• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai Visual: Planned Gargantia 2nd Season Scrapped in Favor of Novel

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kazenoyume

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:19 am Reply with quote
I hope by 'concluding Ledo's story' it means 'Ledo is in it, but the story is focused on these random other people on the cover', because I am admittedly going to be pretty disappointed if I don't get to follow Ledo's journey through to the end since I don't speak Japanese! Hopefully the second part of the OVA gives a good conclusion.

(That being said the new characters look like a genderswapped Ledo and Amy.)
SouthPacific

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:21 am Reply with quote
Skipping a TV anime for a novel sounds pretty absurd... I really hope we'll get a 2nd season in due time. It's not like the sales didn't justify it, the TV series had an average of 8.5k BDs and the first OVA sold 6k-something.

Perhaps they could adapt this new novel if there's enough buzz and good sales... Smile

BrainBlow wrote:
Thank goodness they scrapped it! May it never resurface again!

How would a 2nd season affect you in any way? It's not like BV will come to your house and force you to watch it.

And if you're talking about Gen writing the first episode and then nothing else (he also wrote the last episode, but you seem to have forgotten this...) then you are sorely mistaken. He's listed as assisting in series supervision, series composer & story creation Wink.
KH91

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:06 am Reply with quote
NOOOOOOO! Damn you various circumstances. Guess Ill read the novel.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:21 am Reply with quote
Seeing how I loved everything about this series except the basic plot point about the squidfolk and how to view them, I'm still against the idea of continuing those errors in novel form.

But it's cheaper, I can give it that much.

But I love the idea that even though "they" really wanted to do a sequel season but because of "various circumstances", they could not produce one.

Not just at the time. Not now, not ever.
Let's see: Key word "land", "concluding Ledo's story...", one writer from the series is producing the continuation...
Looks like creative differences are part of those "various circumstances" because that is precisely the stuff I don't care about myself. The whole "space war" thing? Doesn't matter. Squiddies? Unless they grow legs, they're not going to matter much in the end. What's left then?

Waterworld the Novel of the Animation? Think about it, Ledo's storyline spoiler[lost everything unique about the series] and the only things left are water pirates and salvagers. And they're not even that different!

They could have done something else for a continuation, follow a different character, using what the audience knows against expectations by going in a new direction, maybe even "untwist the twist ending" by spoiler[showing that while the Earth squids have regressed, the space ones are knowingly fighting a war of extinction against their former fellow humans]...

Great, I actually want to see that now.
BrainBlow

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:33 am Reply with quote
SouthPacific wrote:

How would a 2nd season affect you in any way? It's not like BV will come to your house and force you to watch it.

So?

SouthPacific wrote:

And if you're talking about Gen writing the first episode and then nothing else (he also wrote the last episode, but you seem to have forgotten this...) then you are sorely mistaken. He's listed as assisting in series supervision, series composer & story creation Wink.

Then that just means he's a godawful writer and/or story supervisor.
Julliant

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:37 am Reply with quote
SouthPacific wrote:
Skipping a TV anime for a novel sounds pretty absurd... I really hope we'll get a 2nd season in due time. It's not like the sales didn't justify it, the TV series had an average of 8.5k BDs and the first OVA sold 6k-something.

Perhaps they could adapt this new novel if there's enough buzz and good sales... Smile

BrainBlow wrote:
Thank goodness they scrapped it! May it never resurface again!

I wouldn't talk logic to someone who would be upset that someone makes a TV show that he's not going to watch anyway.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:50 am Reply with quote
I hope that the novel appeases a lot of fans since the creators scrapped a potential 2nd season that likely disappointed various fans.
ichii_1

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:02 am Reply with quote
There wasn't much you could do with the main story, only side characters.

They should have gone to shonen jump for help, they're masters of prolonging series Anime hyper
Sacto0562

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:09 am Reply with quote
I believe Production I.G. was originally aiming for Summer 2015 or Fall 2015 airing of the second season. Maybe they would take the novel and adapt it for a 12 to 13 episode series for Summer 2016 when they have more time available?
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:39 am Reply with quote
SouthPacific wrote:
Skipping a TV anime for a novel sounds pretty absurd... I really hope we'll get a 2nd season in due time.

To me this also looks like a middle finger to the fans. Announcing that there was a possibility of a second season is dumb. I am a big fan of Gargantia and a well-made season 2 will be welcomed, but I am not sure if Bandai Visual even knows what the hell they are doing.

Sacto0562 wrote:
I believe Production I.G. was originally aiming for Summer 2015 or Fall 2015 airing of the second season.

Sources
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:43 am Reply with quote
Conclusion to Ledo's arc? I thought he was the center of the show. There was more?

Anyway, sad to hear this, but at least they didn't completely throw it out the window. New girl looks good, but that new guy is nowhere near the coolness of Ledo.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:30 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed the anime; the art style was vibrant, the story was thrilling (in a Waterworld way) and the BGM was nice to listen to. I still hope that a 2nd season will be made.
epicrevenge

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:41 pm Reply with quote
This is disappointing. Sad But I had started to think that something like this would happen so it isn't that surprising to me.

Fingers crossed the novel is picked up for an English release at least.
Ali07

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:40 pm Reply with quote
ItAintEazy wrote:
Ali07 wrote:
When I saw the headline, found it strange. Reading the article, 2nd season wasn't scrapped for a novel. Laughing

You read this part, right?

Quote:
続編小説については、元々TVシリーズ第2期の予定でシナリオを作っていたものが、諸般の事情で残念ながら制作が困難になってしまったこと、しかしその想いを小説という形で成就されたことなどが語られた。

The title for this article, to me, reads as if they could've made a 2nd season, but decided to make a book instead.

Using google translate on that quote, it mentions they ran into difficulties in making more anime. Which was also mentioned in the article.

As making a new anime season was no longer an option, that is reason why the title for this article seems off to me.
marichan99

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:29 am Reply with quote
These two 'new' characters look like they are genderbent versions of Ledo and Amy. Anyone notice that?? Maybe their kids? LOL Maybe the producers were just fooling around.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2