• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: SGT Frog Invades ADVFilms.com

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hikaru393

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:55 pm Reply with quote
awsome this show looks pretty cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ganami

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:36 pm Reply with quote
I was waiting for Keroro Gunso to hit the US. I'm surpised that bandai let it go. But I'm glade ADV got it, they should do a good job on the Dub, hopefully.
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:40 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Emerje wrote:
I was really hoping Bandai would get it.

I wonder why they didn't. Having Bandai licensed it would save a lot of trouble, for Keroro Gunso is produced by Sunrise and full of Gundam in-jokes.

If Bandai got it, there wouldn't be any sort of liner notes or on disc reference notes.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 6:23 pm Reply with quote
that was funny! can't wait to see the dub.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
freshkazuki

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Wow, so ADV can finally boast of an A-list anime license coup....oh, I guess they can't. To me, the ADV library has just been terrible lately. It's been a long time since they have released anything good. Back in the good old days, they seemed to be the major player and I liked a lot of their shows, but they're washed up now. I mean, name me the last GREAT show they've released. Elfen Lied is the only thing that comes to my mind and that's over a year old. As long as they keep their manga releases coming.....whoops, nevermind. Why don't they get that freaking frog to update their manga site!!!!!!! Who did they bribe to be voted best anime company? They should just keep on cranking out their yearly Evangelion rererererererereleases whose relevance was destroyed by Rahxephon. Does anybody remember that live action movie??? The real meat is being put out by Bandai, Funimation, and Geneon. Even a smaller player like Right Stuff puts out better shows like Boys Be and Piano. And how about their self congratulating magazine Newtype which managed to up its price about 35% while reducing content. What a sad company of losers in decline.
Ryusui

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Duo Maxwell wrote:
That was pretty awesome. Almost as awesome as a toasted sub. And everyone loves toasted subs, so who can say no to this?!...Well, stingy people like myself, but I love Keroro! I wonder when he comes to t.v.

I have discovered that a Fresh Toasted Subway Sweet Onion Chicken Teriyaki with cheese is the sandwich equivalent of a Pan-Galactic Gargle Blaster mixed with Suudsu. Puuuuure genius...*head explodes*
Ranmah

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Yeah they finally got Kerero Gunsu (sgt. frog).

It's about freaking time. They better not butcher it and only do the subtitles.

"KUKUKU"
(|@_@|)

Last edited by Ranmah on Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:35 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ryvius213

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Sweet! ALL HAIL KERORO! I also hope that ADV will include explanations for the jokes.

Last edited by Ryvius213 on Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:37 pm; edited 2 times in total
MeggieMay

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:26 pm Reply with quote
For those who didn't know this - ADV site had been down since Saturday. It had said it was under reconstruction but I never saw anyone mention it. I looked around several message boards but never saw a thing (I'd been trying to get into the site off and on all week with no luck).

It's nice to see Sgt Frog is now out of licencing limbo Smile. I do have to figure out how to get into the rest of the ADV site, if it's up. And it does look like part of it is back up because my direct link (via browser history) to the November Club newsletter just came up (which is what I've been trying to get into all week - I needed to see if going to my anime club meeting in two weeks to watch this months preview would be worth driving home at night or not).
biliano

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Anime on DVD just reported a February solicitation for Sgt. Frog:

Anime on DVD (thru Diamond Previews) wrote:
The latest order form from Diamond Previews has surfaced and it provides a listing for the first volume of Sgt. Frog. The listing would indicate approximately a February release. Also listed alongside that title was a solicitation for Le Chevalier D'Eon Vol. #1 and Air Gear Vol. #1 which would likely hit the same month.

Pretty quick annnouncement if you ask me. Heck, I'm buying it simply because it's a Junichi Sato-directed show, and I'm a big fan of his work (namely, Princess Tutu and Kaleido Star, two great shows that ADV released this year). Now all we need is for the two ARIA series to receive a R1 license soon. Wink
Riyousha

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:04 pm Reply with quote

That's amazing. Frogs from outer space are taking over. Does this mean that it'll be in the U.S.?

You know, from watching the site get invaded, it reminds me of those prank flashes where there's a certain picture that won't disturb you. then something strange happens, mostly a scary face will pop-up at you and screams or roars (but this is not really a screamer thank goodness).

I bet ADV Films is licensing the show.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Glad to hear it. I'm sure ADV will do a fine job with it, seeing as they mostly do a fine job with all of their licenses. Naming it Sgt. Keroro and not "Frog Warrior Chronicles" is a start, at least.

I've never watched it, and I've heard many good things about it, and it's directed by Yusuke Yamamoto who's handling NHK quite well, so that's high motivation for me to buy a DVD or ten.

Riyousha wrote:
I bet ADV Films is licensing the show.

No, Geneon just acquired it, and ADV is putting this Keroro-Gunsou prank on their website to help their rival make a few extra bucks.

I hope everyone knows I'm being sarcastic.
Whearn9999

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Am I the only person that is wondering why they don't have a link to their online store? You know; a significant source of income? Strange... Confused
MeggieMay

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Whearn9999 wrote:
Am I the only person that is wondering why they don't have a link to their online store? You know; a significant source of income? Strange... Confused

I think the page has a coding glitch and it is only suppose to show the "hack" and kick you to the main page. Why, because if you go
http://www.advfilms.com/index.asp you get the main page - not Frog dance Smile. I discovered this by going back into the site after I read the PDF, btw Cool

Anyway, the store can be reached here

http://www.advfilms.com/CATALOGFilms.asp?Cat=A
Nagisa

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Ryvius213 wrote:
Sweet! ALL HAIL KERORO! I also hope that ADV will include explanations for the jokes.

They will, but their explanations will be horrifically incorrect. Excel Saga's Vid Notes had me cringing, as I don't remember them actually getting a single Gundam reference right. In the Matsumoto parody episode with the Puchu White Base, they not only got every crew member's name mixed up (Frau is Sayla, Sayla is Mirai, that sort of thing), but I think they even described it as being from "Gundam Wing," if I recall (I know they did that at some point in the series, just not sure if it's during the White Base parody or not).

I dread this release. I really do.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6