Forum - View topic
Answerman - Endlessly Searching


Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
jr240483



Joined: 24 Dec 2005
Posts: 4143
Location: New York City,New York,USA
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

Actually there's still more of them around than you might think. Some (especially the ones that have become chains) have survived and even thrived by broadening their scopes to become all-purpose sex-related novelty shops. One local chain has expanded to seven locations in the Indianapolis metro area over the past few years, for instance.


and Media Blasters still have their Kitty Media brand. also it seems that Right Stuff is getting on the act as well by rescuing some of those CPM titles.

Also while its far from dead in the US,its not rampant like how it was back then.

However its still very much alive in Japan.BUT, there is a reason why japan is so chicken footed about licensing a boatload of hentai to the US. cause of their dumbass censor laws their govt placed while the US have the constitution .

while japaneese companies have to have their series censored, the minute it gets licensed in the US it will be 100% uncensored which will obviously entice the most hardcore hentai otakus over there to import them and not to bother with the statewise releases.

probably the reason why companies like Lilith/Pixy haven't released their series in the US and go ballistic with "copyright violation" & "cease and desist" letters against fansites that fansubbed and streamed them via torrents.

Quote:
The biggest hit in the CPM catalog by far was Grave of the Fireflies. Most of our catalog just did pretty good; hits like the Utena movie were just good sellers, not blow-the-doors-off blockbusters.


Really? what about project ako and record of loddos war considering their more well known in the US? Especially since ako was the first anime release i'm pretty sure it was very popular than utena or grave of the fireflies.the same with record since its the "god of fantasy anime series" long before Moribito,Bastard,Beserk and Scrapped Princess came to be.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
lem



Joined: 29 Sep 2007
Posts: 734
Location: Land of trying to figure sht out
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:02 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
Yes I know it was released on DVDs in the US back then. But now it is out of print (and I don't think no US companies has the license for the anime anymore) and as I said: trying to release the show on blu-rays today would be pointless because it wouldn't sell in the US (and it's not a mainstream/household anime titles in the US unlike Inuyasha and Ranma 1/2). So that's why streaming on Hulu, CR, Netflix, etc... will have to be the only option for that show (if the show ever get picked up in the future).


The legal streaming thing makes sense but I disagree that a release here would be "pointless"

certainly you can be of an opinion that it may or may not sell but at the end of the day you seriously don't have a f$##[email protected] clue about what will or won't sell in R1. In other words, as just another fan, you know as much as I do about it.

That said there's already a blu-ray release of UY. For the entire series, the OVA's and the Movies.

Maison Ikkoku is also available on blu. As is Yawara!

And Thanks to excellent work by TRSI and others like Discotek & Animesols, fans in R1 have seen some older titles made available on a disc for the first time here.

So who's to say whether or not UY will ever find its way to newer fans? For all we know those JP blu's may just sell well enough to be given consideration in another market.

Of course I will be double dipping and pre-ordering when it does. And no I don't expect it will happen by next week. But I'm in this for the long haul so I'm okay with any wait.

Just like I already have for so many other shows.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Alan45
Village Elder



Joined: 25 Aug 2010
Posts: 8997
Location: Virginia
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:10 pm Reply with quote
@mdo7

Oh, good, you mentioned DVD release on your prior post so I wasn't sure. You apparently didn't read my entire post as I said the license had expired and that I didn't think a Bluray release was likely.

Just for your information: Bolding a large portion of your post is akin to shouting. It doesn't make your argument stronger or your statement more authoritative.

I tend to agree with lem. Never say never. If you had asked before it happened, I would not have thought that Patlabor would have been released on Bluray. Come to think of it, both Patlabor and Urusei Yatsura are Oshii projects.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
mdo7



Joined: 23 May 2007
Posts: 5978
Location: Cypress, Texas, USA
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:30 pm Reply with quote
lem wrote:

The legal streaming thing makes sense but I disagree that a release here would be "pointless"

certainly you can be of an opinion that it may or may not sell but at the end of the day you seriously don't have a f$##[email protected] clue about what will or won't sell in R1. In other words, as just another fan, you know as much as I do about it.

That said there's already a blu-ray release of UY. For the entire series, the OVA's and the Movies.

Maison Ikkoku is also available on blu. As is Yawara!

And Thanks to excellent work by TRSI and others like Discotek & Animesols, fans in R1 have seen some older titles made available on a disc for the first time here.

So who's to say whether or not UY will ever find its way to newer fans? For all we know those JP blu's may just sell well enough to be given consideration in another market.

