• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Unexploded 1-Ton Bomb Found Near Osaka's Otaroad

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darstorm-Sandude

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:03 pm Reply with quote
[EDIT: Troll comments deleted. -TK]
Somer-_-

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:10 pm Reply with quote
An ancient relic. Hope it's not live but I don't know how bombs work.
Madoka...AYUKAWA!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:13 pm Reply with quote
and what the hell is wrong mention wwii, relevant or not?
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Think of the damage that would've caused if it exploded right there, I'm glad it was removed. You never know I've heard stores of collectors having cannonballs that are 200+ years old and they accidentally drop or roll into the fireplace and blew part of their house up, scary antiquities.
shiranehito

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Mmh, actually the article never said that the bomb was a leftover from WWII, so I have the same sentiments with the first commenter (except for that unnecessary bigotry. I know it was meant for a joke, but still.)

At first I thought someone's planning on terrorism from the headline alone.
infamoustakai

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Holy crap, over 60 years later and still live. That's crazy. Thank goodness they found it before anyone got hurt.

I don't know, I feel like they should safely disarm it and put it in a museum. But maybe that's too grim of a reminder of what happened all those years ago.
the-antihero

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Wow, that's a long time.
sailorsweeper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I don't know, I feel like they should safely disarm it and put it in a museum. But maybe that's too grim of a reminder of what happened all those years ago.

I would say that it would be too grim since it isn't something Japan really likes to think about.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:38 pm Reply with quote
So The Interview's finally been released in Japan, huh? Laughing
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:38 pm Reply with quote
shiranehito wrote:
Mmh, actually the article never said that the bomb was a leftover from WWII, so I have the same sentiments with the first commenter

You're wrong. The article said that it was American made, and it also gave the dimensions and the approximate weight of the bomb. It then talked about WW2 in order to give context as to when the bomb fell.

It's an American bomb dropped on Osaka in WW2. Therefore WW2 is absolutely relevant to this news story, and it was important to mention it so that people didn't think this was a terrorist bomb that was found.

And as Madoka...AYUKAWA! asked, what is wrong with mentioning WW2 in the first place? I mean, what's your beef with WW2? Are you and the OP revisionists who want to pretend that the entire Japanese involvement in the war never happened? Or do you instead want to pretend that America never bombed Japanese cities?

What's the deal, eh? Eh?
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:43 pm Reply with quote
I'm just grateful that the bomb didn't explode upon discovery. Anime smile + sweatdrop
AnimeAddict2014

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:56 pm Reply with quote
i guess we have stuffs left over around the world...

1 ton bomb?.. what's the radius if that thing goes off?..

this is scary..
Dfens

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:06 am Reply with quote
As others have said it was already stated that it's American made and by the dimensions and weight no way could it have been planted by terrorists.

It's definitely left over ordnance from WWII, also given the fact it was found underground that it wasn't discovered until now during recent construction of the area.

The article also states that it's still their while they decide best how to dispose of it.

Usually they would detonate it in place rather than risk transporting it but they likely won't do that due to the size and amount of explosives involved. It would do too much damage to the surrounding area and multiple lives would be at risk. They are going to have to move it to some unpopulated area and either bury it forever or detonate it where it will do no harm or damage.

Something similar to this happened many years ago in Germany.

As for disarming it, that would be to risky due to the age to make it inert for a museum show piece. Best to get rid of it and be done with it.
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:51 am Reply with quote
The title itself gave me an idea that this would be an active bomb from WWII. I obviously missed or don't remember however that we bombed Osaka before the war's end. Live ordinance though is found quite often, and thankfully this one did not go off, which could have had tragic results. Mentioning the facts about WWII was indeed relevant in my opinion, because it confirmed my suspicions about the era of the bomb.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:54 am Reply with quote
infamoustakai wrote:
Holy crap, over 60 years later and still live. That's crazy. Thank goodness they found it before anyone got hurt.

No it's not crazy. Live ordenance from WWI is still found in the fields in eastern France. We're almost a century past WWI and yet explosives are still found. Even from WW2, bombs are still found. Some 4 or 5 years ago an american unexploded bomb (from an air raid) was found in Milan. The authorities had to evacuate a whole nuimber of city blocks before detonanting it. You can't just move those things. Too dangerous.
But yeah, the legacy of WWI and WWII is still we us. So no suprise they find old time unexploded US bombs in Japan.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3