• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tales Of The Industry - They Shoot Their Hostages, Don't They?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mbanu

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:19 am Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
DmonHiro wrote:
HeeroTX that would solve nothing. The Japanese would still demand that all key chains be recalled from the buyers.

This wasn't about finding a "solution" this was ALL about "face". Obviously someone (not Kazuhiro) took issue with the color of the keychain. Kazuhiro didn't give a crap one way or the other (if he cared, the original answer would've been "correct"), he just didn't want to get chewed out more than he already was. Once everyone can agree on who was at fault (whether that was "Brad" or "the Chinese supplier") Kazuhiro isn't gonna press the issue.

Witness the result once they pressed "YOU were the problem" on Kazuhiro, what got "fixed"? NOTHING, but now Kazuhiro doesn't "help" anymore (obviously he wasn't fired over it). If Brad takes the blame, then Kazuhiro can push a narrative that Americans are incompetent and Brad's bosses can say he won't get anything else of import, and six months later Kazuhiro will appreciate the "help" and no one else in Japan will remember who the hell he is except to laugh at that one screw-up that couldn't tell eggshell from white.

The whole POINT was to give some person who designed mu-sama a target of derision. Since that person (whoever it is) would have ZERO control over Brad's fate (unless it was truly the CEO of the anime company would could then cut off all deals with GENOM in the future, which I HIGHLY doubt), there's no real loss in taking one for the team.

EDIT: For the record, I have basically been in a VERY similar situation and took EXACTLY the course of action I recommended (took the blame for someone else's "fault"). The result is the muckity-muck in Japan probably thought I was an idiot, but "Kazuhiro" has been a great point of contact for years and has helped with numerous deals since then.

I agree that it was an office culture translation error. In the States, playing blame judo can advance one's career in the short-term, but squash it long term, as it gives one the reputation of being untrustworthy. So it can be hard to put on a different set of cultural lenses.
PockyCrusader

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:54 am Reply with quote
What an aggravating experience! I wonder if this kind of thing would happen now, though. After the anime bubble burst, I'm sure a lot of companies, both in Japan and in the West, were a lot more hesitant to make licensing and distributing more complicated than it needed to be.

I do enjoy these stories. I think that the insight gives fans a better understanding of how unique and complicated the industry is. It might make them more patient in the future once they see what kinds of hoops their local area companies have to jump through to bring them the products that they want.
Ushio

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:38 am Reply with quote
So is this what animenewsnetwork has become? resorting to posting fanfiction?
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:18 am Reply with quote
Well that was certainly an exciting story. Shame I can't ask anyone what series it was, because of privacy and all that. Still, makes for an interesting (if not aggravating) search to figure out what show it is.
thenix

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:54 am Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
thenix wrote:
This could be wrong but it seems like because of the way Japanese society runs (you give the person above you all the respect and never question them, even if they make a blunder) they expect to be treated that way from the US where we try to figure out what's going on and take a team approach to being responsible. Then problems arise and everything breaks down.

No offense, but this seems like a very naive view of American business, where we ALSO have no end of finger-pointing. In my experience, in ALL business, the saying is true "**** flows downhill". You ALWAYS (no matter in Japan, US, etc) give the guy above you respect and expect to deal with crap from above ALL THE TIME.

Heck, I know peers who are toxic as hell and look to cut you at the knees for slights real or imaginary. Sometimes you get good co-workers, sometimes you don't , but you never "blame" the boss or you get screwed on promotions, raises, etc. Now whether Kazuhiro was a "peer" or a "superior" no way to know, but if the Japanese side was strong-arming Brad then he should have asked his "actual" superior how the company should handle it, since otherwise you risk future deals.

Heck, they should have just thrown the Chinese supplier under the bus, since they had their money and wouldn't care anyway.

On second thought that's very true. I was thinking of more of these anime businesses at least at the time being smaller companies. Bigger companies do the same amount of finger pointing and political sacrificing. And at the same time these Japanese companies are large too so it might be about the same.
addiemon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:59 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
There was one thing that baffled me about this story, a fundamental mistake if you will that cannot be passed off as simply a side-effect of changing details to protect anonymity. "Genom Corp." already knew what colour "Mu-sama" was supposed to be before the artbox went onto shelves, as they had been given promotional materials and artwork of the mascot. I know this because they used it. I find it difficult to believe that "Brad" was unaware of the artwork's existence because - as the show's marketing manager - he would have been the one to decide which images to use and where they would go. A simple look at the available promotional materials would have told him what colour "Mu-sama" was supposed to be.

Remember that the licensor is not necessarily the studio that actually makes the show and art, since licensing committees are typically a dozen or so companies (IIRC? Don't have time to run through all of Answerman), so it's not a given that they just have all of the official art and the pantones or whatever identifiers they use for colors readily available. Sure, it seems easy to just ask for it, but anyone who's worked in b2b can probably attest that those requests rarely get turned around as easily and quickly as one would hope.

If said licensor only provided whatever they had on hand to the licensee, said licensee may not be aware of all art available, and as stated in the column, the images were not high-quality and reflected different color options.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:23 am Reply with quote
Hameyadea wrote:
I understand where you're coming from, but throwing [enter name here] off the bridge to save "face" doesn't necessarily means that it'll wrap-up the issue all nice and tidy. It might even add fuel to the fire

If you think there was an "acceptable" solution to the problem, I'd note that from everything we're given in the story, it's analogous to this:

http://retailcomic.com/comics/march-11-2014/
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:25 am Reply with quote
Ushio wrote:

And you're basing that accusation on what, exactly? It is well-known that issues crop up all the time that people can't/won't talk about in the anime industry, and in business in general, without a certain level of anonymity. It isn't so strange that sometimes problems get blown completely out of proportion, and "Brad" even mentioned that this situation was actually more of an anomaly than indicative of the usual business dealings his company had.
Touma

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:45 am Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:
Something that confused me in the article was the mention of the slow dub process. What did they mean by "there was barely any art",

I think that there was an error in the article.
Judging from the disconnect between "dub" and "art" I am guessing that a line of text, possibly more, got lost when it was copied at some point.

