• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Tragically Unlicensed Shojo Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:18 pm Reply with quote
My vote would be for Miracle Girls, because I like romantic comedy stories with low-key ESPer power twists à la Kimagure Orange Road and also because it featured the most awesome Phil Spector Wall-Of-Sound-esque opening theme.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Animego: Discotek is like every other company. They don't like betting on niche shows. And shoujo which bombed the first time isn't going to motivate them much.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:06 am Reply with quote
While it's definitely out of the running for an anime adaptation, I'm always sad to see my unfinished collection of the Swan manga. :/ Too bad no one ever license-rescued it.
Crisha

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:11 am Reply with quote
And yet Discotek has licensed CCS: The Movie, Ceres, Lovely Complex, and Magic Knight Rayearth on BD. Have they actually come out to state that Lovely Complex bombed for them (which is the one never previously released license)?

Additionally, they've licensed some sports anime, a genre that has historically has not done well in America.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:19 am Reply with quote
willag: If Viz finished the manga, then Lovely Complex was probably not a bad seller, at least. As for the show, I imagine Discotek got a good deal from Toei. And the main reason they picked up Yowamushi is because it's likely to be short, by sports anime standards. [Unless they do a third season...]
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:57 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Her other anime, Sugar Sugar Rune, hasn't come over either.
Sadly it probably won't, as it's too much of a throwback to the pre-Sailor-Moon "Princess(es) from magical world prove their worth" subgenre of Magical Girl anime that never caught on over here. Heck, if not for the efforts of myself and one certain other ANN poster (among a few others), there probably wouldn't be any English translations of it to begin with. At least not good ones, anyway.

animegomaniac wrote:
I really liked the show Ultramaniac; It's not licensed, it's shoujo and it's longer than the manga. It's not the greatest shoujo in the world but I'll still take it over any otome adaptation.
Viz does have streaming rights to Ultra Maniac, so technically it's not completely unlicensed at the moment.
yuna49

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:18 am Reply with quote
mandisaw wrote:
Saiunkoku could've gone on for another 39-ep run and I still wouldn't have felt sated though :sigh:

I thought the second season dragged a bit, especially during the joukan arc. I'd still like to know how things end, though. I did a little searching to see which novels have been translated, but it doesn't appear the instalments past the end of season two are available in English.

Tenchi wrote:
My vote would be for Miracle Girls, because I like romantic comedy stories with low-key ESPer power twists à la Kimagure Orange Road and also because it featured the most awesome Phil Spector Wall-Of-Sound-esque opening theme.

My favorite anime song in the "wall-of-sound" style is the opening to Kurenai, "Love Jump."
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:29 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Quote:
Her other anime, Sugar Sugar Rune, hasn't come over either.
Sadly it probably won't, as it's too much of a throwback to the pre-Sailor-Moon "Princess(es) from magical world prove their worth" subgenre of Magical Girl anime that never caught on over here. Heck, if not for the efforts of myself and one certain other ANN poster (among a few others), there probably wouldn't be any English translations of it to begin with. At least not good ones, anyway.

There was an English dub that aired on Cartoon Network Philippines. Not sure if the whole series was dubbed, though.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:16 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
Minky Momo is all about the ending, or so I've heard. And having heard about the ending, I don't want to watch the show. Tragically, indeed.

(Well, it's not about the ending, but seriously, for most of the fans, there don't seem to be any other episodes...It's getting kinda creepy. Shocked )

willag wrote:
And yet Discotek has licensed CCS: The Movie, Ceres, Lovely Complex, and Magic Knight Rayearth on BD. Have they actually come out to state that Lovely Complex bombed for them (which is the one never previously released license)?

I suspect most current fans didn't remember a series from six years ago, which only had underground good word-of-mouth at the time from digisub fans who pointed out how distinctive it was from an already cliche'-ridden genre.
The fact that it had been lying around forgotten for all that time probably made it a better licensing deal, and they weren't expecting a "romance" title to be a DBZ-level seller anyway.

DmonHiro wrote:
It should have been about shoujo titles that were never licensed in the first place, like Nurse Angel, Shugo Chara, Akazukin Chacha, etc.

