• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Fans Pick Neon Genesis Evangelion For Best Background Music

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
meepsheeps

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:06 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Blue Spring Ride kinda made me laugh since the music in that was pretty forgettable/unnoticeable.

It's not forgettable. I loved it and it was one of the strongest aspects of the show. I can sing most of the OST tracks lol.

Will definitely agree with most of this list.
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:30 am Reply with quote
FMA and Eureka 7 would definitely be on my top 10 list. I would even say Key's Air (maybe Kanon). It's been awhile, but I did have a lot of favs from, at least, Air's soundtracks. They're so pleasant to listen to.
That Samurai

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:38 am Reply with quote
My favorite anime soundtracks are Bleach, Cowboy Bebop, FLCL, Samurai Champloo, One Piece, FMA Brotherhood and Ghost in the Shell.
YumeHunter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:51 am Reply with quote
One of my favorite OST is probably the OST of Pandora Hearts.
MajorZero

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:19 am Reply with quote
Seeing how Hiroyuki Sawano made it to the top 10 makes me sick. His OSTs are virtually indistinguishable from one another, severely lack thematic material or intelligent tricks with arrangement to mask it.

On the other hand I'm glad for Shiro Sagisu, his music maybe not complex, but he wrote a lot of memorable melodies during his career. Still, not giving first place to Joe Hisaishi is a crime. Then again, people praise crap from Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross to the death, so, it's not that surprising that real quality music got sidelined.

Uh, Naoki Sato nowhere to be seen. Shame, he's one of the most talented composers Japan has.
robertbaldie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:49 am Reply with quote
Would love to know some more specifics about this poll. Like where was it conducted? etc.
Souther

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:56 am Reply with quote
I love Fist's music, but it's the last thing I expected to be on that list. What's more surprising's that Unicorn didn't make top 10, or anything Gundam related for that fact.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:59 am Reply with quote
Fairy Tail is one of my favorites. That show has some real fist pumping, butt kicking songs in it. I never get tired of Fairy Tail's OST.
PmChivas

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:44 am Reply with quote
The lack of RahXephon or The Twelve Kingdoms not even being given a honorable mention hurts. Heck, the absolute lack of Yoko Kano makes me wanna cry. Anime cry

My Fave:

1. The Twelve Kingdoms
2. Vision of Escaflowne
3. RahXephon
4. Revolutionary Girl Utena
5. Sailor Moon

Last edited by PmChivas on Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Darkabomination

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:04 am Reply with quote
Why Sailor Moon didn't get on here is incomprehensible. You can't talk about the likes of DB and FoTNS without Moon. The opening and ending themes for every season much of the comedic and romantic pieces, the complex jazz arrangements with backing orchestras, the transformation music alone is both iconic and badass.
And on purely electronica terms, Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt is a excellently produced soundtrack.
Chalk Evangellion getting all the Gainax music love to overrated popularity.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:30 am Reply with quote
Darkabomination wrote:
Why Sailor Moon didn't get on here is incomprehensible. You can't talk about the likes of DB and FoTNS without Moon. The opening and ending themes for every season much of the comedic and romantic pieces, the complex jazz arrangements with backing orchestras, the transformation music alone is both iconic and badass.

Never really noticed Sailor Moon's BGM, except for the jazz-violin of the Outer Sailors appearances in the S series. I'd put it on the list for that, but can't remember much else.

Now, as how the full-orchestra score adding to the frilly Clamp excess of Card Captor Sakura not getting any mention, that's just criminal.
Carlooo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:34 am Reply with quote
Penguindrum's score was the first that came to mind. Someone mentioned FLCL, I also really like that one.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Evangelion... REALLY? I mean the music I heard was good, but there were only 2 or 3 good tracks that WEREN'T classical songs.
ArthurFrDent

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:19 pm Reply with quote
I prolly listen to Kanno's stuff way more than any other... like somebody's stories or images or even sense of humor - you just like their stuff, regardless. Tho I agree sometimes her stuff is a bit over-rated...

I would say that her music I can often listen to without having seen the show, essentially as a standalone, where others, if the show itself is affecting enough, then I like the music as a reminder of what I have seen.

Also, yes with RahXephon OST. Though I have to be in the mood, it is very good at capturing mood, IMHO. I like it more, because I've seen the show tho.

here's my list, tho it's just me... no order, and in retrospect, dunno what's considered OST by everyone - some shows have so much music, that OST blends into individual songs, and sometimes I like the insert songs better than the OST.

Arjuna [have never seen it, but I like the music a ton.]
GITS SAC
Samurai Champloo I
RahXephon
FLCL I, II
BeBop Tank!
Macross+ Cream PUF [Information High is fave, Not technically an OST]
Girls Dead Monster [Angel Beats, prolly not considered OST]
Appleseed [Both disks, modern version]

Also? Would love to have MacrossF

ETA, forgot to mention Last Exile. The music makes more sense having seen it, but on it's own is pretty interesting. the OST came with the first disc I got.
Miyanoai

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:25 pm Reply with quote
I was actually pleasantly surprised to see Detective Conan in that list. I only know the old sound track but it's still a classic to me. Also loved AoT as well but I love most if Hiroyuki Sawano's OSTs. It's a shame Naoki Sato didn't make it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3