• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Licenses The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan, Show By Rock!! Anime

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blatch
Thread Killer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:32 pm Reply with quote
So that's where the kitty maid I saw in the Anime Japan header came from...
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:37 pm Reply with quote
I still don't get the point of wanting a Haruhi show that basically transforms the regular show into a run-of-the-mill romantic comedy you can find with any dozens of other titles. The whole thing that makes Haruhi interesting is that it ISN'T that, that there's a twist to it.

More time should be spent adapting more stories from the novels and short story collections, and not some generic moe love fest.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The whole thing that makes Haruhi interesting is that it ISN'T that, that there's a twist to it.
Except that the situation of a "normal guy is suddenly surrounded by a supernatural setting" is almost as dime a dozen as the Moe-romantic comedy, the OTHER issue being that the original run of Haruhi torpedoed itself by making the audience watch Endless Eight in S2, Pepper it with the nature that the Lead Seiyuu at the time got into a little public heat and yeah that anime rendition of Haruhi is pretty much a concluded era.
ParaSitius

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Where do I go to watch Nagato here in the UK?
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:21 pm Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
Quote:
The whole thing that makes Haruhi interesting is that it ISN'T that, that there's a twist to it.
Except that the situation of a "normal guy is suddenly surrounded by a supernatural setting" is almost as dime a dozen as the Moe-romantic comedy, the OTHER issue being that the original run of Haruhi torpedoed itself by making the audience watch Endless Eight in S2, Pepper it with the nature that the Lead Seiyuu at the time got into a little public heat and yeah that anime rendition of Haruhi is pretty much a concluded era.

Then they should stop making anything Haruhi-related. Not try to serve up this weak, generic moe romantic comedy disguised as a Haruhi show.

Either do a Haruhi show or don't, but doing this half-assed one is just shameful.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Kudos, Funimation, for Nagato Yuki!

Now here's hoping we'll soon hear news of their release for Haruhi Suzumiya, because I'm oh-so-very-close to caving in to just buying the import blu-ray release, high price be damned.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Know they get Yuki-chan
SaiyamanMS

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:26 pm Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
the original run of Haruhi torpedoed itself by making the audience watch Endless Eight in S2, Pepper it with the nature that the Lead Seiyuu at the time got into a little public heat and yeah that anime rendition of Haruhi is pretty much a concluded era.

Endless Eight was ridiculous stunt, but the movie was a spectacular return to form, and any issue with Aya Hirano is a moot point seeing as not only is she back for this series, but her career hasn't had any real issues in a while. (Her performance as Migi in Parasyte over the past 2 seasons was glorious.)

That said, I love the Yuki-chan manga and Madman better get this on their AnimeLab or else I'll be finding another way to watch this.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:47 pm Reply with quote
SaiyamanMS wrote:

Endless Eight was ridiculous stunt, but the movie was a spectacular return to form, and any issue with Aya Hirano is a moot point seeing as not only is she back for this series, but her career hasn't had any real issues in a while. (Her performance as Migi in Parasyte over the past 2 seasons was glorious.)

That said, I love the Yuki-chan manga and Madman better get this on their AnimeLab or else I'll be finding another way to watch this.

Yeah, basically any attempt to try and bring up that instance of unneeded backlash is a pointless. Not only did Hirano land on her feet in record time she even outright got better as an actress, bringing forth oddball characters like Migi or a threatening psychopath in Witch Craft Works, effectively giving the creative finger to her critics.
MischievousMelody

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Well, since Funimation now has the rights to Haruhi, this makes perfect sense Very Happy

This means that Yuki-chan will also get a dub, right? Although I have a feeling that the English voices won't be the same Sad
sailorsweeper

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Although I have a feeling that the English voices won't be the same.

I think they will try to get the main cast back as best they can. It just means it won't happen for a while.
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:01 pm Reply with quote
MischievousMelody wrote:
This means that Yuki-chan will also get a dub, right? Although I have a feeling that the English voices won't be the same Sad

I think the best chance of having the original cast back is if they just don't simuldub it, since they're not Funimation regulars and I doubt they would be able to gather them in the time they need for that. We'll have to wait and see either way.
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Crispin Freeman better return if they dub it. I mean sure the rest of the cast too but even if they get Michelle Ruff and Wendee Lee and Johnny Bosch it's not complete until they get Freeman.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:23 pm Reply with quote
pachy_boy wrote:
I think the best chance of having the original cast back is if they just don't simuldub it, since they're not Funimation regulars and I doubt they would be able to gather them in the time they need for that. We'll have to wait and see either way.

Well, Johnny and Stephanie are really the only Funi regulars out of the main cast. At times, Funi has reunited the main cast or most of the main cast for other shows that weren't originally Funi licenses.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:40 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I still don't get the point of wanting a Haruhi show that basically transforms the regular show into a run-of-the-mill romantic comedy you can find with any dozens of other titles. The whole thing that makes Haruhi interesting is that it ISN'T that, that there's a twist to it.

I'm a big fan of the manga and the whole point of it is to show what life would be like in the Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya universe if Kyon himself was a native to that universe and there are a lot of sly in-jokes for people familiar with the main Haruhiverse.

Also, it's for people who want Yuki Nagato to be Kyon's main love interest instead of Haruhi.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3