• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: A Chivalry of the Failed Knight Light Novels Get Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Ok, one of two things:
1. The guy will lose in a close match and has to serve the heroine, and of course they develop this master-slave relationship. Most likely the heroine is tsundere as well.
2. The girl "surprisingly" loses to the boy because he apparently has a hidden power or something and now she has to serve him.
Is it just me, or did this ring Absolute Duo, Seiken Tsukai no World Break, Mahouka Koukou no Rettesou, Seirei Tsukai no Blade Dance, etc. etc.? I feel like I've read this premise many times before...
Quote:
Huh, another LN adaptation about an unremarkable dude and his super-powered red-haired ladyfriend. Is it so much to ask that our generic LN waifus have, say, yellow or purple hair for a change?

Definitely. 100% agree. We need some variety here.
Quote:
I am starting to feel like an old man that no longer gets what is the latest fad. AFAIK people were really fed up with the wimpy (reads as pathetic) main character that somehow is popular with the opposite sex. Now you tell me you are expecting the protagonist to be your average wuss? I give up, I no longer understand you people.

Given my understanding, the reason for this is because of the different genres. A Chivalry of a Failed Knight is a Science Fiction if I am correct. This is a genre very popular for adapted LNs. People are used to seeing a main character treated as "the worst and weakest person" on campus. It is always something along the lines of that he is weak, but actually has hidden powers that were never expressed. It ticks people off when they see a main character just suddenly get strong without showing any effort in him doing so. It is very cliche. Combine that with the stereotypical arrogant red-haired princess who for no good reason challenges him to a duel where the loser becomes a slave, you have a very unoriginal show.
Parse Error

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:28 pm Reply with quote
@willag -
I'll take #2 please, but only if it's written by Urobuchi Gen!

_Cyphon_ wrote:
A Chivalry of a Failed Knight is a Science Fiction if I am correct.

Doesn't sound like Sci-fi at all. Urban Fantasy Romantic Comedy would seem more appropriate.

Even the better shows of this type have synopses that make them look like nothing more than pale imitations of their predecessors, so that alone doesn't discourage me. However, to the extent that I've watched them, the shows filling this particular niche in recent seasons have seemed rather uninspired, so between that and the mixed opinions coming from people familiar with the source material, it's a bit difficult to be optimistic.

Last edited by Parse Error on Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Broly The Saiyan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:42 pm Reply with quote
_Cyphon_ wrote:
Ok, one of two things:
1. The guy will lose in a close match and has to serve the heroine, and of course they develop this master-slave relationship. Most likely the heroine is tsundere as well.
2. The girl "surprisingly" loses to the boy because he apparently has a hidden power or something and now she has to serve him.
Is it just me, or did this ring Absolute Duo, Seiken Tsukai no World Break, Mahouka Koukou no Rettesou, Seirei Tsukai no Blade Dance, etc. etc.? I feel like I've read this premise many times before...
Quote:
Huh, another LN adaptation about an unremarkable dude and his super-powered red-haired ladyfriend. Is it so much to ask that our generic LN waifus have, say, yellow or purple hair for a change?

Quote:
I am starting to feel like an old man that no longer gets what is the latest fad. AFAIK people were really fed up with the wimpy (reads as pathetic) main character that somehow is popular with the opposite sex. Now you tell me you are expecting the protagonist to be your average wuss? I give up, I no longer understand you people.

Given my understanding, the reason for this is because of the different genres. A Chivalry of a Failed Knight is a Science Fiction if I am correct. This is a genre very popular for adapted LNs. People are used to seeing a main character treated as "the worst and weakest person" on campus. It is always something along the lines of that he is weak, but actually has hidden powers that were never expressed. It ticks people off when they see a main character just suddenly get strong without showing any effort in him doing so. It is very cliche. Combine that with the stereotypical arrogant red-haired princess who for no good reason challenges him to a duel where the loser becomes a slave, you have a very unoriginal show.

Only absolute duo has similar story and setting. The rest is different story wise, though even if it was the same as all of them japan has thousands of manga. Being similar to 4 is small compared to that.

