• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Damn Yankiis

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:08 pm Reply with quote
I hate to say it, but I don't think that delinquent anime is for me. Maybe I need to try more titles, but I just could not get into Shonan Junai Gumi no matter how many times I tried. GTO has always had a special place in my heart and I was determined to enjoy its predecessor, but it just never stopped being a slog for me to read through. In theory, the early exploits of Oni-Baku coasting through high school while bashing skulls, hopelessly trying to get laid, and unabashedly rocking the yankii style seemed like a hoot. But despite being billed as a comedy, THOSE elements were rarely played for laughs. I got about halfway through the series, and while I did start to see signs of GTO's great sense of humour cultivating in the writing, I was still always expected to appreciate the power struggles between greasy-haired high school gangs with absolute sincerity. I couldn't do it.

I gave the series multiple chances (probably because I was trying to justify my blind purchases), but it just wouldn't give me that dose of irony I needed to swallow it. Finally gave up at about volume 8 of Tokyopop's wideban release. I've heard good things about Bad Company though - I wonder if I would enjoy that any better?
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:21 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to guess the reason the yankii thing died out-at least in entertainment form-is because the whiny otaku hijacked anime and manga, and it became all about them. That, and the fujoshi made manime impossible to take seriously, 'cus they'll find some way to ship the characters. Though maybe the genre could make a comeback through My Love Story. The lead character looks more like a salaryman than a yankii, but he still fits the 'tough guy' archetype so prevalent in anime and manga.
stefand

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:02 am Reply with quote
Nobody mentioning bakuon rettou

Its a fantastic manga to understand bosozoku gangs.
That manga takes them really serious.

[EDIT: This post is being allowed with a link to a site which indexes scanlators removed. - Key]
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:21 am Reply with quote
zztop wrote:

What caused the shrinking of the Yankee movement? Tougher government laws? Increasing social unacceptance? Or just the usual coming and going of a fad?

Japanese teens dress differently from usual for graduation; people freak out, call police Laughing

Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2