Of course I will be double dipping and pre-ordering when it does. And no I don't expect it will happen by next week. But I'm in this for the long haul so I'm okay with any wait.

Just like I already have for so many other shows.


I understand where you're coming from on this. But I want the show to be streamed on CR, Hulu, Netflix first to see how the market in the US is like for the show. If it gets enough positive reception and demand is high enough then you can release the blu-ray collection in the US. If you release the blu-ray in the US first without seeing the fanbases and the sales was low, that would be a bad idea. So that's why I want the show to be stream first, to see how many newcomers would find this show appealing, then a US companies can decide to release the blu-ray (for shows, OVAs, etc...).

Alan45 wrote:
@mdo7
Just for your information: Bolding a large portion of your post is akin to shouting. It doesn't make your argument stronger or your statement more authoritative.


Not to go off topic, but I use it all the time and nobody complain to me about it. As a matter of fact, people seem to understand me more and take my evidence seriously when I bold my sentences. I know this because I did it on other forum and nobody complain about it.


Last edited by mdo7 on Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
walw6pK4Alo



Joined: 12 Mar 2008
Posts: 9321
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:35 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
More accurately, it would suffer the same fate as Sailor Moon, another videotape-master show that was a disaster when cooked up to Blu-ray, but did survive very nicely in its own slightly color-tweaked resolution on DVD in the boxset era.


Under the assumption that it was going to at least sell, no it wouldn't be like Viz's Sailor Moon release because UY actually has a nice BD remaster already in existence.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
EricJ2



Joined: 01 Feb 2014
Posts: 4016
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:24 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:

I understand where you're coming from on this. But I want the show to be streamed on CR, Hulu, Netflix first to see how the market in the US is like for the show. If it gets enough positive reception and demand is high enough then you can release the blu-ray collection in the US. If you release the blu-ray in the US first without seeing the fanbases and the sales was low, that would be a bad idea. So that's why I want the show to be stream first, to see how many newcomers would find this show appealing, then a US companies can decide to release the blu-ray (for shows, OVAs, etc...).


Toei tried the streaming market to revive the near-200-ep.--and 70's, no less!--Fist of the North Star, Captain Harlock and Galaxy Express 999, and got new breakout audiences to rediscover them, but practically ignored the disk market, basically just dumping their streaming files onto a hard-disk set.

With older OOP series like UY and Maison, whatever audience they have sees them as series that have to be "rescued" from their previous companies (I'm wagering there are first-time audiences that want to see Maison just because it's so tantalizingly impossible to get hands on), which makes disk release a priority.
Anime fans, much more than mainstream fans, are conscious of the necessity of keeping "permanent records" in pristine condition, because we not only know The Inevitable can happen, we see it happen all the time. Confused
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
FLCLGainax



Joined: 10 May 2010
Posts: 651
Location: Land of the Free
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:39 pm Reply with quote
I'd imagine the chances of UY being re-licensed would be stronger if it already had a pre-existing English dub available of the whole series. Unfortunately, the only complete dub seems to be the Animax one.

Last edited by FLCLGainax on Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:48 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Fronzel



Joined: 11 Sep 2003
Posts: 1906
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:45 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
Alan45 wrote:
@mdo7
Just for your information: Bolding a large portion of your post is akin to shouting. It doesn't make your argument stronger or your statement more authoritative.


Not to go off topic, but I use it all the time and nobody complain to me about it. As a matter of fact, people seem to understand me more and take my evidence seriously when I bold my sentences. I know this because I did it on other forum and nobody complain about it.

When it's half the post it's kind of obnoxious and no, it doesn't make your arguments stronger.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Redbeard 101
Moderator


Joined: 14 Aug 2006
Posts: 16034
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 3:29 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
Alan45 wrote:
@mdo7
Just for your information: Bolding a large portion of your post is akin to shouting. It doesn't make your argument stronger or your statement more authoritative.


Not to go off topic, but I use it all the time and nobody complain to me about it. As a matter of fact, people seem to understand me more and take my evidence seriously when I bold my sentences. I know this because I did it on other forum and nobody complain about it.

