• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: NicoNico's English Site Lists 6 Summer Anime Titles

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:51 am Reply with quote
cyberbeing wrote:

The stream was 23.976 fps, but it was IVTC'd horribly, resulting in a stuttering mess with large frame jumps whenever there is movement (not a Flash problem). Either ItsuTen was actually a 29.976 fps show, or extremely sloppy frame-rate decimation was used.

Frankly I don't understand this at all because the video I provided is flawless 23.976 with no stuttering whatsoever.
In fact, the source was 24 fps straight from an HDCAM 24psf file with no telecine to begin with (which I them slowed down to 23.976 (24000/1001) precisely).

How they managed to screw that up is beyond me. Perhaps they created a 24 fps project in premier, edited it without frame blending, then reconverted it to 23.976 on final encode or something.
cyberbeing

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:58 pm Reply with quote
I only did a quick run-through on R-15 ep01 and Uta Prince ep02, but they seem to be following a similar trend to ItsuTen ep01.

2-pass encoding @ 995 kbps is uses on all three.

Ringing/blocking artifacts on the edges of all three.

All three are oversharpened to some degree.

Uta Prince ep02 is a stuttering mess like ItsuTen ep01, even though both are 23.976.

R-15 ep01 for whatever reason is smooth.

All three continue to be 640x352 padded to 640x360.

Right now their biggest downfall is the seemingly 50/50 chance of them somehow messing up the frame-rate. I suspect they don't know how to deal with the 24PsF format and are mistakenly treating it as interlaced and using a 3:2 pulldown, when they should be using the 2:2 pulldown method specific to PsF, and then converting the resulting lower framerate back to 23.976.

The next thing is they need to learn not to oversharpen their encodes. It's bad for bitrate, and if you are giving them 10-bit 1080p HDCAM sources for some of these shows (the ones destined for Crunchyroll?), I doubt sharpening is even needed. Downscaling alone should give them all the sharpness they need. Slightly blurry is preferable over oversharpened any day, since it resizes so much nicer when going to fullscreen.

After that comes bitrate. If they learn not to oversharpen their encodes, they may be able to get away with 2-pass encoding at 995 kbps, but I still believe they should give themselves a bit of breathing room and bump the bitrate to ~1200 kbps. Again, since people will be watching these tiny 640x360 encodes in fullscreen, having them as pristine as possible is important. Ringing, blocking and other issues become all the more apparent when resized to 2-3x the size.

The last is resolving this 640x352 padded to 640x360 issue. As it currently stands, x264 is wasting a large number of bits attempting to maintain those hard edges. Actually encoding the video at 640x352 would be more efficient than 640x360 w/ padding, if they must use that aspect ratio.

Since we now have a trend of three very similar encodes in a row, this is all getting somewhat repetitive at this point. To give them a bit of time to fix things, I'll likely hold off until the end of next week before reporting any changes. It's hard to tell if they are fumbling around in the dark with the nicovideo.jp platform or making educated changes for a particular reason, but if they keep at it, they have a good chance of resolving all issues before they leave beta in Winter.

Edit: Almost forgot to mention the workaround I found for the stalling expired auth-token problem. It appears the auth-token are issued globally on NicoNico. If your video stalls and refuses to buffer, just load any other simulcast temporarily in a new window/tab, wait for the video to load, and the stalled player should suddenly begin to resume buffering from where it left off, at which point you can close the new tab you used for jump-starting. Kind of annoying, but it's better than waiting for it to buffer from scratch.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3