• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yen Press Licenses Yowamushi Pedal, Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun, 11 More Manga

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cosain

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 2:28 am Reply with quote
it feels like Yen has taken a leap of faith and licensed a sports manga I'd be screaming if it was Haikyuu but YowaPeda aint too bad (enjoyed the anime haha) but Gekkan Shoujo im totally stoked for :')
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 3:51 am Reply with quote
Was excited for the barakamon spin off, then I saw digital only and the deal was off. Such a shame.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 4:15 am Reply with quote
Ooh, now those Stateside can read Handa kun! It is HI-LARIOUS. The first volume made me laugh more than Barakamon did (and that's saying something).
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:22 am Reply with quote
einhorn303 wrote:
I think Yowamushi Pedal is a good idea for Yen. I think of it as more a fujoshi manga than a sports manga. I just got back from Anime Boston today, and that series was wicked popular with fan artists and female cosplayers.

Agree with this observation. Last con I was at was Youmacon in November and there was a large number of Yowapeda cosplayers, nearly all of them women. So yeah, licensing this for the female readership just might avoid the usual fate of sports manga in the US.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:52 am Reply with quote
Stuff that was missing from the article RE: Digital titles:

1) These are not "digital only" titles. They're, like Another was, "digital for now." They're through a partnership with Squeenix to distribute digitally, and they're hoping they can secure the rights to physical versions down the line.

2) These, like the other Squeenix titles they've gotten, are not just North American licenses, they're worldwide digital licenses. So once they're available, they're available everywhere.

Also, if anyone's curious, the reason why some of the print+digital LN series that they have coming up don't have kindle versions for pre-order is most likely paperwork/contract delays. They're not entirely sure, but they should still come out at the same time as the print versions.
Jess-chan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:03 am Reply with quote
OMG! Yay for Nozaki-kun!!
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:51 pm Reply with quote
einhorn: American fangirls ain't going to buy this series. You have to tell people who are actually into sports and biking to check it out.
Calico

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:13 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
einhorn: American fangirls ain't going to buy this series. You have to tell people who are actually into sports and biking to check it out.

Because women never buy anything, amirite? That must explain why series with a large female fanbase like Black Butler and Kamisama Kiss never ever make the NYT Bestseller's list, and certainly not consistently either. They don't sell anything at all, and companies know from repeated mistakes to never bring over anything with a major female following. Oh, wait.
Seriously dude, cut out this "blaming women for the anime crash" shtick. You've already been proven wrong, no one wants to argue with you.
P.S. Love how you assume that women can't be into sports.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Calico:
Quote:
Because women never buy anything, amirite?

Not these women. They just pirate it. Rolling Eyes

Quote:
They don't sell anything at all, and companies know from repeated mistakes to never bring over anything with a major female following.

Well, they did, until they brought back Sailor Moon.

Quote:
P.S. Love how you assume that women can't be into sports.

They can, but when they are, they're generally not fangirls.
Ali07

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:13 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
1) These are not "digital only" titles. They're, like Another was, "digital for now." They're through a partnership with Squeenix to distribute digitally, and they're hoping they can secure the rights to physical versions down the line.

Well, then I'll be making sure I keep an eye out for Servant x Service news then. Laughing
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:28 pm Reply with quote
Schierke wrote:
Im glad Yowamushi and Nozaki got picked up but Yen Press is always expensive to buy from. I hope that these don't go with the trend and end up costing around $15... Its way too much! Crying or Very sad and i also read that they picked up prison school and its gonna be selling for around $20? I could buy two books from Shounen Jump with that smh.

I can get where you're coming from 100%, but in my experience a lot of Yen's more expensive releases have been omnibuses or otherwise specialty-releases ala the full-color editions of Milkyway Hitchhiking.

I buy most of my manga/manhwa thru Rightstuf and their prices don't seem different for Yen's books than most any other manga.
Calico

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:44 am Reply with quote
GATSU:

So now I guess you're claiming that women(who knows what you mean when you say "these") just pirate everything. That doesn't really make any sense, considering that, as I mentioned in my previous post, series with a female fanbase do sell here. And I don't know what you're trying to get at by mentioning Sailor Moon. Are you trying to say that companies never brought over any series that appealed to women until Sailor Moon did so well? Because that's blatantly untrue.

And yay, even more elitism! Women can be real sports fans, but they can't possibly be a fangirl because fangirls are stupid or whatever your logic is. And you just contradicted yourself. You claimed that only "real" sports fans would ever buy Yowapeda, but apparently the women who are sports fans won't buy it. Like, it's pretty obvious that you're using this thread to yet again blame women for everything, so please stop soapboxing.
Dfens

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Dessa so the article was correct then that such titles are as you put it are digital only releases for now. But that doesn't help me or others and it means squat when it's not in print form from the get go.

I like many others will not and never will support digital paid releases, if you want me to pay for it I better have a physical copy in my hand or make the release so fast and cheap that we forget it's not in print form.

Also it doesn't help if say the digital release numbers aren't that good and they say forget about doing it in print form.

Unless Yen Press has with every title they released digitally latter on did a actual physical copy then I wouldn't worry so.
championferret

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:29 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

leaving aside the breaking news that scientists have just discovered that america is not the only english-speaking country on earth...

...I have literally never, ever seen a male Yowapeda fan. Ever.
I mean I'm sure they exist, but acting like this wont sell with female fans is hilariously off-base.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3