Last edited by Broly The Saiyan on Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:44 pm Reply with quote
_Cyphon_ wrote:
Quote:
Is it so much to ask that our generic LN waifus have, say, yellow or purple hair for a change?

... or real muscles, this is an academy where strong chicks should flock to.

Quote:
Given my understanding, the reason for this is because of the different genres. A Chivalry of a Failed Knight is a Science Fiction if I am correct.

From what I have seen I would call it "fantasy" instead of "sci-fi" since the "materializing your soul" can't have any scientific base.

Quote:
It ticks people off when they see a main character just suddenly get strong without showing any effort in him doing so.

From what I have seen that is not the case here, you know how in real life not always the smartest is at the top in a school.

Quote:
Combine that with the stereotypical arrogant red-haired princess who for no good reason challenges him to a duel where the loser becomes a slave

Here there be tsundere.
LucioV24

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:07 pm Reply with quote
_Cyphon_ wrote:
Ok, one of two things:

it is not exactly like that, the heroine thought that she is range A could win the match easily, because he is range F and master-slave relationship was part of the bet.
_Cyphon_ wrote:

the girl lost the match not for hidden power(actually he not has any kind of power), she lost for his specially technique(the only one that he has).

About the main character he is the weakest in his school because he has not magical power and for this reason he was despised at school and for familiar matters, he was not allowed to participate in tournaments of the school to show his skills
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:13 pm Reply with quote
Animelover12313 wrote:
Now I'll predict that this "failed knight" will somehow beat the girl and make her obey him forever? Anime hyper

Heh, I was thinking the same thing.

I think the biggest potential pitfall for me that may get in the way of me enjoying it is that I suppose it doesn't help that I'm tired of this pure wish fulfillment way of forcing a relationship between the two leads.

Kadmos1 wrote:
A LN/harem LN where the lead guy and girl have acknowledged their feelings this early on is something that seems out of the norm since other series it can take more volumes for such to happen.

That sounds kind of promising atleast.
ZODDGUTS

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Glad people are starting to wise up with the trashy quality of LN. Majority are terrible that are written for Otaku's fantasies. Shit is bad.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:00 pm Reply with quote
ZODDGUTS wrote:

Glad people are starting to wise up with the trashy quality of LN. Majority are terrible that are written for Otaku's fantasies. Shit is bad.

Like Hollywood that millions of people can still enjoy. LN is our Hollywood.
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:11 pm Reply with quote
LucioV24 wrote:
it is not exactly like that, the heroine thought that she is range A could win the match easily, because he is range F and master-slave relationship was part of the bet.

Why would an A rank duel a F rank though? What she is doing is only bullying. By winning she would gain no advantage since it would be seen as an unfair fight, and by losing she would gain no advantage since she would have to serve him. Logically speaking, challenging him in the first place bore no gain for her. What would she need of a servant that was a F rank student?
Quote:
the girl lost the match not for hidden power(actually he not has any kind of power), she lost for his specially technique(the only one that he has).

About the main character he is the weakest in his school because he has not magical power and for this reason he was despised at school and for familiar matters, he was not allowed to participate in tournaments of the school to show his skills

Ah, I see a parallel to Mahouka right there. And also, what kind of crappy teaching institutions are these.... They gauge students based on their magical powers without even testing their true abilities. I thought the objective of high schools was to produce good students? If it was discrimination like in Mahouka that would be fine, but not being allowed in tournaments means that the school is behind it as well?! This school needs to be torn down. This instant.

Quote:
Doesn't sound like Sci-fi at all. Urban Fantasy Romantic Comedy would seem more appropriate.

Ah, sorry. I thought they were using their power in accordance with technology like Mahouka. Doesn't seem like it though.
Parse Error

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:21 pm Reply with quote
ZODDGUTS wrote:
Majority are terrible that are written for Otaku's fantasies.

