• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Right Stuf's Nozomi Adds More Dirty Pair, Gasaraki, Nadesico

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Renaisance Otaku

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Some great rescues from ADV. Nadesico with the movie AND Gekigangar? Awesome. I wonder if it's the same remastered footage from the Japanese release, which was a bit manipulated looking. They basically crushed the hightones by boosting the midrange. At least on the DVD, though not as bad as the BV Macross remaster that went so far as to recolor some parts. Though the BD was a second try, if memory serves, as the DVD also suffered from an aliasing problem. As long as it still looks like a cell painted anime, it should be fine.Shame it'll probably only have the surround audio, which messes with the sound by adding new ones effects. Still, good to see it survive. If one of my all time favorites, and the ADV release looks better on VHS; I have it on both, the only gain DVD wise is the overlays are sharper, which causes them to stand out more. I never did get the overlay free version.

Also nice to see the Streamline dubs of Dirty Pair present. While inaccurate as usual with added dialog, The Movie dub is easily among their best work. I still get a kick out of it.

I also don't get the hating. If you don't like the show, don't post, at least not multiple times. You honestly think these are keeping "more worthy" new shows from getting licensed, you're mistaken. I appreciate that Nozomi sees value in titles that appeal to older fans, and Nadesico and Dirty Pair are classics in the sci-fi genre. Though Flash is something of an acquired taste for some of the harder fans of Kei and Yuri. Nadesico obviously did well enough to warrant a rerelease without overlays and a pickup of it's movie way back when. If a shows good, it'll find an audience, and Right Stuf obviously thinks that. Not everyone only watches the latest and greatest. Nadesico went over spectacularly well at my anime club when it was shown, and it was pretty old news then.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:32 pm Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
I don't mind if they license older shows, but I have to say that I am disappointed at all the re-releases. There is nothing here that I will buy this time around, and that is kind of unusual for me with Nozomi. Sad

Not the case. I'll definetly pick up DP Flash. ADV's print has been OOP for over 3 years, early on in my early otaku years I skipped it because I thought it would be too much for my then naive mind still new to anime.

TRSF license rescues two great ADV titles that came out in Japan the same year: 1995. This has made my day!
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:27 am Reply with quote
Renaisance Otaku wrote:
I also don't get the hating. If you don't like the show, don't post, at least not multiple times.

Sorry, but I think it is fair for anyone to express their disappointment or their happiness. Free speech, right?

Renaisance Otaku wrote:
You honestly think these are keeping "more worthy" new shows from getting licensed, you're mistaken. I appreciate that Nozomi sees value in titles that appeal to older fans, and Nadesico and Dirty Pair are classics in the sci-fi genre.

I don't think anyone ever said that. I'm just looking at my collection. My Nadesico and Gasaraki boxes are there and they are still in really good shape! It makes it kind of hard to get really excited over the new editions, especially when money is kind of an issue.

An earlier poster mentioned Maison Ikkoku. I probably would have gotten really excited over that announcement. Some people, not so much. But I would never tell them they couldn't post about their disappointment.
FaytLein

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:38 am Reply with quote
OMG YES Gekigangar! While its just a short little movie, I would love to see a non crappy version of it. And Nadesico, if the Blu Ray is available, the quality of those are pretty darn good. I thought it would be Macross, but this stuff is just as good. Might just have to reup for this one, just like I did for Utena. That signet ring is calling me.......
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:07 am Reply with quote
Nadesico is a maybe. It'll be good to see a complete collection of this one back in the market.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:46 am Reply with quote
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:
tuxedocat wrote:
I don't mind if they license older shows, but I have to say that I am disappointed at all the re-releases. There is nothing here that I will buy this time around, and that is kind of unusual for me with Nozomi. Sad

Not the case. I'll definetly pick up DP Flash. ADV's print has been OOP for over 3 years, early on in my early otaku years I skipped it because I thought it would be too much for my then naive mind still new to anime.

TRSF license rescues two great ADV titles that came out in Japan the same year: 1995. This has made my day!

