• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Plastic Memories (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Was it ever explained how the black market retrievers make their money? If Giftas about to go postal are worth that much why don't they steal young ones?

Android Protection Laws? Ha ha.

18 hours of the whole team spoiler[running around non-stop turns up nothing]. Five minutes of limping with Ilsa spoiler[ends up on a random rooftop where the target happens to be.] Logical.
TRNielson

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 8:34 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Was it ever explained how the black market retrievers make their money? If Giftas about to go postal are worth that much why don't they steal young ones?

My personal theory: Black market armies. spoiler[Look at how fast and strong Marcia was after she went postal. If they could find a way to control them, imagine the money one could make off selling them.]

Other theory is something to do with their components after they've hit their life span.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Really hope that they explain what the heck Souta was doing there in that military-style high security area. My thoughts are that there is another non-yet-seen party here who knows exactly how Wanderers work. They went to Souta and said that Marcia had been found and offered to take him to them and are somehow trying to take advantage of the situation of a berserk Wanderer. Really hope the show is going to go with something like that because otherwise Souta being there is a huge plot-hole. This show sure doesn't mind shifting tones on the turn of a dime does it?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 9:03 pm Reply with quote
A lot of things bugged me about this eppie, some of which have already been mentioned above.

First: great, Souta has finally accepted Marcia again but naturally they don't get to spend their last day together in peace. Hey, he's already lost his parents and is soon to be a true orphan, but that doesn't mean his life can't get a little shittier, right?

So fine, the plot contrivance that delivers this little bit of good cheer is a black marketeer who takes absolutely zero steps to protect himself from an android that, presumably, he knows can go rogue at any point after the magic number of hours. And as Haruhi Toy has pointed out, there's a market for potentially berserk, pyschotic androids why exactly?

And as Megiddo pointed out, Souta got into this secured area how exactly? Then again, his life isn't crap enough so let's make sure his last memory of Marcia is her throttling him. Screw you, Souta, you little brat, I guess.

And then, yes of course, the highly advanced gun designed to disable androids that conveniently takes 8 hours to power up. And of course, even though Tsukasa can clearly see that Marcia has become a Wanderer, he's not going to follow common sense and try to shoot her right away, is he? Oh no, everyone knows the proper protocol for dealing with a rogue android is to put your hand out and hope they take it. Obviously.

Wait...that actually didn't work out? Wow, didn't see that coming. So fine, get that 8-hour time lag gun ready to shoot. Meanwhile, your highly advanced, gimpy android partner apparently can't see that your 8-hour time lag gun is powering up to shoot so she's just going to run in front of it. Oh look it goes off! And because this episode hasn't sucked enough already, let's throw in a cheesy cliffhanger!

Ah, blow me.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 12:18 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
And as Megiddo pointed out, Souta got into this secured area how exactly?

Yeah, when he showed up I actually shouted wtf at the screen. Not just how he got in, but how did he know where to go? Don't tell me he followed them around all day, unless he's got faster-than-cars legs. Hell, I thought it was bizarre that they'd leave him at his home alone with no guardian in the first place.

This started out with some interesting ideas, but I now think this is this show's true colors, and I'm skeptical that they can recover the potential they've squandered with these last few episodes.
Raftina

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 12:58 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
And as Haruhi Toy has pointed out, there's a market for potentially berserk, pyschotic androids why exactly?

18:15 in episode 1, CR stream

Note that Tsukasa said replacing the OS, not replacing the entire brain. The memory breakdown is apparently a software issue rather than deterioration of hardware. The machine itself can be reset by resetting the software. If the black marketers can install giftia OS, then they can make use of the (presumably expensive) body.

By the way, was it explained why Marcia went berserk? Yamanobe told the department head that she was due to expire at 13:00, and you can clearly see a 09:23 on the screen when Kazuki was talking to the R. Security person.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 1:28 am Reply with quote
Souta's presence (and voice) was obviously the catalyst to Marcia's rampage. This was also shown in Michiru's flashback I believe where it wasn't until Michiru cried out for her 'father' that he went berserk. I'd posit that this is likely due to the acknowledgement that the giftia has lost something important due to its deteriorating memory.

Something that I noticed as well during the flashback was that Isla was not near her partner and was nowhere to be seen at all. I am curious to see what occurred to her back then.

