• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sound! Euphonium (TV + movies + OAV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
meiam

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Fun episode but nothing more. The beginning was far more interesting than the rest. I guess the problem is the show is walking the tightrope between been a serious show about drama and competition and being a cute girl doing nothing. I think the former is far more interesting (and let it stand out amongst the many many cute girl doing cute things) but the later is far easier to do.

P.S.: After this week episode, ima be pissed if they really just have Kumiko and Kousaka end up as "just friend". There's making subtle hint about it and then there's this.
Sunny milk

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 12:42 am Reply with quote
Shikiari wrote:

I really enjoyed this episode, even though it didn't quite reach the high standard of last week. I'm glad they spent some time with spoiler[Hazuki's character development as she is by far the weakest out of the four.]

What about "Only Getting a Few Lame Jokes on Name" Sapphire?

@meiam
Apparently, doing "cute girls doing cute things" right is hard enough, at least if that was their intention, since this series has very small cuteness value, everything is gloomy if anything.
Also, there's absolutely no chance, or indication that Kumiko and Kousaka would somehow end up as "more" than friends.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 1:42 am Reply with quote
Episode 6

There really is quite a lot of detail put into the playing of instruments, that is at least sound wise. Other parts that are great are like their awkward male senpai trying to explain what is great about the tuba, apparently being shy. And Kumiko continues to be really cool in her commentary, actually spoiler[having to be told she said something out loud]. I guess it is not only Kyon either, but Watashi from Humanity has Declined, that I am reminded of.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 6:59 am Reply with quote
"Meddlesome, Cute Demon" - Laughing

Anyway, I'm trying to get the word out about a change in ANN policy regarding using spoiler tags when discussing events in an episode that has aired. Assuming you are posting in a discussion thread dedicated to the show, you no longer need to use spoiler tags to discuss stuff that happened in episodes that have aired.

Obviously, you still have to spoiler tag stuff from source material (and identify it as such) or if you discuss events from a DIFFERENT show.

Link that explains the above and other stuff about how to use spoiler tags correctly
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Episode 7:

So Aoi quits the band D:

I kinda like her although it looks like she is going to focus on her academics and future, a reason that I think is quite common during later years in students life.

I'm not sure how I feel about Asuka tbh. I think she has leadership characteristics but not everyone accepts her. And anyways, I also wonder if this series will have a romance sub-plot now based on the ending there.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TRNielson

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Episode 7

It's been obvious from practically day 1 that there was something going on with Aoi. And it certainly took center stage with her departure. While it never felt like she was a huge part of the band, her quitting seems to have taken a toll.

Of course, there were suppressed emotions and thoughts boiling underneath the surface that Aoi's departure brought bursting out. Pres starts questioning why she's allowed to be in charge, considering how outgoing and popular Asuka is. I feel like there is something more to Asuka that we haven't seen yet and I hope we get a chance to see it before the show ends.

Looks like we're gonna see a split with Kumiko and Hazuki. Of course, we can sit here and be like "No, there's totally nothing between them." But, we're smarter than the average teenage girl and we know exactly where it's gonna go. Gonna be interesting to see Team Kumiko split.

Loved the moment on the train where Kousaka came out of nowhere. Got a good laugh out of me.

EDIT: I really wanna know the story behind the two flashbacks we've gotten with Kumiko. We've actually gotten multiple (her crying over the euph in her home last episode) that have been intriguing, but the ones with the other woman, I wanna know that story. Current fan theory is that Kumiko spoiler[is lesbian and tried to hit on her. Mainly from the phrase that the mysterious woman used "I won't accept you". I think Kumiko coming out with her sexuality could be an interesting addition to this show, especially if it ends with my much hoped for Kumiko x Kousaka couple.]
xifeng.hu
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Damn spoiler[the bass part for the song their playing is pretty hard. Also the bass clarinet is pretty boss (yeah it's a pro playing it but still...)] I wonder how the Hazuki-Kumiko thing is going to play out. Some nice development with Haruka and hopefully we get to see how Asuka really is by the end. She seems a bit calculating so it's hard to understand her true nature.

As a side note: I love the opening and ending for this anime. The opening has a concert band background with an electric bass guitar which really is a nice touch to compliment the anime. I love the face paced ending with its jazz band backing. I think it would be fun to play if someone arranged it for band.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 6:56 pm Reply with quote
What a nasty place to end the episode. I'm a sucker for relationship drama. Of course Kumiko is going to say there's nothing between them, but is that really the truth?! Is it next week yet?