Ushio wrote:
posting fanfiction?

Even if the story was fiction, how could you possibly know that it is not true?

dtm42 wrote:
A simple look at the available promotional materials would have told him what colour "Mu-sama" was supposed to be.

Well, the article does say "In some slides, he looked eggshell, almost beige. In other shots, he was optic white. Sometimes he even seemed to have a blue tinge."
Apparently the material that he had was contradictory, so he asked about it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:38 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

There's no way to actually know if the following rumour is true or not, but if it is true then it would shed light the real reason why "Brad" was so badly treated by "Kazuhiro".

The rumour goes that "Kazuhiro" didn't really have the legal authority to authorise merchandise in the first place; he impinged on the territory of another Japanese stakeholder, the company which actually did hold the merchandising rights. Assuming that's true, the colour wasn't the issue at all. The false wrong-colour accusation - and the impossible-to-fulfill ultimatum that came with it - were just a smokescreen by "Kazuhiro" to cover up his mistake in treading on the toes of an influential Japanese company.

Usually, special goods that are pack-ins with the DVD sets and "not for sale" separately can get by without separate merchandising rights contracts. They're treated like anything else like an insert pamplet or postcards or other DVD-packins that are not separate goods from the DVDs themselves.

So even if Kazuhiro and his company didn't control merchandising rights something like this is _probably_ okay for them to approve, as long as they asked approval to the rest of the committee first, since they weren't being sold separately from the DVDs.
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:20 am Reply with quote
The problem with just switching the blame around is that it wouldn't have appeased the people who most objected to the miscolored mascot toy-presumably, the original licenses holders and content creators. In Japan, as far as I can tell, content creators such as manga-ka have the absolute say in how their creations are portrayed both at home and abroad. Supposedly, that's why it took so long to get Sailor Moon relicensed in the US (Naoki Takeuchi had the approve of all the details) and why we can't get the Rose of Versailles manga legally released in English. It may be why the third Evangelion movie is taking too long to come out.
So if the original manga-ka was supremely unhappy with a "counterfeit" mascot being distributed with his/her show, no amount of blame judo could make it better. Recalling the thing directly from consumers *might* have worked, but at what cost (financially for "Genon")?

Anyone else reminded of the episode of Shirobako in which spoiler[the manga-ka of the anime they're working on decided the character designs weren't "cute" enough, and threw the whole production in flux?]
rizuchan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:36 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
"Genom Corp." already knew what colour "Mu-sama" was supposed to be before the artbox went onto shelves, as they had been given promotional materials and artwork of the mascot. I know this because they used it. [...]

Remember that "Brad" said they had to recreate most of the artwork because they were given low quality originals. If the show is what I'm thinking it is (apologies if we're talking about completely different shows) a lot of the promo pictures they used did have "Mu-sama" a more eggshell color, while others were more snow white. Actually, if you were to ask me what color "Mu-sama" was before I read this article, I probably would have said eggshell white too. It's also very possible that "Brad" had ordered these keychains well before the final artwork was finished which could cause a discrepancy.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Ushio wrote:

This is not fan fiction actually. It's a new column created to post about REAL (not fan fiction or made up) stories in the Anime Industry that are either funny, weird, amazing, etc. Names are changed to protect anonymity of the people involved, but the stories are all 100% real. Not fake. It's not supposed to be a serious news or review column but rather an inside look into the anime industry via stories of experiences people inside it have had. Not all of the stories are directly related to or involve ANN staff.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
The problem with just switching the blame around is that it wouldn't have appeased the people who most objected to the miscolored mascot toy
So if the original manga-ka was supremely unhappy with a "counterfeit" mascot being distributed with his/her show, no amount of blame judo could make it better. Recalling the thing directly from consumers *might* have worked, but at what cost (financially for "Genon")?

That IS the point. Let's be realistic, there was ZERO possibility of the company (even "at great cost") recalling every single piece of product sold. There would just be no way to find all the buyers and a "voluntary" recall wouldn't get everyone whether due to "hoarders" or "people who don't get the message" or any other reason.

So at that point, the American company has 2 options:
1. Lay the blame on the Japanese person who is at "fault". This keeps the angry person angry at the "correct" person but doesn't solve the problem and makes the business contact (correctly or incorrectly) resentful of the American company, hurting future relations.
2. Give the business contact an "out". This allows the business contact to talk to the angry person about "other" people while maintaining the American company's relationship with the business. This is ESPECIALLY true if it was a manga-ka. Outside of Rumiko Takahashi (or a situation like Dragonball where it's a cash cow that is ALSO really long, in which case you DEFINITELY bend over backwards to not lose that license/hurt the relationship) having a single manga-ka mad at the American company is COMPLETELY irrelevant. At WORST, American company loses rights to "RINNA-CHAN" but how many other titles does a single manga-ka affect?

The POINT is that from an American perspective, the number of people who can have anything besides "impotent rage" about the issue is VERY small. I'm saying if the American company NEEDS to keep working with a middle man and never sees/interacts with whoever is ACTUALLY mad, then which one is it better to not anger? If we assume it is impossible to keep both happy, especially if we note that option 1 probably leaves BOTH unhappy, what's the better course of action?
Kougeru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:45 pm Reply with quote
So far these articles are timing very well with episodes of Shirobako in that the fanficiton accusations are not entirely off-base.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9