• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 4Kids Loses $256k in Q3

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:33 am Reply with quote
FlamingPinecone wrote:
okay everyone getting on to me for my uncut dvd comments, consider this: if the sales for the cut anime they release isn't making any money what makes you think spending more money to release uncut anime would make them anymore money? at the end of the day 4kids is about money. period.

they've put fourth some effort to release uncut dvd's at your request(even if they weren't very well advertised) and it failed. they probably aren't going to try again, you had your shot to send 4kids a message, ya'll didn't take it so they'll continue to effortlessly butcher anime and make money, the formula that works.

game over.

fawhoooosh!

Let's ask a few things first before you consider calling it "Case Closed."

1. Why did 4Kids get One Piece? What compelled them to get it? Huge fansub downloading = Potential Market? Because it is marketed to children and teens in Japan, it could do well here? Trying to ride the coat tails of Pirates of the Carribean?

2. Way to kill your own arguement with a statement like thus:

Quote:
they've put fourth some effort to release uncut dvd's at your request(even if they weren't very well advertised) and it failed.

So what, in your mind, would've been an appropiate advertising scheme to get One Piece being bought by Otaku? I want your example.
Nerv1

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:12 am Reply with quote
Sweet! This probably happened due to 4kids' awful tv shows, edits of good anime and the declining popularity of the edited Yugioh. They should rerelease the uncut yugioh and maybe an uncut One Piece.
Killer 7

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 7:14 am Reply with quote
heh, seems like they were beating a dead horse with the TMNT franchise. and GI Joe sigma six was no big hurrah either. I would have liked to have seen a more "realistic" version of this series. the animation is cool,but the story and dialogue is attrocious. better luck next time.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Shonen Bat wrote:
Day Two of this flame war is over. Can't WAIT for Day Three. Well I'm tired, it's 12:25 where I am, and I'm going to sleep. I need my energy in case of any more of these posts by Mohawk directed at me and Kouji.Hope this doesn't get this topic locked.
Obviously a pointless exercise in futility. I shall exhaust you both, or myself, no further. Rolling Eyes
FlamingPinecone

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:38 pm Reply with quote
1) all the reasons you stated are valid reasons for 4kids to pick it(one peice) up. its popular the mangas are selling and while Pirates of the Carribiean is a stretch, it's plausable.

2) how could they have advertised the uncut dvds?
they could've played some TV ads for the uncut dvd's or at the end of the shows be all "See this episide uncut on DVD!" and not only put parents on edge but got the word out to the Saturday morning fanbase (6-11). 4kids failed in that regard, but they did released uncut shows and as a person who likes a show, you should support it.

example:I got my uncut Ren and Stimpy's, it got very little advertising, I've seen no ads for seasons 1&2 or the Lost Episodes, seasons 3&4 got maybe a fraction of the tv space that garish Family Guy season who gives a fudge? got but i made an effort to keep up with what was coming out so I got them.

i still think my whole "they released uncut dvd's that didn't sell, so quit asking for them/complaining" argument is still valid. uncut dvd's were there from 4kids, as a fan you should've jumped on them.

fawhoooosh!
Shonen Bat

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Shonen Bat wrote:
Day Two of this flame war is over. Can't WAIT for Day Three. Well I'm tired, it's 12:25 where I am, and I'm going to sleep. I need my energy in case of any more of these posts by Mohawk directed at me and Kouji.Hope this doesn't get this topic locked.
Obviously a pointless exercise in futility. I shall exhaust you both, or myself, no further. Rolling Eyes

That's good. Go bother some other forum and tell the young people there that their opinions don't matter since they're young. And since you haven't apologized for what you said about my brother, I'm taking back my apology about your dad. Seriously. Don't you have anything better to do than argue with one kid who's only 21 and another kid who's only 15? Shouldn't you be more concerned about your "14 year old" than the kids of some other people. And what the hell's with that "pointless excercise in futililty" comment? It really WAS 12:25 where I live. I live in Wisconsin and it was really late. I have to get up at 6:30 in the morning just to go to school so I'm really tired when I get home. I don't know how long YOU spend on the computer arguing with kids and telling them their opinions are worthless but SOME OF US actually HAVE a life.

And one last thing. My brother may not have been around a lot but he DOES care about me. And he's a far better person than YOU are. At least he's nice to kids. At least he doesn't treat them like they're inferior little beings like you do. And y'know what else? He's always looked out for me, been there for me, taken care of me, and probably even protected me. Still think he doesn't care about his little brother? You say one more bad thing about him, and I'll tear your mouth off. Ya jerk.

EDIT: Sorry about that people. Please carry on.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:07 pm Reply with quote
FlamingPinecone wrote:
1) all the reasons you stated are valid reasons for 4kids to pick it(one peice) up. its popular the mangas are selling and while Pirates of the Carribiean is a stretch, it's plausable.

they could've played some TV ads for the uncut dvd's or at the end of the shows be all "See this episide uncut on DVD!" and not only put parents on edge but got the word out to the Saturday morning fanbase (6-11). 4kids failed in that regard, but they did released uncut shows and as a person who likes a show, you should support it.

example:I got my uncut Ren and Stimpy's, it got very little advertising, I've seen no ads for seasons 1&2 or the Lost Episodes, seasons 3&4 got maybe a fraction of the tv space that garish Family Guy season who gives a fudge? got but i made an effort to keep up with what was coming out so I got them.

i still think my whole "they released uncut dvd's that didn't sell, so quit asking for them/complaining" argument is still valid. uncut dvd's were there from 4kids, as a fan you should've jumped on them.

fawhoooosh!

