• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
My Love Story (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 6:33 am Reply with quote
Well, you feel the way you feel so there's not much that can be said if you are personally losing interest. But I disagree that her revealing her "impure thoughts" doesn't alter the idealized version of he has of her in his head - in a good way. That "pure-hearted" nonsense was simply a product of Takeo's inexperience. He is getting to know the real her as opposed to the idealized version and he likes it.

Listen, I give massive points to this show for not doing the usual shojo nonsense of establishing a problem and then dragging it out via irrititating misunderstanding because two people refuse to talk honestly and openly about how they feel.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 10:02 am Reply with quote
No argument on that last point, but that's why I think it's a real waste. If you're going to actually allow people to talk to each other about the issues of their relationship, I'd much rather see some more challenging issues being addressed.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 10:04 am Reply with quote
Fair enough, but keep in mind that they've been an official couple for exactly two episodes so far.
Blarmb

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
No argument on that last point, but that's why I think it's a real waste. If you're going to actually allow people to talk to each other about the issues of their relationship, I'd much rather see some more challenging issues being addressed.

That's kind of the point of it though, isn't it? This is their first relationship and they're all of what, 15 or 16? It's hard for to be about anything about small steps and basic communication issues being big problems without it feeling contrived. That's what being inexperienced, with a hormonal body and rapidly transforming brain are all about.

Exactly what are you expecting? That they sit down and have a nuanced discussion about notions of purity and the impacts of cultural slut-shaming?

This seems like a pretty honest way of going about things. Even if it's put through a bit of an cartoonish filter, at the end of they're a couple of awkward kids and that's really challenge enough for a good while.

I loved how they kept having her nervously tack "and Stuff" to the end of every sentence on cuddling/holding hands/kissing because she doesn't really know how to parse through "I'm horny as ****" on any level yet. Well, that's how I read it anyway.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Laughing Me, too. "Stuff" can certainly cover a variety of sins.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 3:41 pm Reply with quote
The show is still as cute as ever, but it is too bad it spreads one of the gravest and most harmful fake morality misconceptions that desire for sex is somehow a sign of "impurity".

There is nothing more pure than making love to each other.

If society would stop propaganda of the opposite, humanity as whole would be much happier. There is so much suffering in the world because private parts of people are considered to be either too impure/sinful/devilish or, on the contrary, too sacred to be engaged in.

Actual impurity is harming people, not making love to them.

Trying to explain why you love certain person by telling things like "I love her pure heart" could be very cute, too, but it is self-deceiving since love is deeper-brain low-level hormonal process that has no relation to evolutionally newer, outer layers of the brain that deal with reasoning.

So people have to remember that whatever they think on why they love someone else is actually separated from the feeling itself.

This is the reason why there are countless stories of love (sometimes destructive) towards absolutely hideous people. Sometimes there are no rational reasons to love them, but love still ignites and drives lovers crazy.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 10:25 pm Reply with quote
MaxSouth wrote:
The show is still as cute as ever, but it is too bad it spreads one of the gravest and most harmful fake morality misconceptions that desire for sex is somehow a sign of "impurity".

I'd say it's doing the exact opposite from spreading it (if by that you mean condoning it). The fact is, the double standard is alive and well when it comes to female "purity," and the series demonstrated the pitfalls of that, because both Yamada and Takeo had bought into the idea that a girl having sexual desires was wrong.

Takeo thought she wanted to be pure as the driven snow and wanted to show his respect for that, while she thought he wanted her to be that way, and wanted not to disappoint him with the truth. The series clearly showed that the female purity trope was detrimental to them, rather than positing it as how it should be.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 5:19 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Takeo thought she wanted to be pure as the driven snow and wanted to show his respect for that, while she thought he wanted her to be that way, and wanted not to disappoint him with the truth. The series clearly showed that the female purity trope was detrimental to them, rather than positing it as how it should be.

That's the interpretation I am leaning to and hoping for. However, it is possible that it is not quite that cut and dried. What gives me a little bit of doubt is the respective attitudes that Takeo and Yamato have towards each other.

Remember that Takeo told Sun he wouldn't care if "the secret" that Yamato was hiding was that she was cheating on him - it mattered more to him that she not be tied in knots. Given that, it is possible that his attitude towards her "impure thoughts" is, "well, that's wrong, but I don't care" as opposed to "gosh, wasn't I silly to put value on the fact that she didn't seem to have impure thoughts."

And for Yamato, she could be thinking, "that Takeo is so cool - even though I wrongly have impure thoughts, he still likes me!"

The reason I lean to a more positive interpretation (i.e. that they both recognize there is nothing wrong about wanting to hold hands, cuddle and "stuff") is that it is so unusual in shojo to have the female lead even think about these things that I have to assume the show is not trying to paint her desires in a negative light.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 12:47 pm Reply with quote
I see what you're getting at, but I think if the series were supporting the status quo, the story would be about them struggling to contain their desires rather than struggling to find ways to fulfill them to the degree and in ways they're both ready for.
Blarmb

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 5:29 pm Reply with quote
The scene where she talks with Ai about their physical attraction to Takeo is telling. Both characters have this escalating excitement about just what makes them want him sexually in a straightforward way. The scene is framed positively and no one criticizes or condemns them for it. Everything about the scene tells us "this thing happening in screen right now is a good thing" and what that thing is, is two girls talking about almost purely physical desires.

In some ways it doesn't even see like the conversation is about him ( as in takeo the district person) so much as it is a discussion about how big muscles and lips are awesome in their own right.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 6:36 pm Reply with quote
@ Blarmb - yep, that's true. What I also liked about that scene is how they wrung some comedy out of it. I laughed when, as the gals waxed lyrical about Takeo's yumminess, Suna casually backed away from them.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 2:26 pm Reply with quote

spoiler[Takeo got jumped.. by the judo club.
Those guys sure were desperate...
Shame that meant he'd get to see less of Yamato..
Well.. at least she was happy to see him do judo.
Yamato was a huge support during the training days.
That decisive fight was really worth it!]
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 2:35 pm Reply with quote
Episode 7:

That was beautiful from start to finish. I gotta say, spoiler[Takeo did quite well in Judo after all the training. Thanks to Yamato's motivations, he kicked some ass.] Good to know that Yamato can count on him for protection if they encounter any trouble in the future.

Eh, I haven't eaten at the time when posting this but those treats that Yamato made looks delicious! Takeo is such a lucky guy D:
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Beltane70

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:

Eh, I haven't eaten at the time when posting this but those treats that Yamato made looks delicious! Takeo is such a lucky guy D:

That's the worst part of this show. It always makes me hungry with all the different food that Yamato makes!
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Episode 8:

Cute episode with Takeo/Yamato again. Honestly, this series is so charming with relationship building even with Takeo/Suna. Also, is that Takeo in an apron? LOL. You can see how much he stands out compared to everyone else there.

That was comedy gold.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 11