• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sound! Euphonium (TV + movies + OAV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
A Mystery

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Beautiful finale, brought tears to my eyes.
Shikiari

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Episode 13

I think I've still got goose-bumps from that performance. We all expected them to take the Gold and progress to the Nationals but as they say "Sometimes it's the journey that teaches you a lot about your destination." I will most definitely be purchasing the Soundtrack when it's released next week and secretly hope that they announce anything to follow this up, just like the girls below.

I'm going to give this series the rating of Masterpiece and my Show of the Season Award for reasons that are as plain as daylight to see. Like Depeche Mode, I 'Just can't get enough!'.

This was posted on the official twitter page earlier today, for anyone that fancies a bit of cute ReinaxKumiko and let's be honest, who doesn't?

TRNielson

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Shikiari wrote:
Episode 13[...]

All of this.

Absolutely loved this show. Not since Rurouni Kenshin have I thoroughly enjoyed an anime as much as I have Hibike! Euphonium. The characters and their development were top notch, the animation is the single greatest piece of extended animation I've ever seen, the soundtrack was delightful, and by keeping it a short thirteen episodes, not a single episode felt wasted with useless filler.

Going down as a future "will recommend" to anyone and everyone I meet. Final ranking: Masterpiece.

Hopefully, we'll get a season two announcement within the next few days. This show absolutely deserves one.
st_owly

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Season 2 now please? As others have said, it's not the destination, but the journey you take to get there. spoiler[Plus Reina and Kumiko are the cutest]
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Shikiari wrote:
I think I've still got goose-bumps from that performance. We all expected them to take the Gold and progress to the Nationals but as they say "Sometimes it's the journey that teaches you a lot about your destination."

Actually for these types of shows it's 50/50. Either they succeed or they fail but go "at least we grew a lot along the way!" Wasn't sure which way it would go until the very end.

Shikiari wrote:
This was posted on the official twitter page earlier today, for anyone that fancies a bit of cute ReinaxKumiko and let's be honest, who doesn't?

*Raises hand* Laughing

Nah, it's cool. Though I might be the only one who liked how Kumiko and Shuichi started talking again.

Anyways, really good show. I don't think I need to sing much praises since there'll be enough of that from everyone else.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Ep 12 (finale):

*sniff* I'm gonna miss this show. But the ending was both a secure closure for the main story and opened the possibility of a film or sequel to venture into the Nationals.

Animation was more than great: the tuning scene before the concert and the close op of water ripple in a bottle was just so highly detailed. The fluidity of the fingers and movement of instruments played from trumpets to even the tambourine and the reverberations from drums was so so cool!

Asuka subtle wondering about whether the group is good enough while Kumiko outwardly corrects her that they will make it: they have come so far that it warms my heart. I have no major gripes with the show but my only question was the picture Taki-sensei had. I wasn't sure who was in it but it looked like a girl? Kinda wanted to know who that was but, I'm positive it was more important in the novel.

Anyway, if KyoAni does a sequel or not, I really enjoyed Sound!. Hope KyoAni does more josei-esque shows like this.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:40 pm Reply with quote
keichitsu0305 wrote:
I have no major gripes with the show but my only question was the picture Taki-sensei had. I wasn't sure who was in it but it looked like a girl? Kinda wanted to know who that was but, I'm positive it was more important in the novel.

My first impression was that it was a young Reina being held by her mother or something, and maybe Taki-sensei has the hots for the mom. But now that I look at it most closely the girl is alone. She looks young, but is wearing a ring on her left ring finger. So I'm not sure who it is either.

For something I was wondering since episode 1... What do you think Kumiko's hair is meant to represent? Both her sister and Shuichi comment about her tying her hair up in the first episode, which suggests it's not her usual look. She let her hair down when she decides to join the band so I thought that signified her character moving forward. But she ties up her hair this episode which surprised me because it seemed like a step backwards. But obviously that wasn't really the case.
meiam

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Well this was pretty good, I just watched amagi brilliant park and would never in a million year think those two show were made by the same studio.

I'm disappointed that they made national but not surprised, obviously they'd rather end on a positive note. But remember kids, hard work, dedication, resource, good environment and so on, none of that really matters, just cram at the last moment and you'll reach the highest honor, cause you and your friend are all super genius, right? Would have been more interesting if they got dud gold again and then you'd have reversal of situation where Kumiko now understand how Reina felt. Wonder if that's also how it happens in the LN.

