• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Right Stuf's Nozomi Adds More Dirty Pair, Gasaraki, Nadesico

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:46 pm Reply with quote
kasuga_kun wrote:
They are remastering the Nadesico discs, which means no more sucky ADV overlays that almost ruined my viewing of the original DVD release.

Nadesico is already out on BluRay in Japan. So unless it's now that version, I'd wait on purchasing. AFanRips did like the first 8 episodes, so you can check their site to see the screengrabs. Here's one:
http://img607.imageshack.us/img607/2214/9242.png
In any case, even if it wasn't a Disney-level remaster, it'll look a whole hell of a lot better than any DVD.

Last edited by walw6pK4Alo on Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Crisha

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Hell yes, Nadesico! I've always been meaning to see that series, and Nozomi releasing it means it will be a quality release. *moe <3 wub for Nozomi*

And more Dirty Pair is always good. I have yet to get the series release, but I plan on it.

Thanks, Nozomi!

Man, what a great year for licensing at AX.

The only two things I'm crossing my fingers over now are Dennou Coil (which I doubt will ever happen) and Tatami Galaxy. Oh, second season releases of Story of Saiunkoku and Higurashi would be awesome as well, but I'm not really expecting them for this AX (if at all).

-----------

Frankly, I love having another company out there doing releases for older series.

But if ya reeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaally wanna get my attention, license Kimagure Orange Road or Maison Ikkoku, Nozomi. I would go coocoo for CoaCoa Puffs.

Those came out at a time when I was in college and didn't have as much money to spare. But even if I did, I wasn't aware of such awesome classics.

Or for a newer re-license, there's also Cardcaptor Sakura. I'd just about crap myself for that.

Last edited by Crisha on Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
potatochobit

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:58 pm Reply with quote
The Count wrote:
potatochobit wrote:
they should stop wasting their money on these junk licenses
the fad is gone, and I have not removed these videos from storage in years
Yep, Because every publisher should model their business to you alone. Why don't you give Right Stuf some suggestion on what kind of expensive titles they should be picking up, that way when they don't sell it will be the end of them.

if you think money doesn't matter in the anime industry, you are a fool.
Did you not see borders go out of business?
Do you not see anime and comic shops going out of business left and right, every month?

ADV dropped these licenses for a reason.
the show did not sell well when it was re-released a few years ago.
if you think people buy old anime you are misinformed.

some old shows are worth buying, such as what funimation is doing with yu yu hakusho on bluray. But others like nadesico should be left alone or released at a super budget price in the vast sea of monthly releases.

and aniplex announced puella magica I believe, so that is at least something.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:00 pm Reply with quote
potatochobit wrote:
The Count wrote:
potatochobit wrote:
Yep, Because every publisher should model their business to you alone. Why don't you give Right Stuf some suggestion on what kind of expensive titles they should be picking up, that way when they don't sell it will be the end of them.

Do you not see anime and comic shops going out of business left and right, every month?

some old shows are worth buying, such as what funimation is doing with yu yu hakusho on bluray. But others like nadesico should be left alone or released at a super budget price in the vast sea of monthly releases.

Obviously they can make money on licensing these old titles, otherwise they wouldn't. And Nozomi has the ability to see exactly how product moves because they can read their own sales numbers. I'm going to imagine they're very cheap licenses, and they have an established audience of older anime fans who want them. There likely isn't a whole lot to lose.
The Count

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:18 pm Reply with quote
potatochobit wrote:
The Count wrote:
potatochobit wrote:

My point was that you are using your personal preference in what is and isn't a good title as a standard for a company. Just because you think these titles are garbage doesn't make it so, and it doesn't mean that a buck can't be turn from them. Again you may find Funi's re release worth buying, but that is you. Without numbers and other release info I find it hard to tell a company what they should and shouldn't pick up.

And I'm not sure what you ment by your last line but, Aniplex is a different company that clearly has a different business model. Right Stuf never has operated like Aniplex and I doubt they will.
poehitman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:19 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
potatochobit wrote:
The Count wrote:
potatochobit wrote:

Obviously they can make money on licensing these old titles, otherwise they wouldn't. And Nozomi has the ability to see exactly how product moves because they can read their own sales numbers. I'm going to imagine they're very cheap licenses, and they have an established audience of older anime fans who want them. There likely isn't a whole lot to lose.