It's not just a forum etiquette but a general rule of thumb on the internet as a whole. Across the internet large portions of bolded text are seen as "shouting" just as entire sentences or paragraphs of capitalized letters, underlined sentences, etc. There are no rules against it here so you can feel free to do so if you wish. However Alan is right, it does not automatically make your argument stronger or your point more authoritative. In fact often excessive bolded, underlined, or italicized sentences can have the reverse effect and come off as passive aggressive or overly rude. It can cause other users to take you less seriously when you do it excessively. I feel I should also point out this is not that other forum either by the way. Just because something is fine in one place doesn't mean others won't take offense to it somewhere else.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
mdo7



Joined: 23 May 2007
Posts: 5978
Location: Cypress, Texas, USA
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:

It's not just a forum etiquette but a general rule of thumb on the internet as a whole. Across the internet large portions of bolded text are seen as "shouting" just as entire sentences or paragraphs of capitalized letters, underlined sentences, etc. There are no rules against it here so you can feel free to do so if you wish. However Alan is right, it does not automatically make your argument stronger or your point more authoritative. In fact often excessive bolded, underlined, or italicized sentences can have the reverse effect and come off as passive aggressive or overly rude. It can cause other users to take you less seriously when you do it excessively. I feel I should also point out this is not that other forum either by the way. Just because something is fine in one place doesn't mean others won't take offense to it somewhere else.


Fair enough, but I never had that problem before. Also I never heard of that etiquette so I'll abide by it (on ANN) just to be polite. But using bold, italic, and underline kinda help me a lot even when I quote a cited source, I use it so the main point (which back up my points, analysis, statements) can stand out. It's an eyestrain when reading a quoted paragraph from a source (unless the person only quote the important part, but a paragraph or 2 can be an issue for me and other people) and people don't use bold or underline to make a point or back up their evidence. Some of us including me don't read very carefully (on a detail level) when given a quote from a cited source(s). So bolding, and underlining kind of helps a lot for me, I never viewed them as a problem to me. It also help other people which has problem with eyesore when reading multiple paragraphs.

There are times when people tell me that when I quote a cited source, I don't bold or underline the main point that back up my point. The same happen to other people too.

FLCLGainax wrote:
I'd imagine the chances of UY being re-licensed would be stronger if it already had a pre-existing English dub available of the whole series. Unfortunately, the only complete dub seems to be the Animax one.


I take it the Animax dub is bad, right??
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PurpleWarrior13



Joined: 05 Sep 2009
Posts: 1881
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:13 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:

UY (at least, like Ranma, once it gets past the crappy manga-dragging first season) has the same addictive power it once had when it was a generation's first "anime drug"--It's just that both the Japanese and the "new generation" of anime-raised kids (who associate anything Takahashi with "From the creator of InuYasha") that have snubbed it into an eww-that-so-80's,-why-does-it-not-like-die ghetto.
But like Ranma's slapstick farce being rediscovered, UY still has the trippy improvisatory geek-ref quality the writers and animators later brought to the first Project A-Ko movie, and Lum was, and is, the Hatsune Miku of her day. Anime smile

Also, like Sailor Moon, there is a feeling that the new boxset system can race through what it once took AnimEigo years to complete (they never picked up until they started doing the [email protected] boxes), and a sense of industry completism at seeing it finally get a "real" dub after all these many years. Something the distinctly UY-influenced Sgt. Frog would have been lucky to get.
Now, if only it wasn't the Maison-loathing Viz... Sad


You've got to be kidding yourself if you think Urusei Yatsura has a chance of getting the "Sailor Moon treatment" (complete BD/DVD re-release, new dub). There's not a chance in hell Viz or anyone will release that entire series on Blu-ray, much less dub the whole thing. If anything, we might get the Animax dub (which may or may not have been completed) on Hulu or something. Trust me, UY may have had it's fans 25 years ago (before I was born!), but it's almost completely unknown today. Yes, InuYasha and Ranma 1/2 are very, very popular, but unfortunately the Rumiko Takahashi name alone means nothing. InuYasha may have sold over a million units, but Rumiko Takahashi Anthology sold 80 (no, not 80,000. 80).

At best, Discotek might re-release the movies on DVD (with Beautiful Dreamer on Blu-ray).

Maison Ikkoku doesn't have much of a chance either, but it still has a million times better chance at seeing BD than UY.