Honestly, looking back at the episode, it's not that bad. Tsukasa and Isla saw more or less the roof that Marcia had jumped to and that precise info is pretty tough to give by voice communication. The main weak point in the writing remains Souta's appearance, and honestly, that can only be explained by a third party, so I'll reiterate that I'm hoping that's the path that the creators are going.

I was hesitant about this series despite being a big Dogakobo fan since I really don't like the body of work of the writer Hayashi who was a big part of the semi-colon visual novels. After episode 4 I was starting to look with a bit more optimism for this series and I'd hate to see that dashed by such a monumental and unavoidable plot hole. Guess I'll just have to wait for the next episode.
kinghumanity

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 4:25 pm Reply with quote
It looks like even in the rare case where giftia become wanderers, they seem harmless UNTIL triggered by their memories. Is this what Isla meant by memories being painful?

There are certainly discussions and criticisms towards this episode, some legitimate, some not so much.

-Why don't they retrieve giftias months in advance instead of at the last minute?

Imagine you have a terminally ill family member. You wouldn't kill him or her "months in advance" for convenience sake, right? You want to spend as much time with them as possible. Also, as explained, wanderers are very rare.

-What could black market retrievers possibly do with giftias?

Imagine the sensitive information that could be extracted. Stealing bank passwords, blackmail material, off the top of my head. Also, if the lifetime of a giftia is limited by software and not hardware, black marketers could reuse or re-sell the giftias for themselves.

-Why does society let giftias parent kids?

It's certainly a top worthy of debate. If you don't know, the rate of physical, mental, and sexual abuse among foster children is staggering. Since giftias seem to love and are loved in this society, it's definitely better than foster care IMO.

-How did Souta get there?

I agree this is an oversight. Power of the plot?

All in all, I think Plastic Memories was intended to be a drama series about our two leads, rather than a philosophical show about sci-fi and AI ethics. If you look at it from that point of view, it's doing a pretty good job so far while still stirring up debate.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Souta's presence (and voice) was obviously the catalyst to Marcia's rampage.

Nope. Isla and Tsukasa found the black marketeer beaten up which was before Souta was on the scene. The strong implication was that Marcia was already a Wanderer by that point.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, these lyrics seem like this should have been the OP song:

If you turn me into a cyborg,
Install a self-destruct device as an option.
If I can't protect you,
Living has no meaning at all to me.
Even if I had my erased memories back
I wouldn't remember the two of us.
That's my one-sided and self-destructive love!
I am still young,
But willing to exchange my life for yours.
I'll become your hero.
If you are kidnapped by villains,
You can upgrade me as you please.

"Katte ni Kaizou Shitemoiize" by Ichiro Mizuki and Tokusatsu, from Katte ni Kaizou.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 7:42 am Reply with quote
Wanderers do seem to react spoiler[most violently in regards to the ones most important to them], they seem to spoiler[confuse protection with harm]. I actually thought the spoiler[whole rampage thing] was well done in why spoiler[retrieval is so important]. For why she may spoiler[have started rampaging early, perhaps the guy unwittingly tried to alter her memories, and that seems to set them off].

And I really would not be surprised if their was some spoiler[group trying to weaponize Giftia, and they brought the kid there as part of the test to see how a Wanderer reacts to specific stimulus].
Yamstarch

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 9:45 am Reply with quote
Too many feels in this series. not sure if I can handle what looks like a sad ending eventually.

I don't do well with the sad.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 11:05 am Reply with quote
It looks like not only me this time who sees how sloppy the project is; authors are throwing random nonsense at viewers and hope that they would eat it all without questioning. There is not thought behind the inconsistencies here, it is useless to try to make sense of it.
fizix

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Here are my thoughts on the series so far and a theory on Giftias:
http://www.almostmainstream.net/articles/anime/plastic-memories-impressions-analysis-and-predictions-episodes-1-5/

Basically, I have to question what Giftia are and I'm curious as to how close to humans they are. I don't believe they are androids as we'd normally expect, probably not even androids at all. I think there is a possibility that they might be humans with some kind of "enhancements".
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Episode 6:

Well, spoiler[I'm glad to see Isla doing better now after what happened last time.]

Silly episode though, especially with some spoiler[minor misunderstandings regarding "love". It doesn't surprise me about Tsukasa's decision to stay with Isla even after finding out about her life span though. That's the type of selfless person he is.]

Kinda curious to see how their relationship will go from here.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 7 of 12