• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex USA Adds Madoka Magica, Blue Exorcist on Home Video

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Aniplex has been releasing some solid titles let alone the DVDs/BDs themselves have all been solid releases overall. Chances are I will be buying Madoka.

It also sounds like either the Bakemonogatari license fell through or they're still negotiating given their earlier update. What's really nice though is that Aniplex USA will be trying to keep up with their Japanese counterpart. This is really what a lot of companies need to start doing. Hopefully we see more of this kind of action in the coming years.
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Blue Exorcist was a given, but I didn't expect Madoka Magica. They just won AX in my eyes.

Last edited by v1cious on Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Getting my debit card soon and now I'll loose all my money, excellent.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:03 pm Reply with quote
I AM THE VAST UNIVERSE wrote:
I guess this means Blue Exorcist won't have an english dub..that's a real let down..I'm not a fan of Aniplex and their ridiculous methods.

I'm nether a dub-purist nor a sub-elitist, but I don't see why they aren't doing a dub for Blue Exorcist. They are already running Drrrr! on Adult Swim. Blue Exorcist is the type of show that gets a lot of viewers on Adult Swim! This doesn't make sense to me.
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:03 pm Reply with quote
I just saw a review of Madoka, I am interested, but I'll only think about buying it, if they stream it first, because I don't like blind buying anything.
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:

I actually haven't gotten around to watching Madoka yet (not that I haven't read a billion spoilers for it) but I may just buy it "blind".

I haven't watched it either, but am very curious. I'll probably buy it blind too.
silencer226

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Glad Madoka got licensed, not because I loved the show (I did), but because now I can cancel the imports and save some money. Not sure what to do with the 2 japanese volumes I imported now...
Finny-chan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Yay Blue Exorcist on DVD, but no dub???

F you Aniplex you better dub it later. First Kimi ni Todoke then this why are my favorite series not getting a dub?

They better give me some darn good extras if they are really releasing subbed only.

Then again I probably won't but it anyways since I can watch it for free anytime I want to on Crunchyroll.
sakuramusicstar

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:31 pm Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
I guess this means Blue Exorcist won't have an english dub..that's a real let down..I'm not a fan of Aniplex and their ridiculous methods.

I'm nether a dub-purist nor a sub-elitist, but I don't see why they aren't doing a dub for Blue Exorcist. They are already running Drrrr! on Adult Swim. Blue Exorcist is the type of show that gets a lot of viewers on Adult Swim! This doesn't make sense to me.

I agree. It seems the series would be something Adult Swim will love to have if there was a dub.

Blue Exorcist with no dub is saddening.
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:03 pm Reply with quote
sakuramusicstar wrote:
tuxedocat wrote:

I agree. It seems the series would be something Adult Swim will love to have if there was a dub.

Blue Exorcist with no dub is saddening.
exactly. altho I'm happy to know I can buy it now, I was pretty much hoping for a dub and a possible run on Adult Swim (if only because I love to obsessively collect stuff related to series I especially like and that would mean more domestic goodies). it seemed like it was only logical it would get a dub when released here, but then with the issues with the economy and the industry I guess this is far better than nothing.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:13 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised that there won't be an English version of Blue Exorcist; it doesn't seem as narrow in its appeal as the sort of series that usually are left to subtitles.

Incidentally, where is the fact that it won't be dubbed into English stated? Is everybody inferring this from the fact that the trailer was in Japanese with subtitles and that it wasn't announced as such, or has the already precipitous decline in my reading comprehension accelerated to a truly alarming rate?

I'm genuinely curious about Puella Magi Madoka Magica, but don't really know much about it. The quantity and nature of the attention that it's gotten make it stand out, but also make me innately skeptical. I'm guardedly keen to learn more about it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ss-hikaru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Oh wow! I'm surprised it got picked up so fast, guess I was expecting to go the way of Bakemonogatari (which apparently was a big hit? *hasn't watched it). I wonder who will bring it over to Australia! Siren brought over Durarara, but apparently Madman has the rights to Blue Exorcist (hey, whatever happened to that planned simulcast....?)? I'm guessing that if there's no dub it'll automatically fall to Siren ^^ Which will make me happy!!! *throws money at Siren*
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:23 pm Reply with quote
mglittlerobin wrote:
tenebrusmke79 wrote:
The King of Harts wrote:
Anime Remix wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:
Uh oh guys, this Blue Exorcist show seems like it might have some mainstream appeal. We better nip that in the bud by releasing it across four individual DVDs!
I wonder how many episodes will be on the DVDs... Confused

I'd guess 7/6/6/6. That seems like a tight fit and a little odd for a Japanese company to cram so many episodes on a DVD and risk poor video quality.

I liked Blue Excorcist, but I'll just keep with the Premium video being offered here on ANN. A dub could change that, though.
Unfortunately, a dub won't happen for Blue Exorcist. Aniplex said that they're releasing the series subtitle-only.

I'm not going to be buying Blue Exorcist if it's a sub only. I like having the option of a dub, I'm watching it subbed already and I don't mind the commercials, since there's no dub, I don't really want to buy it without that option. I'm perfectly fine with legal streaming.

Agreed, also shows like Blue Exorcist are just really fun to re-watch with a dub, just like both Fullmetals, Bleach, etc.. I really hope it ends up getting a Blu-ray and a dub if they get enough outcry from a huge show of that level not getting a dub (and a bd) to reach a wider audience (like all of those types of shows have in the US) otherwise I would have much rather Funimation get it as we'd be assured both for a title of this level, this is not some small market or niche show.

If the report is accurate and they really specified only subtitle DVD and no blu-ray or dub release that's just ridiculously disappointing for a huge show like Blue Exorcist to me (I can't even believe we're not getting a Blu-ray for a show that looks this good visually Sad)...I'll wait for a second confirmation but that's just Bandai Visual level bad, Aniplex is just getting worse and worse after starting out pretty promising and after getting my hopes up with their big casting spree for the Durarara dub...I really thought they were going to "get" the US market (even if they had to sub-only certain niche shows)...

Last edited by DangerMouse on Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:36 pm; edited 4 times in total
Mr Big200

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:27 pm Reply with quote
wooo now I get to buy Madoka im not sure about Blue Exorcist I am enjoying it watching on Hulu but I might wait till it gets a dub but its all good
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:32 pm Reply with quote
..hmm good news for me, now all need is a bank loan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9