And I enjoyed the first season of Ranma the most (the 21 pre-Nettohen episodes). Never watched UY, other than the Beautiful Dreamer film.
(Also, I think Doraemon was a much bigger influence on Sgt. Frog than UY).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mdo7



Joined: 23 May 2007
Posts: 5978
Location: Cypress, Texas, USA
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:25 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:

You've got to be kidding yourself if you think Urusei Yatsura has a chance of getting the "Sailor Moon treatment" (complete BD/DVD re-release, new dub). There's not a chance in hell Viz or anyone will release that entire series on Blu-ray, much less dub the whole thing. If anything, we might get the Animax dub (which may or may not have been completed) on Hulu or something. Trust me, UY may have had it's fans 25 years ago (before I was born!), but it's almost completely unknown today. Yes, InuYasha and Ranma 1/2 are very, very popular, but unfortunately the Rumiko Takahashi name alone means nothing. InuYasha may have sold over a million units, but Rumiko Takahashi Anthology sold 80 (no, not 80,000. 80).

At best, Discotek might re-release the movies on DVD (with Beautiful Dreamer on Blu-ray).

Maison Ikkoku doesn't have much of a chance either, but it still has a million times better chance at seeing BD than UY.


This is where I agree with Purplewarrior13. As I said, there is no way Urusei Yatsura blu-ray release in the US is possible. As I said, UY is lesser well-known title then Ranma 1/2 and Inuyasha. Also the anime is old, except for me and some other fans of old school anime, this anime might not appeal to the newer generations. So that is why I want if the anime is to be license in the US I want it to be stream on CR, Hulu, Netflix, etc.... first then determine/judge by the reception/feedback from the fans to see if a US blu-ray release is possible.

The reason Ranma 1/2 and Inuyasha got blu-ray release because they are well-known to anime fans (even Ranma 1/2 can appeal to newer generation because of it's novelty I think).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Touma



Joined: 29 Aug 2007
Posts: 2651
Location: Colorado, USA
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:42 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
The reason ... Inuyasha got blu-ray release ...

Are you referring to "The Final Act" or is the original series getting a Blu-ray release?
In a way I hope that it is. I have The Final Act and the movies on Blue-ray, so it would be nice to have the original series also on Blu-ray.
But I also sort of hope that it is not true. I already own two complete DVD releases, the singles and the season sets, in addition to all of the manga and I really should not be spending any more money on Inuyasha.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
PurpleWarrior13



Joined: 05 Sep 2009
Posts: 1881
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:50 pm Reply with quote
I don't think there are any plans for the original InuYasha seasons to be released on Blu-ray. The first 98 episodes might benefit since they were cel-animated onto film. The rest of the episodes were animated digitally in standard definition, and wouldn't really benefit from an HD remaster.

Also, unlike UY, Ranma was actually VERY popular in the US, once the most popular anime series on the home video market. It's not as big today, but it's still recognizable enough to carry it through a complete Blu-ray release. It's one of the "gateway" anime series that pre-dated Toonami.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mdo7



Joined: 23 May 2007
Posts: 5978
Location: Cypress, Texas, USA
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:

Are you referring to "The Final Act" or is the original series getting a Blu-ray release?
In a way I hope that it is. I have The Final Act and the movies on Blue-ray, so it would be nice to have the original series also on Blu-ray.


Wait the original Inuyasha hasn't gotten a blu-ray release in US yet. Shocked I thought it did, well maybe it was the Final Act that got a blu-ray

*checking through blu-ray.com to validate this*

Yeah Touma, looks like you're right. Inuyasha (other then the film and the Final Act) haven't got a blu-ray release. So I'm hoping it could happen at some point.

PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
I don't think there are any plans for the original InuYasha seasons to be released on Blu-ray. The first 98 episodes might benefit since they were cel-animated onto film. The rest of the episodes were animated digitally in standard definition, and wouldn't really benefit from an HD remaster.


Unless the Japanese production committee announce it, then it could happen (which I hope it could happen in the future). I'm keeping my finger cross for it to happen. I mean Ranma 1/2 came out before HD happen so if Ranma 1/2 can get a HD remaster, then so can Inuyasha.

you also wrote:
Also, unlike UY, Ranma was actually VERY popular in the US, once the most popular anime series on the home video market. It's not as big today, but it's still recognizable enough to carry it through a complete Blu-ray release. It's one of the "gateway" anime series that pre-dated Toonami.


Yes, I know and I think Ranma 1/2 can appeal to a newer generation because of it's storyline and it's novelty. The interesting question is: Why do some old school anime like Ranma 1/2 and Sailor Moon can appeal to a new generation of US/international anime fans when Mobile Suit Gundam 1979 and Urusei Yatsura can't? So it seem like any anime made in 1970's and early 80's don't appeal to current new generation anime fans in the US, but anything from mid 80's to 90's are able to do this? You see where I'm getting at Purplewarrior13?
Confused
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group