And yet you ruin your argument by bringing up the fact that they weren't well advertised, so how on earth were the fans supposed to know about them to buy them? I'll admit, my level of devotion to SK borders on insanity, but I've never been jolted out of sleep at 2 AM thinking "My shaman senses are tingling! Must buy unadvertised, uncut DVD!"

I'm just asking.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Finally back on topic.

Pinecone:
Quote:
okay everyone getting on to me for my uncut dvd comments, consider this: if the sales for the cut anime they release isn't making any money what makes you think spending more money to release uncut anime would make them anymore money?

It gives people an incentive to see a version not shown on tv.

Quote:
its popular

In Japan, not the U.S.

Quote:
the mangas are selling

True, but Kahn thinks kids "don't read".

Quote:
and while Pirates of the Carribiean is a stretch,

You think a network would take a chance on a cartoon featuring a bunch of wise-cracking pirates if it wasn't for that Depp film?

Killer 7:
Quote:
and GI Joe sigma six was no big hurrah either. I would have liked to have seen a more "realistic" version of this series.

They tried it with the movie and that stupid 3-d spin-off called Extreme, and no one cared. G.I. Joe just isn't that big a franchise, even during the 80's, where it was riding Transformers' coattails.
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:16 pm Reply with quote
FlamingPinecone wrote:
fawhoooosh!

Say fawhoooosh one more time and i'm considering your arguements to be bunk and pointless.
Shonen Bat

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:52 pm Reply with quote
FlamingPinecone wrote:
1) all the reasons you stated are valid reasons for 4kids to pick it(one peice) up.

4Kid$ picked One Piece up becuase they knew it was pratically a cult favorite. They thought it would be popular with kids but instead, no one likes the dub and those that do are crazy.

Quote:
its popular the mangas are selling

Oh, but didn't you hear? Khan thinks kids today "don't read".

Quote:

They could've done a better jobs for starters. One example would have been to describe the episodes instead of putting the whole "It's Yu_Gi-Oh!/Shaman King like you've never seen it before: Unedited, unchanged, and uncut." over and over on the DVDs. And yes I have seen Yu-GI-Oh! and SHaman kIng unedited. I have the DVDs of these anime in Japanese.

Quote:

I DID jump at the news. I love Yu-GI-Oh! and Shaman King and was happy to hear they were releasing them uncut. For the first time, I GAVE 4Kid$ a chance and they blew it, along with the terrible new Sonic games. The real reason they pulled these DVDs off the market was because they were doing TOO well. Even better than their precious edited versions.

Quote:
fawhoooosh!

Abarenbo's right. Will you please stop with that?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:24 am Reply with quote
hey hey everyone be easy. Relax. 4kids is losing money. burn the Viva Pinata decorations.

Can't we all just get along? Crying or Very sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:15 am Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:
hey hey everyone be easy. Relax. 4kids is losing money. burn the Viva Pinata decorations.

Can't we all just get along? Crying or Very sad

I rather see a huge shakeup at 4Kids rather than them crash and burn. It's more fun that way!! Twisted Evil
FlamingPinecone

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:51 am Reply with quote
Murasakisuishou wrote:
FlamingPinecone wrote:

And yet you ruin your argument by bringing up the fact that they weren't well advertised, so how on earth were the fans supposed to know about them to buy them?

reread my ren and stimpy example.i make it a point to know what happens with my favorite shows. so should you.

Quote:
I DID jump at the news. I love Yu-GI-Oh! and Shaman King and was happy to hear they were releasing them uncut. The real reason they pulled these DVDs off the market was because they were doing TOO well. Even better than their precious edited versions.

good to hear people supporting something they like but i though the dvd's didn't sell.

Quote:

im chill, its all just cartoons at the end of the say, nothing serious.

viva pinata the game looks promising but it's rare so my standards are set to unscrupiously low levels. i probably wont even bother with the cartoon.

Quote:
Oh, but didn't you hear? Khan thinks kids today "don't read".

4kids has never shown much competence in knowing what kids like, ironicly. this is a point we can all agree on.

i suppose Khan thinks that Harry Potter is a fluke?

Quote:
Say fawhoooosh one more time and i'm considering your arguements to be bunk and pointless.

Quote:
Abarenbo's right. Will you please stop with that?

fawhooooosh!
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:06 pm Reply with quote
All right, just so I don't look like an idiot, can someone please explain to me how (if at all) the uncut DVDs from 4Kids were advertised? And I mean actually by 4Kids and not by outside sources; I should not have had to go poking all over the internet to find something that they apparently wanted to sell to me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Murasakisuishou wrote:
All right, just so I don't look like an idiot, can someone please explain to me how (if at all) the uncut DVDs from 4Kids were advertised? And I mean actually by 4Kids and not by outside sources; I should not have had to go poking all over the internet to find something that they apparently wanted to sell to me.

i was thinking about this for awhile. I can admit that I never saw any type of promotion for these dvds. I checked a few of my Shonen jumps and theres nothing there.

I honestly feel it was a word of mouth thing- and then the surprise to those who randomly saw them on the shelves. I know I walked into Media Play and was like: Untcut what?!

I feel they didn't really try to promote them, because they didn't want them to sell. That way when we ask for uncut dvds they say: Oh but they were there!
Even though they took the "time" to produce them.

Maybe someone esle has an answer.

Edit: And why the hell is the Funimation logo on the box?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8