• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: SGT Frog Invades ADVFilms.com

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:49 am Reply with quote
According to Tiffany Grant, who is writing the ADR scripts for the series, they happen to have a number of major Gundam otaku working for ADV, and they'll be looking things over for those elusive references. Maybe these people weren't there 3-4 years ago or whenever ADV did Excel Saga. At 132+ episodes, I think Sgt. Frog is certainly the longest series ADV's ever done, and sadly, it's a bit too long for me, so I'll wish them the best and not DL anything from it. According to this interview, they have all the makings of another major-hit "flagship" title, so maybe now they have something else to make money on now that they've indefinitely given up on another Evangelion re-release.
Ranmah

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:38 pm Reply with quote
I try and watch Sgt. Keroro every friday on TV Tokyo at 5:25pm (JST).

I am tempted to buy the Region 3 series.

kukukuku
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:47 pm Reply with quote
Considering "keroro" does not translate to "frog," that really can't be the case.
That's what I get for trusting my teen that kero means frog. Unless you mean the extra "ro" in which case, would you prefer "froggie" "Froggo" "frogogo" or "frogbo"? Sgt Frog sounds more like a comedy title. "Keroro Gunso" would probably lose all but the purists while Sgt Kerero somehow brings to mind stuff like Sgt Bilko.

The only things I'm worried about, besides the name, is the voices. I usually watch my dvds with the japanese dialogue on, but that's because the english voices don't match the characters, and it sucks to listen to that

Yeah, it has a killer VA cast in Japanese, but to mass market it, it needs to be in English. There's a pretty rabid following for ADV's Saiyuki cast even though Geneon's is closer in pitch to the Japanese VA's. If you're that stuck on the Japanese cast, watch it subtitled. I know Takehito Koyasu, Joji Nakata & Takeshi Kusao are great as is the lead (I know who she plays, forget her name-it's Shippo). The local bootleg shop's been insisting they'd never license it because the voices are too perfect in Japanese. If it means getting our frogs on TV & exposure to a larger audience, I'm game.

Or it will make them say, "What is this? Some stupid Japanese take on the muppets in anime form?" Then they walk on by. Seriously, I doubt that TP has sold many (if any) manga based soley on the title being Sgt. Frog.
The local Bootleg shop cleared out his Keroro Gunso dvds because no one was buying them. On the other hand, he gets in scads of Keroro Gunso toys which he says sell very well to people who have no idea whatsoever about the show-they think the frogs are cute. I have a couple plushies, a set of plastic figures, a couple with light-up heads, some others with squeeky heads, some charms..he seems to get in new frog stuff evey month.
They do when that's where a very large percentage of a show's comedy comes from. The whole point of Keroro Gunsou was to be a nudge-nudge-wink-wink kinda series from Bandai to their fans, poking fun at themselves while at the same time concocting a whole new marketing scheme in the way of mass amounts of KeroKero merchandise.

It's about a bunch if frogs invading earth, the invasion being botched & the frogs having to scatter to await new direction with their leader getting distracted by building gundam models. It would be JUST as funny if he were distracted by some other inane hobby (like all of Il Palazzo's little distractions in Excel Saga), It's not near as ref-laden as other parody titles like Excel Saga & Comic Party (or if it is, I'm blissfully unaware & still find it funny). One of the funniest jokes for my money is the forgotten partner. And their little chanting is cute. And Kururu tormenting Giroro is great. I loved the ep where everyone tried to reign in Kururu & failed until Moa beat him. Their making their own anime was cute.
aresgoddess

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:43 am Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:

The only things I'm worried about, besides the name, is the voices. I usually watch my dvds with the japanese dialogue on, but that's because the english voices don't match the characters, and it sucks to listen to that

Yeah, it has a killer VA cast in Japanese, but to mass market it, it needs to be in English. There's a pretty rabid following for ADV's Saiyuki cast even though Geneon's is closer in pitch to the Japanese VA's. If you're that stuck on the Japanese cast, watch it subtitled.

Uh....yeah, I always watch the subtitled version. Kind of what I meant by "I usually watch my dvds with the Japanese dialogue on..." Anime smile I can understand a bit of Japanese, but no where near enough to understand without subtitles. Though i watched an unsubbed episode the other day, and I actually understood a good chunk of what was going on. I was all sorts of proud! Very Happy
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:48 am Reply with quote
Wow, we've been monitored again. Shocked

I've personally added links to ANN at other forums or blogs, but full text translations... I dunno. I failed to see why they often do this in Japanese blogs.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 3:00 am Reply with quote
I told my sister that this series is coming to the US, and she said she would like DVDs in the house as soon as they come out Shocked I had no idea she was totally into Keroro Gunsou.
animedj2006

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:26 am Reply with quote
keroro doesn't mean frog of froggie, i'm fairly sure it means "ribbit" which is why he is always going kerokerokero. and have they announced anything else about it. like a voice actor for any of them, a release date, anything?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6