Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yen Press Licenses Irregular at Magic High School Light Novels, Manga


Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
NeverSleep



Joined: 15 Dec 2010
Posts: 23
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Firetruck you Yen Press, for ruining yet another novel with additional waiting periods.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CallumKeyblade



Joined: 30 Jul 2014
Posts: 529
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:41 pm Reply with quote
NeverSleep wrote:
Firetruck you Yen Press, for ruining yet another novel with additional waiting periods.


People are so self entitled.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NeverSleep



Joined: 15 Dec 2010
Posts: 23
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:00 pm Reply with quote
CallumKeyblade wrote:
NeverSleep wrote:
Firetruck you Yen Press, for ruining yet another novel with additional waiting periods.


People are so self entitled.

For me it's worthless, the price for importing a novel directly from Japan and from America are roughly the same = [expletive] expensive. Also add three and six months starting from October this year and that's when the official translation will catch up to what have already been fan translated, I might as well just finish learning the kanji necessary for reading this before 2019.

The world isn't only NA, geez, people are so self entitled.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
LiteMangime



Joined: 21 Jun 2014
Posts: 141
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:05 pm Reply with quote
AAAAAAAAAnd there goes another story off Baka-tsuki Sad
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Cyclone1993



Joined: 05 Jul 2011
Posts: 944
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:16 pm Reply with quote
NeverSleep wrote:
CallumKeyblade wrote:
NeverSleep wrote:
Firetruck you Yen Press, for ruining yet another novel with additional waiting periods.


People are so self entitled.

For me it's worthless, the price for importing a novel directly from Japan and from America are roughly the same = [expletive] expensive. Also add three and six months starting from October this year and that's when the official translation will catch up to what have already been fan translated, I might as well just finish learning the kanji necessary for reading this before 2019.

The world isn't only NA, geez, people are so self entitled.


So you're angry that a company is legally translating and releasing a series into a language you can read and understand because you don't want to wait for the necessary work needing to be done on them?

No one is stopping you from just buying the Japanese imports and translating them yourself. I'm just glad that people in English speaking countries are going to be able to legally read the series in their own language. Quality can't be rushed.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CallumKeyblade



Joined: 30 Jul 2014
Posts: 529
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:30 pm Reply with quote
NeverSleep wrote:
For me it's worthless, the price for importing a novel directly from Japan and from America are roughly the same = [expletive] expensive. Also add three and six months starting from October this year and that's when the official translation will catch up to what have already been fan translated, I might as well just finish learning the kanji necessary for reading this before 2019.

The world isn't only NA, geez, people are so self entitled.


Then learn kanji. Smile It's a more productive use of your time than attacking a company for providing a way to read a series in English & support the author.

& I'm not from NA, geez, some people are so self entitled.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bladerunner0



Joined: 09 Mar 2015
Posts: 5
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:42 pm Reply with quote
NeverSleep wrote:
Firetruck you Yen Press, for ruining yet another novel with additional waiting periods.

What's wrong with you? You're against a physical release? Wasn't the whole point of fantranslating that the LN gets a certain popularity so someone will license it?
This is probably one of the most anti-consumer attitudes in the whole industry: to be against licensing. Because now we can buy it (in English) and we are able to usefully support the author, but in your mind that's apparently a bad thing.

Also, you're not entitled to free LN translations.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Lynx Amali



Joined: 05 Nov 2010
Posts: 1203
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:59 pm Reply with quote
I really think they should work on what they do have first before grabbing any other series that are still ongoing. I mean, they just picked up Index and that's utterly massive + the sequels.

I wouldn't be opposed to them being picking up things that are already done though, like Full Metal Panic or Tomino's Wings of Rean novels.. Wink (the later of which I already have the 2010 set of.)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
firedragon54738



Joined: 24 Sep 2007
Posts: 3101
Location: wisconsin
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Well a nice pick but not one I would like to read
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kadmos1



Joined: 08 May 2014
Posts: 12410
Location: In Phoenix but has an 85308 ZIP
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:54 pm Reply with quote
LiteMangime wrote:
AAAAAAAAAnd there goes another story off Baka-tsuki Sad


Hey, a reason why such sites do scanlatios/fansubs/fan translations is so that the titles get licensed and have an official stream or release.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jojothepunisher



Joined: 04 Sep 2007
Posts: 799
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:15 pm Reply with quote
I was expecting people to be crapping on this series on the comment section but there are surprisingly many decent comments about the LN. Who would have thought.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dfens



Joined: 08 Feb 2013
Posts: 436
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:32 pm Reply with quote
I actually liked this series a lot more than I thought I would to the point I'm caught up with it.

Will I buy it sure I will, but I can understand the hate for Yen Press.

They take way too dam long to put out the next volume of a Light Novel, and hell even some of their manga titles as well. Look we want to buy your products but having to wait years upon years, well don't cry if sales aren't what you hoped because you couldn't find a way to get it out faster. This happened with Funimation and the Index/Railgun franchise and that was them and the materials as they always cried about.

Light Novels are just text you don't have to re-dub it into english or mess with the audio, or timing, pressing discs/packaging etc.

Their is no excuse that it a bunch of fans can do a professional job in their spare time for free and can put out a professional level release that the actual licensor can't.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ultimatemegax



Joined: 26 Jan 2010
Posts: 412
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Dfens wrote:
I actually liked this series a lot more than I thought I would to the point I'm caught up with it.

Will I buy it sure I will, but I can understand the hate for Yen Press.

They take way too dam long to put out the next volume of a Light Novel, and hell even some of their manga titles as well. Look we want to buy your products but having to wait years upon years, well don't cry if sales aren't what you hoped because you couldn't find a way to get it out faster. This happened with Funimation and the Index/Railgun franchise and that was them and the materials as they always cried about.

Light Novels are just text you don't have to re-dub it into english or mess with the audio, or timing, pressing discs/packaging etc.

Their is no excuse that it a bunch of fans can do a professional job in their spare time for free and can put out a professional level release that the actual licensor can't.


Outside of the grammar mistake, what the opinions of fans like you do not understand are the behind-the-scenes issues of the actual process of publishing. Yen, like all the other publishers, have to play by retailers' rules in what they can release and when. Flood the market with a title like you suggest, and people don't buy it. Gradually introduce it from the start, and you get more people who haven't read it than the leeches who read fan-translations. There's also the benefit of having editors who know Japanese (the new editor for Yen On translates the Spice and Wolf novels and translated the Haruhi v6-v11 novels) as compared to putting your rough draft out for people to read.

Yen is trying to get novels out as fast as possible (Index is going out in 4 volumes a year, faster than any other novel and it's still not enough for some leeches). While you are buying them, I'd like to ask that you (and the other posters whining about release schedules) begin to consider something besides your own selfish desires before posting about how Yen's starting from v1 yet again.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Snackster1001



Joined: 28 Sep 2014
Posts: 32
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Brainchild129 wrote:
Well, I guess those who wondered how much of the show's Objectivist outlook came from the source material will finally be able to find out for themselves.

I can't say I'm pleased, as this and SAO indicate that the trend in North American LN publishing is "generic fantasy harem otaku wish-fulfillment series."


Far from a trend man. Light novel series are just getting licensed in America since they have popular anime adaptations in that region. This is the exact same reason spice and wolf, log horizon, and index made their way overseas (and none of those fit a "generic fantasy harem otaku wish-fulfillment" description unless you grasp for straws).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Snackster1001



Joined: 28 Sep 2014
Posts: 32
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Yen press has been doing good moves in their Light Novel department. They basically have a monopoly on their hands with all the popular series they have published
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group