• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works (Episodes 0-12 Streaming)

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
_Archer_

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:51 pm Reply with quote
The dub voices were certainly much better than you'd think from the trailers, but some lines still just came across as awkward at times. A Saber vs Rider fight would've been pretty neat, but it really wouldn't have fit in the story. The interviews really are great though. The season 2 blu rays sound like they'll be much better in terms of added content. I'm curious if they'll have any new interviews and details about planning for Heaven's Feel as well.
getumbuck

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:47 am Reply with quote
_Archer_ wrote:
The dub voices were certainly much better than you'd think from the trailers, but some lines still just came across as awkward at times. A Saber vs Rider fight would've been pretty neat, but it really wouldn't have fit in the story. The interviews really are great though. The season 2 blu rays sound like they'll be much better in terms of added content. I'm curious if they'll have any new interviews and details about planning for Heaven's Feel as well.

Just wondering are the new scenes dubbed or only part of the subbed versions of the episodes? I noticed they weren't on the dubbed episodes on Netflix.
Videogamep

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:39 am Reply with quote
getumbuck wrote:
_Archer_ wrote:

Just wondering are the new scenes dubbed or only part of the subbed versions of the episodes? I noticed they weren't on the dubbed episodes on Netflix.

They're just on the blu-rays. Netflix only has the broadcast version.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
getumbuck

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:48 am Reply with quote
Videogamep wrote:
getumbuck wrote:

But are they dubbed or subbed only on the Blu-Ray?
Videogamep

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:04 am Reply with quote
getumbuck wrote:
Videogamep wrote:

But are they dubbed or subbed only on the Blu-Ray?

They're probably both. I don't see any reason why they would have some parts be sub only.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:24 pm Reply with quote
_Archer_ wrote:

and its a definitely change from the 2006 dub version. while the newer voices are better,especially when it came to changing VA for shiro and kotomine, they definitely shouldnt have changed archer's VA.

Quote:
Beyond the core character work, Unlimited Blade Works' writing gets a whole lot murkier.

unfortunately all the routes are like that,and they had to keep the script faithful towards the VN.otherwise those type moon fanatics would gripe like there's nobody's business.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Stelman257

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:10 am Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
they definitely shouldnt have changed archer's VA.

Videogamep wrote:
It's too bad they didn't keep Liam O'Brien as Archer; he really nailed that role in the 2006 anime. At least his replacement did a pretty good job.

Haha don't worry, Liam O'Brien's amazing work as Archer didn't go unnoticed by Kaiji Tang, very much the opposite actually.
http://kaijitang.tumblr.com/post/127150646240/the-tale-of-two-archers-heroic-bad-ass-vs-broken

I'm loving Kaiji Tang's Archer a lot, and I'm so badly looking forward to the second half of this dub.
Animerican14

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:33 pm Reply with quote
In light of how the reviewer has already written the review of the first season and saw the whole series before the blu-ray review, I'm a bit sad that there weren't really any new observations made or aspects remarked upon regarding the core content, aside from the blu-ray additions. Then again, I can see how one's thoughts on the first half might not be any different on a re-watch, and a review of the first season alone, months separated from a review of season two, should only stick to being about the first season.

The second half, though, may benefit more via a re-watch, and be susceptible to newer observations. Or at least, I hope so for the sake of others' enjoyment and further validation of my own feelings, knowing how Nick (who might be the reviewer of the 2nd BD?) among others have already expressed dislike for the second season while it streamed, hah. Anime hyper When that season is viewed in closer proximity with the 1st season, or just has its episodes watched closer together to smooth out some ever-present pacing issues, I feel it'll work more cohesively.

Raebo101 wrote:
Besides, this show stops being good around here, right guys? Guys?
...I think I'll leave now. Arrow

I actually think I like the core content better in this half than the first half-- it feels a lot more focused to me and really gets into the meaty stuff that distinguishes it as a story in Fate/stay night. I even appreciated several aspects more than I did the first time around while reading the VN! So no, many most certainly don't think that way about the 2nd season.

@Stelman257
Hey, thanks for pointing that link out-- I was thinking of linking that when I finally got around to making my first post in the thread since the updated review, but you beat me to it. It makes me look forward to hearing more of Kaiji Tang; even if I may not completely warm up to his performance, at least I very much know his heart is in the right place. (And he seems to really "get" Archer's character at that; it's awesome to see actors really get into and talk about their roles.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 11 of 11