• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dōkyūsei Boys-Love Manga Gets Anime Starring Kenji Nojima, Hiroshi Kamiya

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
endallchaos

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:56 pm Reply with quote
I don't think I will be watching this, but it sounds like it will have a pretty good soundtrack. Smile
katscradle

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Nakamura published the original manga in Japan in 2006 in one compiled volume. The series was followed by the spin-off Sora to Hara and sequels Sotsugyōsei (Graduates) and O.B.. Digital Manga Guild has released Dōkyūsei and Sotsugyōsei in English.

*sighs*
DMG has only released Doukyuusei (and without one of the stories for some reason). The 2 volumes of Sotsugyousei are licensed but, have not yet appeared on their schedule. I know it is a near impossible task to keep track of releases. Still whenever someone on ANN writes up a piece that relates in some way with licenses belonging to Digital Manga in particular, it would be beneficial to do further fact checking. The situations with their licenses are often confusing and repeatedly reporting incorrect information causes more confusion for people.
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:19 pm Reply with quote
WikiSonic wrote:
Kaioshin_Sama wrote:
Why? I mean specifically why is it nice to see more BL stuff get recognition? I mean too me it doesn't seem all that uncommon anymore, especially lately or at least that's how it feels. There's a lot of weird same sex oriented stuff coming out of late as producers start to realize it's potential and how easy it is to make a quick buck off of such titles at least where the BL stuff is concerned and to me it just looks like the tip of the iceberg more than anything.

I don't understand where you get this idea from. I remember only two yuri/BL titles that came out last year: Sakura Trick and Love Stage. Both of which did not sell well, and Love Stage, a BL title, sold worse out of the two.

Implied
yuri/BL and intimate same-sex friendships are where there's money to be made. Pure yuri and BL should be considered financial risks.

I don't know to me this stuff just looks like it's getting more and more commercial attention and sorry but I just don't see it. Aniplex knows what they are doing getting Hiroshi Kamiya for this, it's about the most obvious and safe casting choice they could have possibly gone with. All they need to do is add some sort of event ticket and the financial concerns are well taken care of.

It's a shame for the guy cause he's totally a talented seiyuu but he's essentially just getting used as a trump card for studios looking to pander to fujoshi.
princess passa passa

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:53 pm Reply with quote
^
Quote:
It's a shame for the guy cause he's totally a talented seiyuu but he's essentially just getting used as a trump card for studios looking to pander to fujoshi.

Isn't that a bit presumptuous on your part? You don't even know if he likes to pander to them or not...

Either way they know what they are doing cus I'm not into boys love but I clicked this article when saw his name. Animation looks cool too along with the overall production values.

Last edited by princess passa passa on Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:26 pm Reply with quote
THANK THE YAOI LORDS!!! Tumblr didn't lie to me.
Me and my close college firend ADORE Nakamura Asumiko and I own her only English published manga Utsubora from Vertical Inc. Oh my gosh please tell me that DMP or Viz's Sublime will try to get her manga in print. I love her art style and her short story manga are amazing~ And everyone else is glad that it's not a Shinjuku Nakamura manga; I'm glad that it's not Studio DEEN. Since A-1 Pictures anime are almost always picked up by Aniplex of America, I hope they pick this up because I will pre-order the heck out this!!! Very Happy

Quote:

Clearly you know nothing about Hiroshi Kamiya's track record for BL Drama CDs. Here's a little sample; NSFW content.
meepsheeps

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:29 pm Reply with quote
I find it funny how every non-drama CD fan thinks that this is Kamiyan's first role in BL. He's quite experienced with it Wink

Also, he was in Sekaiichi Hatsukoi but as a minor character.

I don't see what's wrong with using voice actors to "pander" to others. He's making good money, everyone's happy and if he fits the role, even better. No need to be pessimistic.
princess passa passa

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:34 pm Reply with quote
@keichitsu0305

Those Drama CDs are taking no prisoners! LOL, when you said NSFW, you meant it.

Either way, from what I have seen of Kamiya at some events, he's a total ham that loves his female fans' attention Smile
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:06 pm Reply with quote
The art style surely looks interesting, and Kamiya is always a plus.

A question for people familiar with the source material: Is this a genuine love story with honest emotions and depth or mostly BL fanservice oriented?
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:11 pm Reply with quote
I find the Nojima Kenji & Kamiya Hiroshi duo interesting. When Kamiyan was in a bad accident, Nojima took his place and voices Takemoto on the broadcast version of the last episode of H&C.

Somehow it seems fitting that they are voicing the pair of main characters.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Knoepfchen wrote:

A question for people familiar with the source material: Is this a genuine love story with honest emotions and depth or mostly BL fanservice oriented?

