• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Idolm@ster Cinderella Girls to Air in Split Seasons

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Via_01

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I wouldn't jump the gun and say it's not doing well popularity-wise because of some arbitrary reason ("I don't like this show, and thus it must not be popular" being one of them). There's really no way for us to know as of yet how well CG is doing. Sure, we can look at discussion threads, but people seem to love Garo around here and it tanked anyways. And sure, we can check how many CG doujinshis are coming out, but honestly, those have been released consistenly ever since the game first debuted, and with the sheer amount of them, it'd be impossible how many were drawn because of the current anime...

Anyway, I'm also part of the group that really enjoys the show, and I don't see why they should make any changes to it on the 2nd cour. Fin.
Amiantos

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:53 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
I'm guessing they'll take this time to figure out how to improve it. It's doing pretty bad, popularity wise. It's just really REALLY bland. There's no humor, no energy...

Given I haven't checked in awhile, I'm calling bs on this. Last I've checked or even heard it was consistently high on nico with maybe 1 or 2 not being too hot.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Amiantos wrote:
DmonHiro wrote:
I'm guessing they'll take this time to figure out how to improve it. It's doing pretty bad, popularity wise. It's just really REALLY bland. There's no humor, no energy...

Given I haven't checked in awhile, I'm calling bs on this. Last I've checked or even heard it was consistently high on nico with maybe 1 or 2 not being too hot.

Actually it was the 5th episode that sucks, most other episodes have 90%+ rankings. It's not doing super hot in preorders but that's because it's not as good as the 1st and it doesn't have many of the characters people like in the main cast, it would have extremely high preorder rankings to the point that Kancolle would've had no chance if it had characters such as Kaede, Sachiko, Nana, and Nina in the main cast.
Via_01

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
Actually it was the 5th episode that sucks, most other episodes have 90%+ rankings. It's not doing super hot in preorders but that's because it's not as good as the 1st and it doesn't have many of the characters people like in the main cast, it would have extremely high preorder rankings to the point that Kancolle would've had no chance if it had characters such as Kaede, Sachiko, Nana, and Nina in the main cast.

Believe it or not, the main cast is also composed of fan favorites, and you need to consider that with 150+ characters, they can't possibly catter to every single fanbase, and NEED to make a selection that is balanced if they don't want every single aspect of the show to fall apart. At the very least they are making an effort of showing other characters through cameos that feel more or less natural.
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:42 pm Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
Quote:

I mean, where's the heart wrenching emotion that brought me to tears in episode 20? Where's the fun antics and clever parodies that made me laugh until it hurt? Nowhere.

Because reactions are subjective, even if material is going for drama or comedy doesn't mean the viewership is going to react with strong emotions even if the media is properly going through the steps to garner an emotional response.
Ah yes, 'subjective'. What a neat little buzzword that is. Almost makes it seems as if no criticism is valid and my doodle of a penis I can produce in 10 seconds is on the same level as a Picasso piece.

There are certain times where you could use a word like that but in this circumstance they are quite clearly not making the proper steps to garner an emotional response from the viewers. Unless the 'proper steps' include pulling an incredibly insignificant emotional conflict out of thin air and spending most of an episode brooding over it in dark rooms that make me feel like I'm watching a boring episode of Psycho-Pass where the cast has been replaced by cute girls.

Chihaya had more than enough reason to be sad. Mio was only sad because she's an idiot.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:30 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Chihaya had more than enough reason to be sad. Mio was only sad because she's an idiot.

Except that teen girls over reacting because not enough of her "e-friends" showing up to her mall concert is actually a very realistic scenario and Chihaya's most memorable scene in anime is very much something out of a cheap tv drama because a music artist is either fine the whole time to perform or they are probably going to remain an emotional wreck and not "overcome just in time" because her friends came in to cheer her up.

I will agree that Chihaya's big scene was emotional, but just as well the scenario was crafted so specifically to create an audience emotional response that if one takes a bit of time to look it seems much more artificial than Mio's hissy fit.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2