• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Fans Pick Neon Genesis Evangelion For Best Background Music

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:30 pm Reply with quote
I think NGE has a great soundtrack, but I had no idea that many people voted it as #1. I'm really surprised that all the shows in the top 10 are pretty much from the 80's and 90's. I would've thought we'd see more shows from the past 7-8 years. Also, very surprised Yoko Kanno (especially) and Hiroyuki Sawano didn't break the top 10.

ArthurFrDent wrote:
Also, yes with RahXephon OST. Though I have to be in the mood, it is very good at capturing mood, IMHO. I like it more, because I've seen the show tho.

Me three, RahXephon had excellent music.
Miyanoai

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:38 pm Reply with quote
CoreSignal wrote:
I think NGE has a great soundtrack, but I had no idea that many people voted it as #1. I'm really surprised that all the shows in the top 10 are pretty much from the 80's and 90's. I would've thought we'd see more shows from the past 7-8 years. Also, very surprised Yoko Kanno (especially) and Hiroyuki Sawano didn't break the top 10.

Attack on Titan was Hiroyuki Sawano.
meepsheeps

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:39 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Evangelion... REALLY? I mean the music I heard was good, but there were only 2 or 3 good tracks that WEREN'T classical songs.

Not really.
bolekb

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:06 pm Reply with quote
I listen almost exclusively to anime BGMs during my long car trips. Some of the albums/collections that tend not to get boring even after a long time are: Kanon (though not very suitable for night trips), Full Metal Panic, Monogatari series (I let repeat the "Kyoudai" track very often, one of the best!) and Cross Game (very nice BGM, although no official CD has been published).

But my top favourite BGMs come from games that were practically defined by background sounds and music: Higurashi no Naku Koro ni and Umineko no Naku Koro ni.
jeromeskee

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:12 pm Reply with quote
I'm happy that Fist of The North Star even made the list, mainly because it's considered a classic but it doesn't have the mainstream success of some of the other shows on the list. The music really made the show. How can you not love the intro song? Nozomi Aoki did a masterful job with the show's musical score.

If you still have yet to see the first Fist of The North Star TV series, then I highly recommend doing so. It's an absolute anime gem, and it gets better and better as the series progresses towards its climactic finale.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:09 pm Reply with quote
Eva's music was fairly good, but yeah, no way. What I am surprised at is that One Piece didn't rank on here: not that I think its score is greatest-of-all-time material, but given its massive popularity you'd think that it'd get in there somewhere.
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:07 am Reply with quote
Miyanoai wrote:
Attack on Titan was Hiroyuki Sawano.

whoops, for some reason, I thought AoT was Kenji Kawai.

jeromeskee wrote:
I'm happy that Fist of The North Star even made the list, mainly because it's considered a classic but it doesn't have the mainstream success of some of the other shows on the list.

FotNS was one of the surprises in this poll. I'm curious as to the age group of the fans voting, since this show came out before the majority of today's anime fans were born, lol.
Deadwing

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:36 am Reply with quote
Not too surprised about NGE making #1. Shiro Sagisu composed a lot of excellent tracks for the score of that. Whether it's "Angel Attack," "The Beast," "Misato," or "Decisive Battle," most of the music in the show is instantly recognizable. I haven't watched the original Eva in several years, but the songs still stick in my head from time to time. While maybe not the most technically complex music, it is incredibly catchy and memorable as well as diverse, ranging from quirky to melancholy to menacing to exciting.

But I will agree with others that the lack of Yoko Kanno is disturbing. I mean, come on. Cowboy Bebop should be a no-brainer, and even Escaflowne had a great OST ("Dance of Curse" anyone?). Yuki Kajiura's soundtrack for .hack//SIGN was fairly memorable as well.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:06 am Reply with quote
Deadwing wrote:
"Decisive Battle,"

I liked "Decisive Battle" better when it was called "007".

Heh. Shiro Sagisu is obviously a Jon Barry fan. I know I am!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Desa

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:20 pm Reply with quote
I haven't heard the original Dragonball score, but I think the score for the original NA dub of DBZ was nothing short of a masterpiece. It sounded way more intense than the japanese soundtrack which at most times sounded a bit too "jokey" or campy.. The voices themselves were also perfect especially Vegeta, Piccolo, Krillin, young Gohan, and Bulma. Goku not sounding like an old woman made him a bazillion times more tolerable to listen to as well but I digress.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3