• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: This UFO Catcher Game Is Totally Rigged

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Juno016

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:53 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Is that even legal to modify a UFO catcher to do such a thing?

It's not that it was modified. Someone just put these either in the wrong machine or didn't set the machine's setting to "low reach". Boxes of figures and such at game centers are regulated by size, and machines are regulated to high, medium, and low reach settings according to the set variety of product sizes. I once tried getting one with a plastic handle taped to it and the handle's tape was loose, so the figure just wouldn't budge, no matter how properly I directed the crane. I called a worker over and he the problem, fixed the tape, and pulled the box to the very, very edge so it would only take one try to finish tge job. I only spent 200 yen at that point, and I told him that, but he was insistant that the mistake was theirs and I wasn't about to argue.

Quote:
It's amazing how the venders I buy from win these in mass

Most figures in game centers are in machines that are guaranteed eventual winners. I can win some in 500 yen, some in 2000 or in between. If you've got skills and they're placed in an easy machine, you can even get them cheaper. It's not tooooooo hard, as long as you don't miss the box or plastic catcher completely.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2