• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tales Of The Industry - They Shoot Their Hostages, Don't They?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:55 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
In other words, no matter how much guessing takes place beyond ANN's control, and no matter how much of that guessing is correct, this story is still anonymous.

To the general populace who doesn't know anything (or everything) on the matter and the people involved, yes.

But it might raise a few Suspicion Flags to those to work in the industry and have an inkling of who and what this story is about.

I hope that "Brad"'s annoymity will remain safe and secure - since it would be a shame for someone to receive punishment of some sorts over an interesting story that shows the instance and peoples's behaviour on the matter, and not pointing fingers at, or naming names of, any company, series or person. Also, I personally would like to read more entries in this column, and it would be a shame if an outlet to let people vent their pent-up stories they've wanted to tell in the family BBQ or what-not can finally be let out.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:01 pm Reply with quote
What does the anonymity even do, allow for plausible deniability? Anyone in the business on the Japan side could piece together the clues and get exactly what's going on, they'd be in the know more than any of us, they'd just need to be able to read English.
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Hameyadea wrote:

I hope that "Brad"'s annoymity will remain safe and secure - since it would be a shame for someone to receive punishment of some sorts over an interesting story that shows the instance and peoples's behaviour on the matter, and not pointing fingers at, or naming names of, any company, series or person. Also, I personally would like to read more entries in this column, and it would be a shame if an outlet to let people vent their pent-up stories they've wanted to tell in the family BBQ or what-not can finally be let out.

Dude, there's nothing ANN can do, it's out of their hand. I'm sure "Brad" know this too. He knows ANN can keep it anonymous, but at the same time knows people outside of ANN will figure it out. So there's nothing ANN or "Brad" can do to stop this from happening.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Is that what people in the business will really do? Discriminate based on speculation?
addiemon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:21 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Is that what people in the business will really do? Discriminate based on speculation?

Possibly, if they become concerned that their private/proprietary business matters could become public gossip on prominent industry news sites.

No way to know for sure though.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:25 pm Reply with quote
What happens externally to ANN is not our concern. So long as we do our due diligence to maintain anonymity in the column and here in our own forums, we're fine, and likely so are the people involved.

There are stories people want to tell but they don't really want to include names, for a variety of reasons. This is very common and is used when someone is trying to illustrate a point without using hypotheticals - they want to give you the real world example of something happening but aren't interested in embroiling other people or making it a bigger deal than it needs to be. So they go this route.

As it stands, we can still have nice things. Whether or not we can continue to have nice things depends on people listening to the stated rules. Be cool about it, do the simple things we asked, and we're fine.

Otherwise, this gets canceled very quickly.
Lupica

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:26 pm Reply with quote
If the Japanese companies haven't come down heavily on this kind of thing in the past (Jerome of Manga Entertainment in the UK has often made rude remarks about his Japanese partners) then I don't think they're going to make a huge fuss about the occasional story, especially since the comments prove that a surprising number of people don't know which title it even relates to. So long as identifiable individuals aren't being singled out there's no reason to push it.

Heck, in some cases it might shine light on possible miscommunications or details lost in translation (literally or culturally) between both sides. It's interesting and people can learn from it.

(Why do I always end up posting around the same time as Zac?)
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:36 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
Dude, there's nothing ANN can do, it's out of their hand. I'm sure "Brad" know this too. He knows ANN can keep it anonymous, but at the same time knows people outside of ANN will figure it out. So there's nothing ANN or "Brad" can do to stop this from happening.

I wasn't blaming ANN, nor I was implying that ANN should handle all the discussions made on other forums. I was just expressing my worry that "Brad" will get any heat over this, that's all.

(I'm not a good example here since I'm not very knowledgeable on who licensed was, when, and what it turned-out to be at the end, but) I think that ANN has managed to keep the vagueness of the elements at a level that it isn't easy to "decipher" (if you will) the true names of those involved. As it was stated in this forum, the details and their alterations were discussed with "Brad" until the story was clear enough to understand the situation, but obscure enough that looking up the personnel involved is difficult.

As I've written in my previous post, this column isn't about naming people, but telling the situations caused by people within the industry and showing the flow of events.
thenix

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:21 pm Reply with quote
I think the column got taken down and I got a feeling it might go away because of all the people trying to out the anon info. Good job to all of you if that has/does happen :/
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:24 pm Reply with quote
^
Eh? Confused Are you having trouble accessing the page?
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:26 pm Reply with quote
nbahn wrote:
^

It doesn't appear on the front page at all, and if you click the "More Columns" link this particular one isn't there. Since it isn't locked, I would guess there was a technical issue, but it did concern me given how the thread was trending.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
nbahn wrote:
^

It doesn't appear on the front page at all, and if you click the "More Columns" link this particular one isn't there. Since it isn't locked, I would guess there was a technical issue, but it did concern me given how the thread was trending.

When I hover the cursor over the Views tabs in the Quicknav bar, I see the article. There isn't any need to click More Columns, since it should be the third from the top (as of the time of writing my post).
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Click on the link labelled "this article" at the top of this page.
cl-shojo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:23 pm Reply with quote
This column is such a great idea. If the series Brad is talking about is the series I'm thinking of, then that show really never had a chance, did it? It's one of my favorites, but the fact that it's from the 90s and very long--and the choice to release it over waaay too many singles--all hurt it. I'm still sad that the rest of it wasn't licensed, but I always understood why.
CheechMonger

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
yuna49 wrote:
I'm sorry, but what the hell difference does it make what show it was?

I don't know, and I think Zac summed it up pretty well, people might want to know but they don't need to know. This column has a lot of potential to share insight, so I'd really prefer if it wasn't shut down because people can't figure out that anonymity is going to be necessary at times.

I agree. I'd like to know, but I won't lose any sleep over the fact that I don't know the real name of the show or the true identity of "Brad".

Regarding "Brad", the first thing that popped into my head when I read the article was that Rosetta Stone commercial: "Goedemorgen mijn naam is Brad"
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9