• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Mikagura School Suite (TV).

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:57 am Reply with quote

Mikagura Gakuen Kumikyoku (Mikagura School Suite) (TV)

Genres: School, Shoujo
Themes:

Plot Summary: A story based on the super popular song series from NND. Eruna Ichinomiya, a freshman who dreamed of a school life filled with cuteness, entered a boarding school—Mikagura Private School. In this school, each of the cultural club representatives have to battle each other, with unique powers...!! What will happen to Eruna, who somehow ended up becoming the representative of a certain club?
----------------------------------

This reminds me a bit of Inou Battle, a show that I thought was pretty fun. The show is based off of a vocaloid novel so I expect some prominent music to make on screen debuts as well.

Character designs has some style to it from what's shown.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1:

I guess that was kind of fun. The whole battle club themes seems to build on rivalries although I don't see much antagonism besides that guy from the art club so far. How many clubs are there at that school anyways? Well, I guess we'll see how the upcoming "battles" will go. Quite a colorful series though if I may add.

I'm not sure I like Eruna much yet though. She has a funny personality with some childish delusions. Maybe she'll learn a few things or two at that new school.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MysticMew

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Ahh, that went up a little after my evening run, too bad. Guess, I'll watch it tomorrow...

You do not necessarily need to be a Vocaloid fan to understand/like this, do you? Just checking, because I'm not really.
TrailOfDead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:54 pm Reply with quote
MysticMew wrote:
You do not necessarily need to be a Vocaloid fan to understand/like this, do you? Just checking, because I'm not really.

there's nothing to do with Vocaloid in the show itself, you're fine.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:53 am Reply with quote
I really liked this one. The art is rough, not Plastic Memories rough, but not flawless, but the humor and weirdness makes up for that. It's just a fun series.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:51 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

Yes! I am going to watch this series!

Our main character is a spoiler[drooling lesbian otaku, who is energetic, yet very little motivation until something cute comes along]. That is fun. As was such ridiculous scenes like with the entrance exam. (spoiler[Did she actually guess that maid teacher's name]?) And just going with it in the spoiler[magical girl mascot]. I loved the part that she quickly comes to the conclusions that spoiler[its weakness is the eyes after she pokes them].

What do I say, I can be a fan of yuri, the episode I think made it work better than back with Maria Hollic that made the main character annoying. And I don't see it quite going the way of last season's yuri anime.
MysticMew

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Definitely a keeper! And to think I would have almost passed this up if I hadn't taken a look at the Spotlight article here by mere chance...

I don't find the extremeness of the yuri annoying. I mean, let's be frank. Any male harem lead would be allowed this level of behavior and not be questioned. Not to mention the very exclusive fact that we have a female LEAD that is yuri-inclined (or obsessed) in a setting that isn't exclusive yuri/shoujo ai fluff. How often do we get this? Personally I can't even recall one. For that novelty alone I am sticking with this.

It was rather funny, too. I actually laughed quite a few times and considering something really has been hammering down on my mood (which wasn't the best to begin with) again, that has to say something. Anime smile[/b]
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:47 am Reply with quote
I'm somewhat on the edge for this one now. While it can be funny at times with the delusions, I'm not a big fan of the battles so far or most of the characters that are introduced. Maybe the relationship development can be crafted a bit better imo but I have mixed thoughts on this.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:35 am Reply with quote
Episode 2

I actually really like this already, at this point I was already hoping the show would slow down because I did not want the episode to end. For starters Eruna is still a hoot, I love pretty much every joke done at her expense where she misses the point and such, but it does not feel like it is trying to make her look like a fail of a person. There is little jokes from her thinking that the crystals are bananas, how she interacted with each person, and the whole scene of her trying to get a special attack.

Also the fight. Standout moment with the spoiler[calligraphy representative trying to draw her out with a terrible lie about girls in swimsuits], because it showed that the spoiler[innocent child like character indeed knew that Eruna was massively into girls]. I found it really funny as it said that she spoiler[indeed was more clued in than it looked in their earlier conversation]. Also the fight got really cool there spoiler[once Eruna got a power up].

