• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Tragically Unlicensed Shojo Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Shugo Chara, Pretty Cure, and Idol Angel Yōko Yōkoso...

One of them has an English version (albeit whitewashed) for only the initial season, the other two have never reached U.S. shores.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:48 pm Reply with quote
I have been meaning to finish Boys Over Flowers (even if I have heard Bad Things about the ending.....).
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Voted for Duke Togo, because killing people is the only thing he does and he always gets away.
Polycell

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:53 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
This one's more old-school, but everyone's been wanting They Were 11 to get rescued.
Oh god yes! I loved that one; it really is too bad nobody's wanted/been able to bring it back.
princess passa passa

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:59 pm Reply with quote
nbahn wrote:
I have been meaning to finish Boys Over Flowers (even if I have heard Bad Things about the ending.....).

I tried watching it but bucked up on the Korean Live Action version and never turned back. That version is wackest and greatest show ever made.
GDMaid Man

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:00 pm Reply with quote
I can't really comment on the anime, but the live action version of Hataraki Man was pretty enjoyable. But it did star Kanno Miho, so that kind of favorably skews the enjoyment factor.
lys

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:01 pm Reply with quote
I may be part of the problem: I'm the obvious target of shoujo and josei media, buying dozens of shoujo manga series in English and Japanese, but I don't care about anime and don't typically buy more than... like, 1 series a year? Even if I think it's a great series, I rarely get farther than a few episodes in before I either buy the manga (if available) or add the manga to my own personal tragically-unlicensed list (or add it to the list and buy it in Japanese, if I'm really determined).

I do wonder if this is a sort of trend (rather than just my individual preference), since even in Japan the anime that gets produced leans more heavily toward a male demographic, while manga seems like a fairly even split (or at least, there's such an abundance of manga for everyone, no demographic is lacking in content).

(a couple notes for people who like to obsess over the technicalities: first, josei is the correct spelling, there is no u. it's a short vowel in Japanese, the same kanji as the jo in "shoujo." second, I think this list is just fine for including josei and technically-seinen with its shoujo. It could more accurately be "7 Tragically Not-Currently-Licensed Anime Targeted Mainly at Females" but "Shojo Anime" gets the point across well enough for me, and I am not personally offended by these shows being grouped together. (I only take personal offense when romance series clearly aimed at guys are ignorantly called "shoujo" :) )
Saturn

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:45 pm Reply with quote
lys wrote:
I may be part of the problem: I'm the obvious target of shoujo and josei media, buying dozens of shoujo manga series in English and Japanese, but I don't care about anime and don't typically buy more than... like, 1 series a year? Even if I think it's a great series, I rarely get farther than a few episodes in before I either buy the manga (if available) or add the manga to my own personal tragically-unlicensed list (or add it to the list and buy it in Japanese, if I'm really determined).

I do wonder if this is a sort of trend (rather than just my individual preference), since even in Japan the anime that gets produced leans more heavily toward a male demographic, while manga seems like a fairly even split (or at least, there's such an abundance of manga for everyone, no demographic is lacking in content).

I remember reading somewhere that that IS actually a trend among female consumers-- for whatever reason, in general, we buy more manga than anime. I have no idea why, and I don't know if the article explained it either, but it's true in my case as well and in the case of all but one of my anime-fan girl friends. I'm not sure why that happened, because when I was a young teenager I used to buy boatloads of fansubs (back when they were on VHS tapes).

Anyway on the topic of Paradise Kiss, I feel like the anime of that one just doesn't do the manga justice. And the ending doesn't have nearly the emotional punch somehow.
Hitokiri Kenshin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:50 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
Also Skip Beat and Tokyo Mew Mew.

They are licensed. Saw them in B&N the other day.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:53 pm Reply with quote
@Hitokiri Kenshin

The discussion is about the anime version not the manga. Skip Beat anime is available on Crunchyroll but has not come out on disk in North America yet.
Dop.L

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Oh yes. I rewatched Hataraki Man last year and at the time I figured that was the kind of show that wouldn't even get made these days. Although I've often wondered if Hiroko's boyfriend Shinji is a reference to the other Anno's Shinji, given he's also a whiny loser guy!

Chihayafuru is another one of the great shows which only has an English language licence down under. Why Australia gets some of these shows that none of the rest of the English speaking world gets beats me.

If it's wrong that I fancy the hell out of Paradise Kiss' Isabella, then I don't want to be right. It's a great show and I think in a way it sets the foundation for Ai Yazawa's tragically unfinished NANA.

Good choices!
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Dop.L wrote:
Chihayafuru is another one of the great shows which only has an English language licence down under. Why Australia gets some of these shows that none of the rest of the English speaking world gets beats me.

I'm going to guess that it's a mix of Australia simply being a very different market than North America, much like France & other European markets, and I'm almost positive that companies like Madman & Siren Visual don't pay anywhere near as much for licensing as companies like FUNimation or Sentai do here. Australia is such a smaller market than we are that I'm going to bet that the Japanese companies don't ask for as much as they do for licensing to North America.

I wouldn't be surprised if Siren Visual got Chihayafuru for a price that would seem like a pittance compared to what a company here in North America would have to pay, simply because the market there isn't going to be a potentially large.
AbZeroNow

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:07 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
This one's more old-school, but everyone's been wanting They Were 11 to get rescued.

I already own the DVD that CPM had released, and although that is a good movie, I won't double dip unless there is a Bluray. Maybe Discotek might consider a license rescue for that.
Hakajin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Nodame! Nodame Nodame Nodame! I want that series so freakin' bad! We have the manga, but it's just not the same without the music... And the voice acting! The Japanese voice acting is amazing. I tried watching the English on Crackle once... but it was weird, because the original voice actors ARE those characters to me. It even makes it hard to read the manga in English.
gloverrandal

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:43 pm Reply with quote
I would say the most tragic unlicensed shoujo are all the huge properties currently airing in Japan for years now. Pretty Cure, Jewelpet, Aikatsu, and PriPara being the big four giant titles.

I'm aware the first Pretty Cure was dubbed in Canada, though given a whitewashed dub as it was mentioned. To my surprise Jewelpet toys were release in America according to this commercial but the anime was never licensed. I'm not sure if the toys still exist in the American market or not. Aikatsu and PriPara haven't gotten either.

Unfortunately if they did get license it might be by a company who wouldn't give them very faithful dubs. The shows themselves deal with a lot off issues that just don't work for kids shows here. Death, incest, transgender, and a lot of mature issues that would probably prevent them from taking off in an American market. Like a lot of shoujo, they have heavy hitting tragic elements hiding behind all the sparkles and cute characters. That's what makes them so interesting though, in my opinion.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7