The majority of everything is terrible and made for audiences that elitists would view as beneath contempt. It doesn't help that you're probably mostly or perhaps even exclusively familiar with what gets adapted into late-night anime which heavily depends on otaku as consumers, thus skewing the selection in their favor.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:40 pm Reply with quote
I get tired of these complaints, this a subset of the harem genre, fantasy harem.

Any anime genre will have a lot similarities. O look its a shoujo, where some average girl gets bullied on by the hottest guy because he likes her.

Oh its a shounen, kid with a mysterious power throw in a tournament arc and you are golden.

Mechs, teens in robots that can only be piloted by people with X trait, throw in a splash of angst or politics.

Moe, put in some high school girls who look like they are five, throw in some lesbian undertones, and have basically no plot and you are gold.

And so on. If this doesn't appeal to you then don't bother posting in a thread devoted to the work. Its not going to change. Whenever Paranormal activity 7 drops its not going to turn into a comedy musical romance all of a sudden.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:57 am Reply with quote
_Cyphon_ wrote:
Ah, I see a parallel to Mahouka right there. And also, what kind of crappy teaching institutions are these.... They gauge students based on their magical powers without even testing their true abilities. I thought the objective of high schools was to produce good students? If it was discrimination like in Mahouka that would be fine, but not being allowed in tournaments means that the school is behind it as well?! This school needs to be torn down. This instant.

TBT, the objective of said measures was spoiler[to prevent our protagonist from ever graduating, institutionalized bullying at its "best", see Assassination Classroom for a non specific example]
Sinbad96

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:43 am Reply with quote
Yause wrote:
Animelover12313 wrote:
Did all the LNs writers came together in a meeting to share their ideas of something? Because this show premise sounds just like every other shows that were adapted from LNs from the past few seasons.

They're mainly fans copying popular light novels that came just a few years before. These aren't seasoned writers but young guys who're getting published for the first time.

It's the equivalent of a bunch of us on this forum submitting stuff to publishers and actually getting signed because companies eager to throw any mud at the wall to see what sticks.

Nope. It's the Tolkien Effect. You write what's popular and this genre is hot right now. Light novels at times are equivalent to the trash from the magazine days of Edgar Rice Burroughs.
Lelouch Vi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:02 pm Reply with quote
So many people complaining about it being generic, need to realize that when it comes down to it, every story is generic, or starts off on a generic basis, nothing is truly original as no idea is similar or singular, it's just about implementation. I can guarantee that most of the beloved series start off with a generic premise
ikf

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Lelouch Vi wrote:
So many people complaining about it being generic, need to realize that when it comes down to it, every story is generic, or starts off on a generic basis, nothing is truly original as no idea is similar or singular, it's just about implementation. I can guarantee that most of the beloved series start off with a generic premise

Indeed, just because it has a same genre or similar beginning doesn't mean that whole thing will be same. Let me give you my version of a synopsis so that some may stop whining.

A story of boy who was born in distinguished family of magic users, devoid of using magic since birth was hated and bullied by his family, relatives and all adults surrounding him just because he was odd one out and didn't possessed strong magic unlike others member of distinguished family. when it became unbearable, that small boy left home at age 10 but that still didn't make any difference to his family rather they were glad that he was gone and their family will not be shamed by him.

Later, that boy enrolled into one of top institutions to become knight to prove his existence. Since nobody taught him anything, he learned everything by observing and analysing other people fighting and stealing other people's techniques and improving it and making his own. But his family didn't want him to graduate because according to them him, a F-rank knight coming from a distinguished family will ruin the family's reputation. They pressured the authorities at institution to never let him graduate by disqualifying him from taking any exams. This has resulted him failing a year without being allowed to show his worth. Now, due to new director and her policy he is able to show show his true worth by defeating strong student with his limited magic by his way of fighting.

Our female protagonist was made his roommate by new school director without informing either of them and it lead to some misunderstanding and to resolve this misunderstanding, director asked them to have a mock battle. Because he thought he could win against A-rank Miss Princess, our princess thought he was mocking her and so she angrily placed a stupid bet that the loser will obey the winner for whole life and later our MC a F ranked knight defeats A ranked princess in the mock battle.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4