Yes it did feel like it moved quickly, but in my opinion it feels like the show knows exactly what the audience expect and get the tedious stuff out of the way for good things. And I think that there is a point that this series does indeed "steal" a lot of different things from different series, but they pretty almost all feel like good things, like it is a collage of some of my favourite anime aspects followed up with good presentation.

I have been thinking what this series reminds me of, and perhaps it is because it has been on my mind (or it is on my mind because of this) the series I think of is Sabagebu. Both feature female protagonists who should normally be horrible, but just come around fun, add in some yuri themes, strange mascot, bright colour tone, and that the series knows all to well what it is doing.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:22 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
What do I say, I can be a fan of yuri, the episode I think made it work better than back with Maria Hollic that made the main character annoying.

I'm liking this show a lot more than Maria+Holic, mostly because Kanako's "perversions" were depicted in a much more mean-spirited way than Eruna's are (at least, so far).

Kanako was always afraid: afraid of boys, afraid to let people know she liked girls, afraid that she was too tall, etc. Eruna, on the other hand, is fearless to the point where she's annoying. I felt that Zac's review of the first episode was really spot on: Eruna is like that teenage girl at every anime convention, running around being loud, hugging people without asking them first, etc.

She's so excited by the world around her that she forgets to consider whether her actions are making other people uncomfortable. Eruna really "puts herself out there", though, and while the show still plays her yuri proclivities for laughs, there are no characters like Mariya to point at her and tell her she's disgusting for being the person she is.

I find her annoying, but in an easily forgivable way, and I also think that she's the kind of girl that introverted 15-year old Japanese boys who watch shows based on Indie Vocaloid concept albums secretly wish would fall out of the sky. Not because she's some kind of magical girlfriend character - this is still very much Eruna's harem show - but because she's the sort of person whose very presence forces people to come out of their shells. Kind of like Hajime in Gatchaman CROWDS... although I remember people finding her intolerable, too.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:23 pm Reply with quote
I forgot to mention one of my favourite parts of the episode was when she said that she spoiler[ate flowers and the cat's reaction to them being edible].
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3:

spoiler[Seisa vs Eruna huh? Honestly, I think the result should of been obvious from the start. Eruna has chances to improve herself though and I hope there will be a rematch in the future so she can show how much she improves.]

Also, I'm curious to see who will join spoiler[her club] later on...
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3 was gorgeous. No complains.

spoiler["Unfortunately, i don't prepare for negative things."] <- The feeling you get when Eruna says this is the reason I'm watching this show in the first place.

I'm only watching four anime series this season, but this is the one I'm enjoying the most.

Also, the end credits are extremely cute, especially the part where spoiler[Otone] messes up her little dance and falls down. I'm so excited for her to show up.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:01 am Reply with quote
Epispde 3

I think that there was a common theme in the third episode, and that it was of sespoiler[niors "teaching a lesson" to younger students] (not in a good way). The drama student tspoiler[aking on the first year rep of the astronomy club was not a real battle but rather a slaughter], the kid spoiler[stood no chance and the older student knew that. It was not a test of power but an act to show the younger student to not be so smug]. This is essentially what Seisa did to Eruna, but in my opinion is much more personal for her. From what I can tell the spoiler[same thing kind of happened to Seisa earlier in what I can guess was when she was in the photography club], that she was spoiler[attacked by her senpai and became a recluse]. We also saw that she actually got spoiler[lasting scars from the confrontation], and that is why she reacted harshly spoiler[when she saw a new student feel so confident, and when she realised she repeated events then went in a way to help her].

Energy is still infectious. I think my favourite bit was when Eruna spoiler[went for the delivery bit], such a joke could often be cliché, but seeing spoiler[Himi dressed up and eating sweets inside the box] sold the scene.
meiam

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:48 pm Reply with quote
The show was hinting at the results so much, I was hoping it'd try to surprise us by having her win. Every time this situation happen the results is always the same, it's getting pretty boring, would have been cool to have her boundless optimism just win over everything else.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2