While I don't think Akazukin Chacha SHOULD have been major-licensed (the last thing it needed was the pasted in magical-girl stock footage endings), I'll at least chime in support as the other fan who remembers it from the days of fansub VHS. Smile
For the same reason, I'd mention Hime-chan no Ribbon from the VHS days, but I'll concede that most of it was pleasantly, harmlessly bland, compared to Card Captor Sakura doing the same thing on turbo a few years later.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:34 am Reply with quote
Zalis: Anime Sols could fund Sugar Sugar Rune, but don't seem to want to...
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:16 am Reply with quote
willag wrote:

6. Story of Saiunkoku - There probably won't ever be a full translation of the novels online (just short summaries), so having an anime wrap up the story would be great.

I just wish they'd make a complete manga adaptation
of Saiunkoku. I loved the manga adaptation that Viz released here even more than the anime, but it's "complete" at about 7 volumes, covering maybe a quarter of the story.

willag wrote:
Also, I've tried several live action adaptations, but I just don't seem to care for them. Live action doesn't have the wackiness that I prefer animated or drawn material to have. Anime/manga tends to be more visually expressive. Also, live action makes things more down-to-earth and realistic, which removes a lot of the cartooniness or visual gags that I love. So I'd rather have anime adaptations than live action adaptations.

My problem with most of the Asian live action adaptations I've seen is that they're *too* wacky, melodramatic and cartoonish! I've realized that there are a lot of exaggerations I'm willing to watch in cartoon form that just makes me cringe when presented in live action.
yuna49

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
I've realized that there are a lot of exaggerations I'm willing to watch in cartoon form that just makes me cringe when presented in live action.

It's the "mugging" in Japanese live-action shows that turns me off. I've watched all of the Nodame Cantabile productions, the TV series and the movies, and I was pretty tired of Ueno Juri's performance as Nodame by the time I was done. I preferred Tamaki Hiroshi's work as Chiaki, but it Ueno who won the awards.

I couldn't get past the first episode of the live-action remake of Moyashimon for the same reasons.

The live-action version of Bartender suffered less from these faults, though it played up the potential for romance between Ryuu and Miwa much more than did the anime. (I never understood how a lovely young heiress like Miwa was unattached.)
Clyde_Cash

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Could use Skip Beat and Shugo Chara as well in my opinion.

I didn't finish either of those. I particularly couldn't get into Shugo Chara. It's just too kiddie for me. This was also at a time when I watched far more anime than I do now. These days, I only watch two shows on Toonami--DBZ Kai and Kill la Kill.

I own Marmalade Boy and Boys Over Flowers, so their unlicensed and out-of-print status is no issue. The last volume of the latter was a pain in the ass to find cheap. Had to make do with a library copy, and they had the nerve to put stickers right on the box art! Not on the plastic sleeve on the case, but the actual paper itself.

Paradise Kiss: Only saw it all the way through once and haven't touched it since. It felt too short, though.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:08 pm Reply with quote
shterraarson wrote:
Awwww Marmalade Boy! I loooooved that show. SO cheesy but SO good! Same with Boys Over Flowers which SERIOUSLY should get an anime reboot to go along with manga anyway.

Deadliest assassin...EVERYONE IN BLACK LAGOON, Hei in DTB before well...the second season happened, Zwei in Requiem for the Phantom, Claire "Vino" Stanfield in Baccano! and oh yeah did I mention EVERYONE IN BLACK LAGOON?

Since I'm guessing you might like Black Lagoon, just a theory, you should definitely check out Jormungand. While not technically assassins they are major ass kickers and name takers.
NJ_

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:37 am Reply with quote
willag wrote:

They haven't said anything but it's getting a re-release in two weeks in a "Thin pack".

EricJ2 wrote:
I suspect most current fans didn't remember a series from six years ago, which only had underground good word-of-mouth at the time from digisub fans who pointed out how distinctive it was from an already cliche'-ridden genre.
The fact that it had been lying around forgotten for all that time probably made it a better licensing deal, and they weren't expecting a "romance" title to be a DBZ-level seller anyway.

It wasn't completely forgotten since it was one of those shows that FUNimation was removing fansubbed episodes for years ago to the point where people thought they had the license and were excited over it since this was at the time when they were removing other shows that they licensed but hadn't announced yet.

As for why it took so long, in addition to Toei, music rights may have been another factor since each of the show's opening & ending songs were by Johnny's bands and we have seen what happened with other shows brought over here with music by some of their guys (Kodocha, Skull Man, One Piece & I believe Toriko as well).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7