• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
House of 1000 Manga - Sparkler Monthly

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
catandmouse

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:35 am Reply with quote
I'll admit, I haven't ventured much into comics that are not either manga or marvel (not even DC much), but that doesn't mean I hate comics that don't fall into those 2 categories.

For me, it all mainly comes down to money and accessibility. Last time I counted, I had over 350 volumes of manga, mainly cus its easier to acquire (and cheaper) than comic books.

But I have read comics like Scott Pilgrim, American Vampire, Fables, etc, all of which I've enjoyed.

I myself draw in what could be called "manga-style", but that's just how I like drawing, and I don't feel like I'm trying to copy any style, I just draw like that.

I also never liked calling OEL's "manga", because to me they are comics, and trying to sell them as manga just seemed like a cheap attempt at selling. I think that might have also been why people seemed to hate them so much, because they weren't "manga" yet they were trying to sell them as such.

As for OEL's, the only one I really read and actually own in Off*Beat, and I really enjoyed it, wish it was maybe a volume longer, actually.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:16 am Reply with quote
I don't really have a problem with manga or American comics. I often look around for good ideas for stories and they're just one thing to go to for me for ideas. If I could draw manga (or draw period,)I'd love to do something like this,an American boy and his close friend,a Japanese girl go on an adventure together. And it could be done in either a traditional comic format or manga style. Either way,I think it would be a fun thing to do.
Guile

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:08 am Reply with quote
MajorZero wrote:
Great article. I always wondered why fandom hates OEL manga and especially visual novels not created in Japan.

I find them to mostly be extremely amateurish. Their priorities lie in attempting to fit into a category of "Japanese", not trying to be good or create their own thing. They also seem to have much lower standards compared to their Japanese counterpart. Huniepop is the biggest American visual novels and it looks downright terrible compared to even doujinsoft I've seen out of Japan. Inconsistent art (the character portraits don't look like the CG ones half the time, did a different artist do those?) and the sex scenes are barely enough to be considered sex scenes and not really interesting. Megatokyo is considered the father of all OEL, and the art style has barely gotten any better in the 15 years it's been around. It's extremely amazing to see a web comic progress so little in that amount of time. Even Ctrl Alt Del's art has gotten noticibly better, to say nothing of the ones like Penny Arcade.

I've yet to be impressed by any American VN or OEL. It doesn't help there seems to be a very low barrier of entry. Any artist from tumblr can make a comic and claim it to be OEL, or code a VN in their spare time or even Kickstarter/Patreon it. Comparing those to actual proper Japanese commercial releases is just unfair so it's no surprise they have a bad reputation.
MajorZero

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Guile wrote:
I find them to mostly be extremely amateurish. Their priorities lie in attempting to fit into a category of "Japanese", not trying to be good or create their own thing. They also seem to have much lower standards compared to their Japanese counterpart. Huniepop is the biggest American visual novels and it looks downright terrible compared to even doujinsoft I've seen out of Japan.

Well, they're made by amateurs and at this point the only driving force behind creators will to continue their work is love towards medium since I highly doubt they can provide a food on the table by doing something that only 2.5 man will ever see. Admittedly, I'm not terribly interested in OEL scene but VN's such as Analogue or Katawa Shoujo provide rather different experience from their japanese counterpart. Besides, excluding few visual novels here and there I've never read something extraordinary good from japanese side too. 50 hours of exposition, pointless monologues and dubious dialogues is hardly a good investment of time.
Tamaria

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:05 am Reply with quote
MajorZero wrote:

Well, they're made by amateurs and at this point the only driving force behind creators will to continue their work is love towards medium since I highly doubt they can provide a food on the table by doing something that only 2.5 man will ever see.

I'm not sure I'd call them amateurs. While Tokyopops contracts were notoriously shitty, they were getting paid for their work. But many of them were inexperienced and young, and I didn't get the feeling they were recieving much editiorial guidance. For instance, the young woman who drew Bizenghast did some nice illustrations, but she wasn't skilled at drawing actual comics yet. It took her atleast several volumes to get a little better at that, but hey, her cover art was pretty enough to sell books and I guess that's what mattered to Tokyopop.
MajorZero

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Tamaria wrote:
I'm not sure I'd call them amateurs.

I was talking about people who work at Sparkler. Though, I've no idea what type of contract they use, my guess their salary depends on overall number of subscribers magazine has. Thanks for the link, it was a good read, never thought someone can willingly lose their rights on product they've created.
Quote:
It took her atleast several volumes to get a little better at that, but hey, her cover art was pretty enough to sell books and I guess that's what mattered to Tokyopop.

Ha ha, if Togashi and WSJ can get away with that, why Tokyopop can't?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2