• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dark Horse to Release Planetes Manga as Omnibus Volumes

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
partially

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:23 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
I noticed that 7 is listed as a paperback, so they might be changing some things.

Well Amazon is wrong a lot of the time. Plus it wouldn't really make sense unless 6 was PB as well. 6 wouldn't be in production yet, and if they made the decision to go PB, makes sense to start it sooner rather than later. Add to that the fact that $22 for a PB is a complete deal-breaker. We shall see though.
jroa

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:09 pm Reply with quote
brand wrote:

It has been years but from what I remember the anime injects a lot more humor into it. There are no goofy guys who think they are ninjas on the moon and stuff. I feel the manga has a much stronger atmosphere. But I remember both are pretty close.

Sure, but the anime also has more relationship stuff, more politics and more scientifically accurate depictions of space.

The biggest difference, beyond many smaller ones, is the last volume of the manga is huge and wasn't included in the adaptation. It is mostly a side story about Fee (who is certainly cool and all, but the anime focused more on Hachi and Tanabe). Either way, the Planetes manga is very good in its own right and worth reading even for fans of the anime.
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:39 pm Reply with quote
I can't believe it! I never imagined this would be rereleased! And here I thought I was so special because I own the first two volumes and was able to read the rest through interlibrary loan. My Tokyopop volumes' value may go down, but I am so, so happy it's being made available again.

And if that Vinland Saga news is true (waiting on Kodansha for confirmation) than this is a good day for good manga!
bahamut623

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:24 am Reply with quote
The anime and manga are different enough from each other that they're both separate experiences, but neither one is vastly superior to the other. Both are great. For me, I think I like the anime a bit better. It ends at a better place. The manga goes a bit beyond where the anime leaves off, but doesn't really have a strong ending.

I saw the anime first, so the most surprising thing when I read the manga was realizing just how many characters in the anime were anime-originals. Even some that seemed vital to the story were created just for the anime.

I tracked down all the TP volumes a few years ago (including going through several volume 4s, since there was apparently a print run that all had the same pages missing), but I just might double dip for this one. Would be nice if it's hardcover to go with Vinland Saga.
ninja noir

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:44 am Reply with quote
Wow, such wonderful news! I've been calling for this to be re-released like this for a long time now. So happy to finally have a chance to read this. Smile
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:44 am Reply with quote
The fact that Kirk Thornton is Hachi I find to be appropriate since he was 002 in Cyborg 009 and they sometimes went into space/the air.
noblesse oblige

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:05 pm Reply with quote
This is terrific news! Glad I decided to check ANN today. Man, DH isn't really active in the manga sector anymore, but when they do decide to go after something it's always A+ material. Yukimura is one of my favorite artists so I will be more then happy to double dip on Planetes Smile
phia_one

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Awesome! I've wanted to read this series for a while now.
gsilver

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:18 pm Reply with quote
I'm really excited to see this. I loved the manga, but Tokyopop's release was really muddy compared to the originals.

I'll be happy to replace my TP books with ones that are printed properly.
kevinx59

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:44 am Reply with quote
That's pretty interesting. Planetes was the second manga I ever bought but I never got around to finishing it. The stories were solid though and the art was really great. I watched the first episode of the anime and was put off a bit by that new girl and the art. I mean it looked fine, but I was expecting more detailed art and shading like Madhouse's work on Gungrave or Beck or Manglobe's work on Samurai Champloo and Ergo Proxy rather than Sunrise's Gundam-ish look. It just looked too cartoony for me. I may get these omnibuses though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2