I've thought this since her introduction, but I think Aoi is just afraid of failure. She doesn't want to give her best to music because it'll be that much more devastating if she fails. Nothing worse than knowing that your best isn't good enough. So she just avoided that disappointment by running away with a convenient excuse. Not sure if they're going to do any more with her, but it seems the more important aspect is how her decision affected others.

Now that I think of it, I seem to remember that back in my high school music class (one semester was split into art/music/drama) I played the euphonium. I don't remember for sure, so if there's some other mini tube instrument that I'm unaware of it might have been that, though. I wouldn't be able to tell the difference, like how with Midori's instrument I went "contrabass? Isn't that a cello?"
meiam

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 8:07 pm Reply with quote
They really gave Asuka the best role, above the fray and the petty squabble, always enjoying herself. I dunno how it is with band president, but whenever I end up in leadership position I'm always amazed at how easy it actually is, most of the time you really only need to set up goal and sit back and look confident. Most of the problem you have to mediate have obvious solution you just have to point out and stand by your decision when people complain with weak reasoning and argument. I guess my thought is that if the current president hasn't figured that out, she really might not be fit to be president.

Aoi took the right decision, school obviously take precedent over band practice, unless she was a straight A+ student aiming for a really prestigious college, but I doubt that's the case.

So I guess we're heading toward relationship drama… yay… I just hope the inevitable "your not my friend anymore cause I'm jealous" doesn't last too long. Now that I think about it, I don't particularly like Trombone girl, she's fine as a comic relief character but having her be anything else doesn't work for me.
yuna49

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
I've thought this since her introduction, but I think Aoi is just afraid of failure.

This makes even more sense given that Aoi reports she failed her high-school entrance exam (I presume to attend a more prestigious school than Kitauji?).
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 11:57 pm Reply with quote
Episode 7

I think I understand now why despite Asuka being so good, she is not fit for the president role. The way I describe it to myself is that it is like she is in space, she can be great to help people follow her, but that she is not on the same level of enthusiasm could make it hard for her to lead them for a period of time.

Interested to see if there will be any romance, Kumiko seems to show absolutely no interest in it.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 5:24 am Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
This makes even more sense given that Aoi reports she failed her high-school entrance exam (I presume to attend a more prestigious school than Kitauji?).

Yeah, it was clear that was quite upsetting for her. She probably loves doing music and she doesn't want that to be another thing she's failed at. She raised her hand for "just for fun" in that vote and said it was an "alibi." It did give her an easy out since she can always point out how she never wanted to aim for nationals in the first place.

DuskyPredator wrote:
Interested to see if there will be any romance, Kumiko seems to show absolutely no interest in it.

Perhaps the thought of some one taking her childhood friend away from her will make her realise something that was always there... Or she might happily hand him over and Hazuki's determination inspires her to make a more serious attempt to hit on Kousaka.

I thought that train bit was hilarious, but apparently the subs mistranslated it. Shuichi actually asked "Did you want something?" and Kousaka said "Not really."
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 10:00 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
I think I understand now why despite Asuka being so good, she is not fit for the president role.

Some people crumple easily under pressure and know it.

Others just want to have fun with no responsibility.
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Episode 8:

Mm, that was refreshing, from start to finish. I like the way Kousaka and Kumiko's chemistry this episode especially during their hike in the mountains. I think they connected quite a bit despite some awkward moments. Oh and Kousaka looked VERY pretty imo in that dress.

As for Hazuki, I don't think it was surprising that she was rejected. Shuuchi never showed signs of feelings for her so the rejection should of been obvious.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shikiari

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Episode 8

Wow, Kōsaka looked drop dead gorgeous in her 'Snow White' dress... Casual Kumiko/ Hazuki looked real kawaii too. I feel as though they really fleshed out Kōsaka's character this episode, never before has she spoken so much!

I had my fingers crossed that the ending would turn a little bit Yuri, since the magical scene between Kumiko and Kōsaka almost demanded it to happen. As for Hazuki, I really feel sorry for her but I never felt that Shūichi had any feelings towards her in the first place.

I honestly have no idea what the tune they played at the end but I kept getting reminded of U&I all the time.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 8 of 22