• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yen Press Licenses Irregular at Magic High School Light Novels, Manga

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:02 pm Reply with quote
lys wrote:
Spotlesseden wrote:
not going to do anything for me unless they can release atleast 5 books a year until they catch up to Japan. 1 or 2 books a year is not going to cut it because Japan will releasing 3 books this year. I'm just going to read the fan translation and call it a day.

SAO vol 4 is still not out, it pissed me off. The problem is the translation is clear done, they just don't want to release it. a LN is very short, it doesn't take more than 6 month for translation and editing, ect.

What series are you referring to with "1 or 2 books a year"? I believe SAO volumes (and this goes for other series too) are released at least every four months (=3 per year) (actually the Progressive novels are being released at the same time? Both are scheduled for 2015, so there's your five books a year.)

i'm talking about Irregular needs to be 5 books per year.
Sword Art Online is only 3 per year. Progressive is a different title, so you can't add them together.
When i said 1-2 vol per year. i was talking about Haruhi Suzumiya back in the day in, It was releasing very slow, then i gave up.I believe Spice and Wolf was very slow because i have a friend complained about it. I don't follow that one, but i bet it's still ongoing even though it was finish in Japan long time ago. 2 vols a year is not going to cut it. You will never catch up and you will fall more behind until it was over in Japan.

Edit:
For years, Viz has been delaying their big titles like Naruto and Bleach, and etc even though they were done with the translation. Only after friend's complain, they final start to release big titles in a faster rate and same week for SJ also.
AbZeroNow

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:26 pm Reply with quote
@spotlessden, Irregular having 5 novels a year putout in English is unrealistic. I can see 3 books a year being released(and I'm fine with that). Yen Press uses good translators(although seeing them use different phrasings for things than fans are used to using takes getting used to). Others have mentioned that Mahouka uses complex kanji and things and it's not as simple as using Baka Tsuki as a guide. Plus the translators likely have other projects other than light novels so there is that consideration as well as others have mentioned they don't want to flood the market with too many titles.

I welcome Yen Press publishing more light novels(which reminds me that I need to actually buy those last few Haruhi novels that they translated into English). I would love to see them do the Full Metal Panic ones. I would also love to see Maoyu's LN get an official translation.
Tekisasu-shū no Robu

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:34 pm Reply with quote
I'd rather they take their time and do a good job than rush through a shoddy one. This is likely to be the definitive translation for the foreseeable future; they owe it to the author to get it right.

Brainchild129 wrote:
Well, I guess those who wondered how much of the show's Objectivist outlook came from the source material will finally be able to find out for themselves.

You're kidding, right? It's not Objectivist. An "Objectivist outlook" would have had the Magicians completely separating themselves from the "mundanes" and each other and engaging in pure competition amongst themselves for dominance. Counter to Objectivism, Tatsuya is working to release Magicians from being viewed as little more than tools for accessing the wonders that magic can provide; his ultimate goal is to create an energy source that uses magic to generate energy that anyone can use, and a lot of his innovation is geared towards making magic usable by mundanes. Getting paid for the output of your talents is not the be-all and end-all of Objectivism, nor is it a unique concept to Objectivism.

{Edit: We prefer it if users do not post consecutive posts when 1 post will suffice. I combined both of yours together for you. Just please be more careful in the future. Thanks. ~ Psycho 101}
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:42 am Reply with quote
AbZeroNow wrote:
@spotlessden, Irregular having 5 novels a year putout in English is unrealistic. I can see 3 books a year being released(and I'm fine with that). Yen Press uses good translators(although seeing them use different phrasings for things than fans are used to using takes getting used to). Others have mentioned that Mahouka uses complex kanji and things and it's not as simple as using Baka Tsuki as a guide. Plus the translators likely have other projects other than light novels so there is that consideration as well as others have mentioned they don't want to flood the market with too many titles.

I welcome Yen Press publishing more light novels(which reminds me that I need to actually buy those last few Haruhi novels that they translated into English). I would love to see them do the Full Metal Panic ones. I would also love to see Maoyu's LN get an official translation.

If kanji is too complex, they may want to hire someone who knows Chinese and English. A Taiwanese company(owns Kadokawa) translate and release those titles very quick because there is no need for translate names and kanji. I think Most fans translation of Irregular are from Japanese to Chinese, then to English. That guy has to wait for the Chinese version because he translate it to English. This is why the translation sounds strange. I could be wrong on this one, it maybe another title.

As long as it actually takes 4 months. If it only take like 4-6 weeks to get the work done, and wait 3 more months before release them, then it's kind of business decision. Like many manga companies did for many years.

We don't really have alot of LN, not sure how that will floor the market. How many titles do they have? Release 2 books a month is not really floor the market to me.
Dfens

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:53 am Reply with quote
We can all agree Yen Press puts out a fine product but what is it still the time from 10-15 years ago when it took US publishers forever to put out the next volume.

I'm a hard working individual and a paying one like many other who are customers telling the business I'm not satisfied with your release schedule. I don't think people like me are whiners as some people have put it but frustrated customers who would be willing to pay even a little more for them to get a move on.

Now if it's the rights holders in Japan that are the hold up fine let us know.

The people I met representing Yen Press are a-holes, the ones I met at my last con. I asked very nicely would they consider maybe speeding up their 4 month wait time for the next volume for me to buy your product. And they basically told me in a snotty attitude well that's how long we take so live with it, oh and be happy we even offer you a product.

This isn't the old days when publishers where afraid that if they caught up with Japanese release the fans would be too impatient and couldn't wait for the next Japanese release and complain.