I was going to say the same thing. They must have got these licenses dirt cheap. Dirty Pair has been re-released more times than I can count. Which makes it even less worthy of their big "Coming Soon" license announcements.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:09 pm Reply with quote
I don't mind if they license older shows, but I have to say that I am disappointed at all the re-releases. There is nothing here that I will buy this time around, and that is kind of unusual for me with Nozomi. Sad
poehitman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:18 pm Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
I don't mind if they license older shows, but I have to say that I am disappointed at all the re-releases. There is nothing here that I will buy this time around, and that is kind of unusual for me with Nozomi. Sad

Well if you are a dub fan, re-mastered stuff is all you can hope for from RS/Nozomi. Anything new will most likely be released as a glorified fansub (i.e., sub-only release). That's why I usually cringe when I see one of these "Coming Soon" announcements. It normally means it's one less anime that's going to be getting a dub. But I always hope against hope they'll do a dub.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:36 pm Reply with quote
poehitman wrote:
tuxedocat wrote:

Well if you are a dub fan, re-mastered stuff is all you can hope for from RS/Nozomi. Anything new will most likely be released as a glorified fansub (i.e., sub-only release). That's why I usually cringe when I see one of these "Coming Soon" announcements. It normally means it's one less anime that's going to be getting a dub. But I always hope against hope they'll do a dub.

Nope. not a dub/sub debate. I buy either if I like the show. That wasn't my issue here at all.
poehitman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:37 pm Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
poehitman wrote:
tuxedocat wrote:

Nope. not a dub/sub debate. I buy either if I like the show. That wasn't my issue here at all.

Well, then your only problem would be if they came out with new stuff or not.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:43 pm Reply with quote
poehitman wrote:
tuxedocat wrote:
poehitman wrote:
tuxedocat wrote:

Well, then your only problem would be if they came out with new stuff or not.

Well, sort of. It doesn't have to be "new" new.

I think I just got my hopes up too much for Legend of the Galactic Heroes.
Embarassed

Last edited by tuxedocat on Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
JohnnySake

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, I am disappointed in the amount of negativity shown in this thread for these new licenses. If you already own the mentioned titles, that's fine. If not, it's a chance to buy it anew, with Nozomi's track record of quality dvd releases. As people have mentioned earlier, Kleckner and Co. are not inexperienced in selected licenses that they feel have a chance to be a profitable title choice.

Personally I am looking forward to all of these shows, I currently own none of them and now I can buy them, probably looking better, and sounding better when they did when they were originally released on dvd.
GhostShell

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:58 pm Reply with quote
I never have, and never will restrict myself to purchasing just the latest and greatest titles. Many of the older titles are worth a spot on my shelves, and I'm sure there must be enough interest in them, otherwise they wouldn't be re-releasing them. Recently, I picked up Space Pirate Captain Herlock: The Endless Odyssey - Outside Legend, and would love to get the original series. Just today, I picked up the re-release of Galaxy Express 999 and Adieu Galaxy Express 999. Until a few months ago, I had been on a long hunt for Gasaraki and didn't think I'd ever own it until someone I knew tipped me off as to where I could find a used box set at a reasonable price. Personally, I think there's a market for them.
OtakuboyT

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:24 pm Reply with quote
It's about time older series got some love. To be honest this newer stuff is weak. Maybe it's the CG animation, maybe it's the gainaxing of just. about. every. female. Last 2 AC Gundam series (Seed / 00) female captain, ship gets hit......jiggle WTF?

If LoGH gets licensed, I hope they don't go for some crappy over-priced Bandai-like limited release (SRW:OG).

You know what I'd like to see.......Dr. Slump.

Picking up Maison Ikkoku would be nice. I was SUPER lucky to get the last boxset new for 30 bucks, 2 years ago on amazon.ca somehow (on ebay it was going $100+ used).

I love my Irresponsible Captain Tylor mini-boxsets from Right Stuf. Sadly with Animeigo (just dropped $200 to filling my holes in UY) going the way of the Samurai, it's nice to see RS picking up the slack.
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Count me in the group who's tickled pink rather than underwhelmed here.
If the packages (and extras, please) are nice and remastering work has been done, I'll be replacing my current copies of a number of these with their Nozomi versions (Dirty Pair movies, Nadesico...), and getting a couple of new-to-me goodies from the list too.
My current Nadesico is a disgrace. It was ugly to start with, and now the spine has been shattered and the cover is torn!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5