I think that and the yuri baiting really limit how great the show is in my mind, but the execution was phenomenal which really pull everything trough. Pretty sure with that level of skill and budget any story could have been interesting. Kinda makes me wish there were less anime being made so the resource and talent pool would be more concentrated.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Well damn if that wasn't intense. Some of the girls reactions at the end would have looked the same had they lost.

Did anyone else notice the water bottle vibrating with the tune-up note?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Episode 13 (finale)

The tension was real. Those saying that winning in the end is guaranteed, I wonder if you are aware of the number of competition anime that end with the characters in tears. The journey certainly feels more important than the destination in this sort of stories, and actually why it was a great place to end it where it did. Even Asuka's comments are kind of characteristic of it, almost odd when you consider the idea that she largely liked results instead of drama, and she does not want it to end.

Anyway, this was a series of minute details, something I think KyoAni might have prided itself on, and they brought their game here, it really felt like lot of parts from previous projects that they then focused on. This is what is meant by quality anime. There is one part I have to bring up that I both loved and hated at the same time, and that is romance. Hey, I might be a huge yuri fanboy, but I am strongly of the mind that it should not be where it does not belong. That is show was super ambiguous in where the girl on girl love was real, or just some bait. And this was not reading something from nothing, this arguably had Kyoto Animation most well done and intimate romance scenes that had big impact on the audience just as Sidonia had some hella creepy parts. You don't make something like that unless you have put a lot of work into it.

This has been a quality anime, and done more than you would expect from a show about a concert band, but never really strayed that much out of the topic. Although for reasons that I don't feel fully resolved in terms of a certain aspect, and maybe because my own preferences, I can't quite give it top marks, so I rate it as Excellent, it was indeed a top of this season.
BassKuroi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Nice ending. Elbow fighting, fistbumps and cute melancholic Asuka eyes. Nice!

st_owly wrote:
Season 2 now please?

In the official site there's a "movie" link...
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:15 am Reply with quote
BassKuroi wrote:
In the official site there's a "movie" link...

Most official sites have that. They just mean PVs and such.
Ingraman

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:28 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
I'm disappointed that they made national

I don't think that they did. There's likely at least one more level of competition (if not two or three) before they get to the top level.

HaruhiToy wrote:
Did anyone else notice the water bottle vibrating with the tune-up note?

It was hard not to notice when there was a close-up of the bottle. I suppose if the screen someone was watching was small enough... You also missed a post not far above yours:

keichitsu0305 wrote:
Animation was more than great: the tuning scene before the concert and the close op of water ripple in a bottle was just so highly detailed.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:

My first impression was that it was a young Reina being held by her mother or something, and maybe Taki-sensei has the hots for the mom. But now that I look at it most closely the girl is alone. She looks young, but is wearing a ring on her left ring finger. So I'm not sure who it is either.

For something I was wondering since episode 1... What do you think Kumiko's hair is meant to represent? Both her sister and Shuichi comment about her tying her hair up in the first episode, which suggests it's not her usual look. She let her hair down when she decides to join the band so I thought that signified her character moving forward. But she ties up her hair this episode which surprised me because it seemed like a step backwards. But obviously that wasn't really the case.

I thought the hair was for practically so it wouldn't interfere; all the girls including Kousaka put it up if it was too long. But she's still moving forward just as a person committed to their passion rather than as someone trying to figure escape their past mistakes.
I wouldn't be surprised if it was Kousaka's mom but, if the series has a sequel i would appreciate the elaboration. Also like the idea of Taki-sensei always being late is because he was fawning over an old picture; makes him more "human" I suppose.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:32 pm Reply with quote
keichitsu0305 wrote:
I thought the hair was for practically so it wouldn't interfere; all the girls including Kousaka put it up if it was too long. But she's still moving forward just as a person committed to their passion rather than as someone trying to figure escape their past mistakes.

I understand the practical reasons behind it and normally I wouldn't give it much thought, but they went out of their way to point it out in the first episode so it has to have some deeper meaning.

keichitsu0305 wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised if it was Kousaka's mom but, if the series has a sequel i would appreciate the elaboration. Also like the idea of Taki-sensei always being late is because he was fawning over an old picture; makes him more "human" I suppose.

In the quick glance I got on my first watch I thought it was a picture of young Reina being held by some one and assumed mother because the hand in the picture had a ring. But now I see that the girl herself is wearing the ring. Still looks too young to me, but maybe Taki used to have a wife with a loli-body?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 18 of 22