• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Announces Danganronpa Anime English Dub Cast

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:54 am Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
since they finished recording this well over a year ago
Source?
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:13 am Reply with quote
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
getchman wrote:
Source?

various individuals on twitter and Facebook stating how long they have waited to finally be able to talk about it
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:50 am Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
getchman wrote:
Source?

various individuals on twitter and Facebook stating how long they have waited to finally be able to talk about it
Looked it up. You're totally right.

Holy shit.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:28 am Reply with quote
I'm not surprised.
Funi has been infamously on and off about retaining voice casts.

I'm still hung up over Fafner HaE getting a complete recast and not a single person from the original dub coming back.
wonderwomanhero

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm.....no Shelley Calene-Black? I wonder if she only does Sentai dubs.

But yeah, its to be expected that they would not use the same actors if its Funimation.

(When it comes to video games look at Tales of Symphonia for example. The entire cast with the exception of Cam Clarke and Heather Hogan-Watson got recast. As I understand it Kari Wahlgren mentioned she was not even aware they were recording for it. Curious about Tales of the Abyss anime. I'd rather they just stick with subbed if they can't get Yuri Lowenthal, Nicole Ballick, JYB, etc
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 3:29 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
I'm curious what forces in the Universe prevented funi from releasing this until now. We'll never know, but curiosity still remains.

Sometimes they are forced to wait before they can release the series on BD, due to sharing the same region code as Japan.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 3:43 pm Reply with quote
EmperorBrandon wrote:
getchman wrote:
I'm curious what forces in the Universe prevented funi from releasing this until now. We'll never know, but curiosity still remains.

Sometimes they are forced to wait before they can release the series on BD, due to sharing the same region code as Japan.

right, I'm, well aware of that, and it could be something as simple as that. on the other hand, over two years since it aired could mean it's something completely different
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 3:56 pm Reply with quote
wonderwomanhero wrote:

But yeah, its to be expected that they would not use the same actors if its Funimation.

(When it comes to video games look at Tales of Symphonia for example. The entire cast with the exception of Cam Clarke and Heather Hogan-Watson got recast. As I understand it Kari Wahlgren mentioned she was not even aware they were recording for it. Curious about Tales of the Abyss anime. I'd rather they just stick with subbed if they can't get Yuri Lowenthal, Nicole Ballick, JYB, etc

She has been in some Funi dubs but is mostly a Sentai VA.
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:30 pm Reply with quote
wonderwomanhero wrote:
She was in Master of Martial Hearts. spoiler[Don't watch Master of Martial Hearts though]. And going off her BTVA profile she was also in Maken-ki, Jormungand, Shiki, Sekirei, Rosario + Vampire, Casshern Sins, FMA Brotherhood, One Piece, The Fairy Tail Movie, FMA Sacred Star of Milos, the second Eden of the East Movie and Summer Wars. Granted, a large majority of those look like very minor roles. She's done way more stuff for ADV and Sentai.

Kind of wish Sentai would utilise her better. She's been on the recieving end of more than a few truly confusing casting choices.
Panzer Vor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:03 am Reply with quote
Kaiji Tang @KaijiTang · 13h
Heya! For those who've been asking, I was never contacted for #DanganRonpaTheAnimation. But I'm sure the new cast will sound great! #Peace

Kaiji Tang @KaijiTang · 13h
Though if Funi wanted to balance the karma scales, they could always let LA have their own version of DBZ. I'd make a helluva Saiyan Prince.
DigitalScratch

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:41 am Reply with quote
Honestly I'm actually pretty happy that they re-casted nearly all of the roles for the anime.

While there were great performances in the game's English dub (special mention to Marieve Harrington for being an amazing Celeste, and Amanda Celine Miller for being an equally amazing Junko), there were some characters who I couldn't help but think "Man, the actor/director could have done so much better."

In particular, there was Sayaka's voice and speech mannerisms- it sounded like she was completely unsure about what she was saying and thus ended most of her noises with a question mark. Ironically, her voice actress was Dorothy Elias-Fahn, who not only was Chihiro but is an excellent voice actress in her own right.

Not to mention- it's a new experience and I always love anticipating English dubs. Can't wait to own it (kind of hoping for Funi to have some sort of Premium Edition, because at this point I'm just throwing my bank account at them.)
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:19 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:

Which actually helps explain why Papenbrook was able to reprise his role. Recording this a year ago would have lined up roughly with the time he was there to record for Attack on Titan.
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:17 pm Reply with quote
I udnerstand fans disappointment if you really enjoyed the game's English voice cast.

I feel that Funi made a big mistake not trying to get more voice cast members from the game.

When the y recast the Ghost in the Shell: Raise dub actors because Japan did it, i really, really felt everyone was miscast, I can understand if fans of Danganrompa are disappointed that all they got back was Brice Papenbrook, if Funi could get 95% of the Hellsing Ultimate cast back, they could have done it for this anime.
JadeDahlia

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Felicity dash wrote:
Everything was okay at best until I saw this:

Quote:
Christopher R. Sabat as Mondo Owada

Seriously? Unless he could do a not-so-deep voice for him, I really can`t see him doing even a decent job.

He was Kuwabara in Yu Yu Hakusho so to me this is actually perfect casting because Mondo and Kuwabara could practically be twins. As a bonus, the guy who voice Yusuke is playing Leon.
stilldemented

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:55 pm Reply with quote
It's pretty understandable when you stop and think about it.

Funimation would be calling in a lot of people from LA for only a little bit of work. To be honest, the airplane ticket to go and do the dubbing would have probably ended up costing more than the paycheck.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3