• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ultimate Otaku Teacher (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 10:18 am Reply with quote
Well I still kinda like it but yeah, some of the characters' personalities aren't too appealing to me. And this week, we get a buildup towards the next episode.

I find it kinda amusing how spoiler[Kagami implied the game would be a video game but in actuality is a sports competition with soccer. I hope it will be fun...]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 7:28 am Reply with quote
I honestly don't know why I'm watching this tripe. It should be dropped, but for some reason I'm persisting. Oh well, chalk up another one for the Things I Don't Understand About My Brain file.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 4:23 am Reply with quote
Episode 6:

Well that was kinda amusing with the spoiler[soccer match. And going by the match, Seijuurou's team isn't doing well at first. I actually thought the match itself was somewhat decent as it emphasized some of the shots at the goals and momentum.]

It doesn't surprise me that spoiler[Seijuurou used what he learned from playing the soccer video game either.] However, overall episode felt meh to me with the comedy.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 9:19 am Reply with quote
Episode 6

Now that episode felt like an insult to soccer itself. It was not just that spoiler[rules were flimsy], but the whole spoiler[tackling thing being taken as a part] just felt frustrating. First the teacher spoiler[turned it really into not a fair match, but apparently playing with someone like that is fun,] kind of feels tactless. I am reminded of the infinitely better and should not be mentioned in the same sentence as this show, Nozaki-kun, where such a character spoiler[is taken as the worst thing]. At least thinking about that show made me feel better after watching this.

Wow, I am sounding mean, but there are some real problems this show should not have. And now I am comparing it to a show I really should not.
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 9:28 am Reply with quote
An insult to soccer eh ? Said by one never to have watched Captain Tsubasa. A series about soccer that defies all the physical laws of the known universe and them some including soccer rules. Soccer fields where you can see the curvature of the earth !!! Shots that break nets, soccer players running for 50 minutes just to get across the field. Laughing
Nyaomix

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 5:07 am Reply with quote
I was fine with the "street" soccer. This show is not bad to me, and at least as enjoyable as some of the other series I`m accepting this season (like Seraph). It`s extremely 80`s anime down to the attitudes. Only thing that says this is anything new is the use of modern gadgets. The biggest problem to me is the sister, not just the issue with her voice, but her character is extremely awkward for this series. She in no way fits in with the rest of the show, even her art is oddly off from the others.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 5:26 am Reply with quote
Episode 7

Kind of gross that he was spoiler[harassing his student so he could hear her voice, something she did not want]. You cannot even say that he was spoiler[just trying to help her, because he had no interest until hearing that it was anime like]. And felt incredibly pandering to the audience.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 6:35 pm Reply with quote
I want a girlfriend who has an anime voice. Don't judge.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 9:30 am Reply with quote
Episode 8:

Not going to lie, Sachiko is cute especially when she focuses on making manga or getting excited at gathering new ideas. And it seems like the school council president is even a bit wary when it comes to embarrassing moments.

Now I'm a bit curious to see their showdown or whatever next time.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 2:26 am Reply with quote
Episode 8

Plot holes: What is the point of just spoiler[getting a picture of a truant student when he should have been given her address so he could talk to her]. If he did have spoiler[her address he then should have known for spoiler[sure that she was the truant student]. Shouldn't his sister have recognised her own classmate]? Where is this spoiler[teenage manga artist's] parents or guardians in all of this? If her time was worth so much, why spoiler[did she spend so much of it watching people go out of a single store]? There would surely be much more spoiler[efficient ways to get an idea of how much sold]. Why buy spoiler[100 copies of her own book from some store when she probably should have ordered them from the manufacturer at a lower price].

Overall not as bad as possible, but this is still lacking. And also really unreasonable, like forcing her hobbies on others is some sort of badge of honour.
Nyaomix

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 5:13 pm Reply with quote
A huge improvement on the awkwardness of the show with episode 8. I still can`t help but view this series as an old one despite all the tech usage. Everything outside of the plot devices just feels so nostalgic. Kind of helped on some of the earlier épisodes to let me ignore his bad teaching behavior (though this new school is private and he would have more flexibility based on the owners which from what we`ve seen like unorthodoxed).

I`ve liked this show more than most seem to be feeling about it. He might not be the nicest guy, but despite his aims he is making a good case about being involved with the students to help them grow. In an awkward way he is glorifying teaching as it`s done in places outside of Japan. This could be inspiring to some of those kids watching it.

Also, you buy from a store as opposed to online to ensure more visibility. Not everyone does their shopping online and the best way to ensure a store has your book is for the book to sell. Plenty of authors do the same. She would`nt need to buy bulk online if she wanted to save money since she can go directly to the printers.
louis6578

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 12:46 am Reply with quote
This show is boring. My buddy, Onizuka, should give this show lessons on how to make a true anime about the Great Teacher. Very Happy
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 8:24 am Reply with quote
Episode 9:

A trap huh? Laughing

Well anyways, this episode had a weird style to it. I thought I was almost watching the wrong show for a moment when I saw the adventurous fantasy stuff. Then I realized it's part of the series' gimmick and it involves Kagami dealing with another student. Well, this short arc will continue until next time so I expect more of that.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 3:09 am Reply with quote
Episode 9

I kind of wish they did some sort of breakdown earlier of how he spends his time so that we could believe that he is a master MMO player. And in general what he is doing with his position is kind of terrible.

Next is that I actually have some problems with presentation. I have actually liked this kind of thing in the past of characters looking like they are in a fantasy world when they play a game, but I feel like this really did not feel right. Even with post Log Horizon, it is already out there that there is more to these games than "brute force", that the impressive thing really would be reaction, planning, and knowing what to do when. While the episode attempted to convey it, it kind of fell flat since we really only saw this as actual fantasy instead of some indicators of mechanics. It still feels clumsy.

It was kind of obvious that this Luce would be the last student, but the surprise it expected from us also did not work because there was no hint before that this last student was a boy. It was only brought up after we already knew he was heading for "her" place". All they needed to do would be to in the previous episode say that he had two truant students' one a girl and the other a boy, and it could have thrown the audience off.

And back to the game thing, for some reason it made me think about the problem they have at me finding the main character believable, and how I felt suddenly comparing him to Sora and Shiro from No Game No Life. Oddly thought that I found those two to be more believable protagonists who use otaku like abilities to do crazy stuff, and I would say are broken up into a few parts that work to create a whole. First is I think that despite being told they are great we see them struggle, they are confident but not without effort. The second was that we found that they are not entirely perfect, they had weaknesses that make them lesser than other people in some things. Third is that we see a motivation of crossing their abilities from games to something a bit wider, having fun. And last was that they are not entirely selfish, they can make fun and be bigger than others, but they do have a bit of compassion that is kind of selfless.

I guess you could say that the main character does have some of the above, bug I think there are some problems. He has seemed to struggle in like doing things he also wants to do, but it has mostly felt like he can magically do anything when it comes time and things can convenient. Although his habits may leave some to be desired, they have felt more like weaknesses to people who have an interest in him, like getting him not to quit. If anything the one with the one with the motivation is the girl with the fan who wants to make things interesting. And honestly it has felt like most of his actions have been selfish as it has largely been things he wants to see (or hear).
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:54 am Reply with quote
Episode 10:

Eh, kinda nice to see Koutarou's past I guess. Feels like the arc is dragging though with the RPG style and that fantasy world. However, it also looks like Kagami is making progress to establish a connection/friendship with him.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4