Heh I'll be double-dipping on DP Flash since I've got ADVs old VHS tapes and I doubt I'll have a VHS player much longer once this dual DVD-VHS player eventually goes lol.
Wrial Huden

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:57 am Reply with quote
Quote:

btw, i was hoping RightStuf's gonna report they'd acquired remastered Kimagure Orange Road.

Make it so, Kleckner!

I'm with you there, friend! The OOP Animeigo release is soooo expensive and not really a great release. Many of the TV series discs have the opening and closing credits omitted. The OVA release is OK, but still rather pricey. The only thing KOR that you can get cheap is the "Summer's Beginning" movie.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:04 am Reply with quote
Wow, we haven't shown the club these titles in over a decade!
It's like Turner Classic Movies! Laughing
ittoujuu

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 3:05 am Reply with quote
I own Kimagure Orange Road on DVD, but I like it enough that I'd probably buy it again if Nozomi released a remastered version. Also, thanks for reminding me that I still need to pick up the "Summer's Beginning" movie at some point.

Dirty Pair I've been tenuous on (kinda want to get it, not sure if I'd like it), but I'm not fond enough of either Nadesico or Gasaraki to pick them up. Gasaraki especially leaves me scratching my head, thinking "there were that many people who really were interested in getting this?" Nadesico is a classic license, though, so I can definitely see the sense in releasing it. I'm sure it'll find enough buyers to be worthwhile, especially if Nozomi treats it as nicely as they did with the Utena license.

Though, I've still got Victorian Romance Emma in my to-purchase queue, so when the double-pack set comes out, I'll pick that one up.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:22 am Reply with quote
Count me among the disappointed. Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't Gasaraki and Nadesico still relatively easy to find? Definitely not as exciting as last year's announcements of the Utena re-license and picking up a never-released before show, Sound of the Sky.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:59 am Reply with quote
Serious question:

Will the Nadescio include the God-tier, ham filled dub? I, for one, love Spike Spencer as Akito. Also; Gekiganger? Subbed or dubbed? GLORIOUS DAY IS GLORIOUS!
jsc315

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:17 am Reply with quote
Well If they released all of Dirty Pair it must have done well enough to warrant the rescue of the OVA series and the best move of the collection Project EDEN. So yes I would have to say they do. Discotek business model in part all they do is release older show and I love Nozomi and Discotek for doing this as many of the stuff I love and many others that I know do too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:08 am Reply with quote
I'd like of like to see if Distotek or Nozomi start picking up tons of other older anime that have had remasters or even BD releases. Like Riding Bean, Bubblegum Crisis, Cleopatra DC, Windaria, Genmu Senki Leda.
UtenaAnthy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:03 pm Reply with quote
willag wrote:
The only two things I'm crossing my fingers over now are Dennou Coil (which I doubt will ever happen) and Tatami Galaxy.

-----------

Frankly, I love having another company out there doing releases for older series.

But if ya reeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaally wanna get my attention, license Kimagure Orange Road or Maison Ikkoku, Nozomi. I would go coocoo for CoaCoa Puffs.

Or for a newer re-license, there's also Cardcaptor Sakura. I'd just about crap myself for that.

Dennou Coil has been licensed in australia (and the first boxset is coming out in September, I assume this year) and The Tatami Galaxy is licensed and released in australia and licensed in the u.k. though there's no news on when it's coming out yet, so if you have a multi-region player then that's an option.

I would love to own Kimagure Orange Road and all of Cardcaptor Sakura on DVD.

I really enjoyed both Nadesico (the TV series, I thought the movie was terrible) and Gasaraki, I'll have to get round to rewatching them at some point so that I can see whether any of the discs have problems, in which case I'd buy the rerelease of the show in question. It would also be nice to have the Gekiganger 3 OVA.
KoujiTamino

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:47 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
I hope they don't lose money on Flash. (Casual fan getting into old-school stuff) Ok, so I love the old series, so the new one should be even bet...what the hell is this?! Rolling Eyes

Yes, because Flash has zero fans, right? Rolling Eyes

I actually like Flash better, so I'm definitely double dipping. And I know I'm not the only one. Those old ADV dvds look awful.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5