as well.

spoiler[Hey how did those two people get on the ship? Where did the second one go? Hey...is he lying on top of that hook? Why is he bleeding from being hit with suction cups? Why is that guys mouth open like that?]

and the list goes on. Not all of the shows they got are for kids. At least not here with how parents can't parent and have the tv do it for them. Luffy would have wanted it that way?
I'm sure he wouldn't have wanted to look like he was in a gag show.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
uncutpokemon

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:22 pm Reply with quote
good, they deserve it! geeze Kahn, when will you ever learn? and i highly doubt that this viva pinata show or their Chaotic show will help either. say heres one thing that might make people want to see viva pinata, have a pinata that is actualy Al Kahn, cause who wouldn't want to see Kahn getting beaten up with a baceball bat Laughing? not that they would!
Canuckian

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:52 pm Reply with quote
I like Viva Pinata, and Chaotic...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8