• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Low-Income Animator Dorm Opens in Tokyo's Asagaya District

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Via_01

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Oh, so this is finally happening. Great news for those animators that still don't have much of an income.
daichi383

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Great news indeed. Glad it's finally happening. Already got my backer rewards (2 artbooks and a DVD) from the campaign a while ago so i was wondering when it'd be open. Good news indeed.

Very Happy
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:30 pm Reply with quote
It's refreshing to see that animators are finally getting some much-needed help for housing. Smile
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:50 pm Reply with quote
It's a shame that they needed such a project to have an affordable(?) housing unit.
Crisha

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:11 pm Reply with quote
I missed out on this when it happened. Do they have a project page where donations could still be provided? Do they plan on more crowdfunding ventures in the future? I'd like to donate some money if possible.

I'm glad to hear it's gone live though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:15 pm Reply with quote
willag wrote:
I missed out on this when it happened. Do they have a project page where donations could still be provided? Do they plan on more crowdfunding ventures in the future? I'd like to donate some money if possible.

I'm glad to hear it's gone live though.

It was an Indiegogo campaign that started last summer. There seems to be a contact for the runner, Jun Sugawara I suppose you can get in touch and see if they'd be willing to take more donations.
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Hameyadea wrote:
It's a shame that they needed such a project to have an affordable(?) housing unit.

Agreed, I wish the Japanese government could've step in and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
reanimator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Animators Naoyuki Asano (The Tatami Galaxy) and Shingo Yamashita (Gatchaman Crowds) and NPO Animator Supporters founder Jun Sugawara collaborated on the project.

I pitched in for their crowdfunding project, but not high enough for their offerings. Anyway I'm glad that their project sees the fruition.

They're going to be at Animazement convention in North Carolina in May of this year. So please show your love and support to their endeavor if you're planning to go there.

mdo7 wrote:
Agreed, I wish the Japanese government could've step in and help.

If Government could, then they should give studios incentives and develop an artist village and infrastructures so that whole animation industry could move to the cheaper area. Animation production isn't just Tokyo exclusive.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Even for low-income artists, that's a good deal. Personally, I think that these artists should be making a minimum of $20k-$25k/annually but that's obviously unlikely.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Relief has finally come for animators, hopefully more space will be available for other animators.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:16 am Reply with quote
It's a good start, but it's treating the symptoms rather than the cure. Nevertheless, having affordable housing can definitely provide a stepping stone for bigger, more substantial reform.
daichi383

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:47 am Reply with quote
reanimator wrote:

If Government could, then they should give studios incentives and develop an artist village and infrastructures so that whole animation industry could move to the cheaper area. Animation production isn't just Tokyo exclusive.

Honestly that seems like it would be a good way to help solve the problem. I would really like to see that happen.
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:22 am Reply with quote
That sounds quite nice. Glad to see animators finally getting some attention and much needed help.
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:05 am Reply with quote
daichi383 wrote:
reanimator wrote:

Honestly that seems like it would be a good way to help solve the problem. I would really like to see that happen.

I share the same sentiment.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1