• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Japanese Comedy: Who Gets It?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 4:22 am Reply with quote
I know there's jokes in some anime that I'm not getting. Which is why I prefer the company that releases it/fansub that subs it to include translator notes and/or cultural notes. So if I don't know the joke or what it's refering to I will at least learn something from it. Smile Most of the time I really enjoy watching comedy anime, since it is one of my favorite genres. And I'd say I get about 70-90% of what is going on with most comedy anime...
Animefreak6969

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 4:26 am Reply with quote
ya, i like it when they put cultural notes so i can know what it means, like for Pani Poni Dash, where they could've just left the note clip down because they popped so many up anyway and had to sub EVERY little thing on the screen
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
hayakunero

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 5:03 am Reply with quote
Zoe wrote:
hayakunero wrote:
"Nandedaro" isn't Osaka-ben. Did they really say "Nandedaro"? If it had been Osaka comedy, they must have said "Nandeyanen." What show did you see?

Regardless of what was actually said, the joke is always the one guy slapping/berating the clueless guy, right?

???
That means the joke has nothing to do with Osaka-ben? Then what Cloe-san doesn't get isn't the whole Osaka-ben humor thing. Question

By the way, my friedns always laugh when I sing a theme song of my favorite parody anime Keroro Gunsou.

Eki kara 5funwa jitsuwa 15fun. Laughing
Zoe

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:35 pm Reply with quote
hayakunero wrote:
Zoe wrote:
hayakunero wrote:
"Nandedaro" isn't Osaka-ben. Did they really say "Nandedaro"? If it had been Osaka comedy, they must have said "Nandeyanen." What show did you see?

Regardless of what was actually said, the joke is always the one guy slapping/berating the clueless guy, right?

???
That means the joke has nothing to do with Osaka-ben? Then what Cloe-san doesn't get isn't the whole Osaka-ben humor thing. Question

While I think comedians from Osaka use it the most, I could have sworn I've seen others use that humor.

Edit: The style is called "manzai."
hayakunero

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:48 am Reply with quote
I've seen that humour??? so many times so I don't care who uses it.
Who ( japanese comedians) do you like ? Do you like Akashiya Samma? He is a great comedian and speaks Kansai-ben. Laughing I like Black Mayonaise. They speak kansai-ben too.
Lorraine_Kristine

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:08 am Reply with quote
I think that their humor, so far, as I've seen, is just stupid replies...

very idiotic replies... Laughing

And the way they over exaggerate the movements, like teh classic anime fall, sweatdrop, nose bleed, squiggly eyes, very huge bump on the head, very big heads, SD forms... Smile
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:
For example, Negi, in Negima, also means "wild onion", so there are occasional jokes or scenes that involve the use of that pun. Ichigo in Bleach's name means "first", because it uses the kanji for "ichi" (1), and "go" (counting particle as in "first, second third), but it can also be translated as "strawberry" (different kanji though), something that is referenced at least a couple of times in the series in a comical fashion.

You're half right....

Kurosaki Ichigo's name is written: 黒崎一護

The family name, Kurosaki, is straightforward enough, 黒崎. It means "black peninsula" or "black cape" (in the sense of a spit of land sticking out into the sea, not in the sense of a Superman-style cape). It's not an uncommon family name.

His personal name, Ichigo, 一護, is composed of the kanji for "(numeral) one", and the kanji for "safeguard" or "protect". So, if you want to read meaning into it, it means "first protector".

There are several words that are homonyms with this. As you correctly pointed out, ichigo (written with just one kanji, as 苺) can mean "strawberry". But ichigo written with the kanji 一個 can also mean "one unit" or "first unit" in the sense of counting things (especially round or boxy items) or military units. However, in this sense it usually does not occur as a name. So you were mistaken about this being the reading of Ichigo's name. Even so, this is part of the rather complex pun.

Several times in the Bleach manga, and at least once in the anime, the minor character Madarame Ikkaku points out that he and Ichigo share a kinship of sorts, by virtue of both their names containing the kanji for the numeral 1.

It's a pun. It's not a terribly funny one, even in Japanese.

They missed a number of obvious alternate puns, by the way -- all of this being intimately connected with the spirit world and life after death, the kanji 瑚 (on-yomi reading ko, go, meaning "a receptacle in which one places offerings to departed ancestors") might have made for a good pun.

Who knows, that may still crop up, down the line. It's not like Bleach is likely to stop any time soon, being a quintessentially endless shounen title.

Zoe wrote:

Manzai is already in the Lexicon, you know.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:48 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
They missed a number of obvious alternate puns, by the way -- all of this being intimately connected with the spirit world and life after death, the kanji 瑚 (on-yomi reading ko, go, meaning "a receptacle in which one places offerings to departed ancestors") might have made for a good pun.

Good heavens, that's its much more obscure and ancient meaning of that kanji character. Specifically, it's a receptacle for sorghum (Sorghum vulgare) in summer rites. The much more common use of 瑚 today is in sango (珊瑚), which means "coral", and Inuyasha fans should be quite familiar with that phrase.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:52 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Good heavens, that's its much more obscure and ancient meaning of that kanji character.

Well, since when was obscurity a problem when punning?

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SmashRackets4Fun

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 5:19 pm Reply with quote
I just wanna say that Asians HATE sarcasm. even in every day situation for laughs and giggles, they take it as a sign of disrespect and lack of seriousness. if you act sarcastic with your parents... ouch, dont... i have, not fun they dont get it.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 7:57 pm Reply with quote
SmashRackets4Fun wrote:
I just wanna say that Asians HATE sarcasm. even in every day situation for laughs and giggles, they take it as a sign of disrespect and lack of seriousness.

Hmm, you have set up a nice trap for a no-win situation. We can't just sit and watch and let such over-generalizing and discriminative speech be spread, but if we object and protest your opinion then you'd call us "sarcasm haters." Rolling Eyes

This is quite low. Seriously.

SmashRackets4Fun wrote:
if you act sarcastic with your parents... ouch, don't... i have, not fun they don't get it.

You have no idea how fun the conversation between my family members could be.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:32 pm Reply with quote
I'm sarcastic with my parents all the time. With Lao being a tonal languange, I make a lot of silly word jokes to mess with them and they always laugh about it. Heck, they even started using some after a while.
Lorraine_Kristine

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:05 am Reply with quote
SmashRackets4Fun wrote:
I just wanna say that Asians HATE sarcasm. even in every day situation for laughs and giggles, they take it as a sign of disrespect and lack of seriousness. if you act sarcastic with your parents... ouch, don't... i have, not fun they don't get it.

Uhm, this is true... BUT NOT ALL, dont generalize...We aren't made the same Cool

If ASIANS DO HATE SARCASM, then why did japanese manga-ka/anime creators, include it as their jokes? If they hated it that much?
Zoe

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:21 am Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
Zoe wrote:

Manzai is already in the Lexicon, you know.

Sorry, can't say I ever visit that part of the site.

Anyway, the Wiki provides more depth for those who are interested.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:23 am Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure Japanese people don't hate all sarcasm. I've seen it in anime--like when Psyren (Siren? How do they spell her name...?) calls Ed "Ochibi-chan"--which (loosely) translates into something like "Sacred cute little thing" ('sacred' because the 'O' is normally used in front of something considered to be particularly important to the Japanese...everything from their gods, to...sushi and sake.). I'm pretty sure she wasn't using it seriously...Anime hyper
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4