1000% genuine! Very Happy

There is no major drama, forced sexual conduct, and the two are just normal high school boys who start as friends then lovers. In the manga Occupation to Beloved spoiler[they move in together!!!] It's wonderful, so wonderful.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Kaioshin_Sama wrote:
I don't know to me this stuff just looks like it's getting more and more commercial attention and sorry but I just don't see it. Aniplex knows what they are doing getting Hiroshi Kamiya for this, it's about the most obvious and safe casting choice they could have possibly gone with. All they need to do is add some sort of event ticket and the financial concerns are well taken care of.

There's been more bl animated recently but it is nowhere yet on the same level as other genres in terms of the number of series animated.

And Doukyuusei was made into a drama CD in 2008. Kamiya and Nojima were already voicing Kusakabe and Sajou back then. Kamiya was popular at that time too but not nearly as popular as he is now so in this case the cast has nothing to do with "obvious" or "safe casting choice[s]."

Kamiya doesn't do any new bl work these days, only sequels of previous works. He is absolutely AMAZING in bl so these opportunities are a real treat.

Relistened to the Doukyuusei drama CD last night and was reminded of how adorable Kusakabe and Sajou are. It really is just a story of two boys falling in love. Will listen to Sotsugyousei later today, and the drama CD for O.B. comes out next month. Looking forward to that.

Ragga Ragga wrote:
Either way, from what I have seen of Kamiya at some events, he's a total ham that loves his female fans' attention Smile

Yes, yes he does. And he loves picking on any boys that he finds lingering in the mostly female audience.

keichitsu0305 wrote:
Clearly you know nothing about Hiroshi Kamiya's track record for BL Drama CDs. Here's a little sample; NSFW content.

*high fives*

Looks like that video was created late last year though, which means before the release of Tsumi no Shitone mo Nureru Yoru 2 that came out last month. Now THAT was nosebleeding, holy crap. Being a seiyuu fan for about 15 years now, I like to think that I'm easily able to separate seiyuu from their characters, but after hearing that Fuyuki I feel somewhat awkward when seeing Kamiya live. It was that hawt and he's that good. XDDD

Anyone who needs to be reminded of how good an actor Kamiya is needs only to listen to him voice Fuyuki in the Seikanji-ke series, especially the latest drama CD. (Very, very NSFW.) Btw, Tsumi Shitone 2 made it to #5 on Oricon's Daily Album chart on the day of its release. People were really looking forward to Kamiya's first main bl role in years, myself included. And now that Koto no Ha Dayori is getting an official bound release (it was originally released as a series of doujinshi side stories by the author), I really really hope we'll be able to get a drama CD version out of it. Kamiya and OnoD! *____*

Okay, stop me now before I ramble (more than I already have).
chrysanths

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Oh, this looks very lovely. I haven't read any of Nakamura Asumiko's works because I haven't quite acclimated to her unconventional art style yet, but I do know she's having quite a good year.

This isn't the first of her stuff to be animated. I don't think it was covered on ANN like the Bump of Chicken-Umino Chica collaboration, but she did the character designs for the dresscodes's music video, "Anime mitai na". Unfortunately, it was animated by NAZ in garishly rendered CGI, but at least it's set to good music. (YMMV with his voice, though.)

I think I read somewhere that the dresscodes, aka Shima Ryohei, is a fan of her stuff and specifically asked to work with her and she personally accepted. I've not yet listened to his full album, but his Hippies EP was excellent. I wonder if he'll contribute to this soundtrack.

Just thought her fans would like to know! Anime exclamation
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Th-this isn't a dream? This is real? *hyperventilates* Praise the lord hallelujah!
wohdin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:59 pm Reply with quote
I'm so glad to see more BL get animated. It's finally coming into its own as a real, profitable genre. (Well, I mean, it's always been profitable, but now major studios are finally acknowledging that fact! It's awesome!)

I just hope they don't asexual-wash it like SOME things have been recently *CoughDramaticalMurderCoughWheeze*.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:00 pm Reply with quote
wohdin wrote:
I'm so glad to see more BL get animated. It's finally coming into its own as a real, profitable genre. (Well, I mean, it's always been profitable, but now major studios are finally acknowledging that fact! It's awesome!)

With A-1 handling the animation, I think we can expect some quality animation, which is a big plus. With the exception of Junjou Romantica/Sekaiichi Hatsukoi which had pretty decent animation, I think most bl series, including OVAs, have rather subpar animation. I've got really high hopes for Doukyuusei.

wohdin wrote:
I just hope they don't asexual-wash it like SOME things have been recently *CoughDramaticalMurderCoughWheeze*.

*rolls eyes* I don't know how I last 10 episodes through that.

Finished relistening to Sotsugyousei. Ahh~ Adolescence. The situations depicted in the series are very believable. It's very easy to imagine high school boys feeling shy and acting the way they do. When thinking of the atmosphere of the series, Sakamichi no Apollon comes to mind. It just has that subtle air to it, I think.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3