If my Kanji skills where up to par I would just say f-it and get the imports but at the rate they take I might as well try.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:34 am Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:

We don't really have alot of LN, not sure how that will floor the market. How many titles do they have? Release 2 books a month is not really floor the market to me.

Depends on how many people buy LNs. The smaller the market, the lower the # of LNs required to flood the market, the longer it takes to hit that critical # of sales for the bookshops to order the next volume's print-run. (Remember, the bookshops are the gatekeepers - even if the publisher wants to publish the next volume, if the bookshops don't want to order the next volume yet because the current volume has not yet sold enough to hit that critical # sales for them to decide whether to order the next volume, then those next-volume books would have nowhere to go. The publisher itself needs enough money from enough sales of the current volume to pay for the print-run of the next volume - until enough current volumes have sold, there may not be enough money to pay for the print-run of the next volume. So it depends on how many people buying.)

Dfens wrote:

I'm a hard working individual and a paying one like many other who are customers telling the business I'm not satisfied with your release schedule. I don't think people like me are whiners as some people have put it but frustrated customers who would be willing to pay even a little more for them to get a move on.

Yeah, raising the price would help, since increased price means bigger profit margin for the bookshops, and that means they need a lower critical # of sales to achieve the same amount of profit, and that means hitting that critical # in fewer weeks, and that means the bookshops ordering the next volume from the publisher earlier. That is, assuming consumers still buy the book at that higher price at the same pace as the lower price.
bladerunner0

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:51 am Reply with quote
Most people don't really know the situation Yen Press is in. The LN market is a very niche market in the West. Do you remember TokyoPops try at the English LN market a few years ago? Because of a few wrong decisions, they had to stop their whole English LN branch and LN series which weren't finished at the time (like 12 Kingdoms) were just dropped.
So of course Yen Press has to be very cautious. They don't want to make a wrong step.

NeverSleep wrote:

You're complaining about minor semantics here. Apparently, you prefer 1:1 translation, even if they are very stilted and don't fit normal sounding English prose.
I just want to have a text which sounds natural and I want to have a good reading exprience. If I only stumble through the sentences, then I will just stop reading and do something different.
Dfens

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:52 pm Reply with quote
One of the biggest reasons TokyoPop LN division went under was no only was the company on it's last leg anyway Borders going under and all the returned books mostly manga they sent back that they had to take back at a loss. Which put the final nail in their coffin.

Who really now a days buys a Light Novel or Manga at a brick and mortar store? Most people order them online from Rightstuf or Amazon that have large warehouses and they order more directly from the publisher when they run out or when their is a order. It's not like in the old days oh the book isn't selling I'm sending it back for a refund and you have to eat it cause I don't want to.
Lion Magnus

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Very, very happy for the news. I really was waiting for this (LN).
Now give me Fate/Apocrypha >Sad
shadowypoet

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:43 pm Reply with quote
I look forward to being able to purchase the novels legally to support the author, but not to waiting four to five years for Yen Press to release materials I have not read yet.

If they wanted to, Yen Press could use the structure of the Mahouka novels to shorten wait time. The anime covered through Volume 7 of the light novels. Six of the seven novels are really three light novel "chapters" split into two parts, and were actually labeled as such by the author. These three chapters were the arcs covered by the anime. The Volume 5 novel is actually a short story collection that was left out of the anime.

If Yen Press combined the two parts of each chapters into a single light novel, then they could catch up to what the anime covered within a year or so, depending on their publishing rate.
GrayArchon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:39 am Reply with quote
NeverSleep wrote:
I'm complaining because I have the money, I would spend it like I did many times as soon as possible. The thing is that the material was already out, but now it won't be available and fans have to wait 5 years to read something I read 4 years ago?

The material was not "already out". A mishmash of Japanese -> English translations , and Japanese -> Chinese -> English translations had been done by amateurs of varying skill.

Very little of it is truly professional quality, and none of it is usable by Yen Press for a variety of reasons. They have to start from scratch with their own translations to be sure things have been done right.
Animelover12313

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:54 am Reply with quote
Don't know about you guys but I don't really mind the waiting. Since I've already read every volumes up until this point, I'm just excited to finally be able to support the author and to hold in my hands a physical copy of one of the LN that I like to read. Now just waiting for Oregairu and I know it's a miracle for this one, but Monogatari Series. Razz
roxybudgy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:42 am Reply with quote
I read/heard ages ago, that the reason why manga releases are spread out over time is because retailers complained about having to stock various different volumes simultaneously and requested to have a more staggered release schedule.

Given the slow death of the bricks-and-mortar book store, I don't know if this is still a relevant factor.

Another example of retailers influencing releases: in response to questions about multiple disks being crammed into one DVD case, the local distributor says they avoid usind "fatpacks" because retailers complained that their anti-theft devices were not compatible with non-standard DVD cases.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:06 am Reply with quote
in my opinion, they should release whatever vol after Yokohama Disturbance first. And Release vol 1 to Yokohama Disturbance Arc in a slower and different schedule.

Quote:
Don't know about you guys but I don't really mind the waiting. Since I've already read every volumes up until this point

There is no way that you read every vols unless you know Chinese or Japanese because the fan translation was like 1.5 vols behind and they already stop and took down all the files.
The hope of reading Yotsuba Succession Arc super low now. It may take 15 years. lol
niintysix

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Yenpress licensing this series means that baka-tsuki has abandoned translating the series after almost completing the 14th in the series. Unless someone else starts translating where they left off the I am going to be waiting a very long time before I get to continue they story. I really wish they wouldn't have waited so long before doing this Crying or Very sad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5