• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Man Threatens Sarin Gas Attack on Akihabara as April Fools' 'Joke'

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thennarynak

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Talk about tasteless insensitivity.

I wonder if he will end up being charged for something, seeing as the authorities took his joke seriously enough.
TheFullmetalOne

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:39 pm Reply with quote
This isn't humor, it's plain stupidity!
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:42 pm Reply with quote
thennarynak wrote:
Talk about tasteless insensitivity.

I wonder if he will end up being charged for something, seeing as the authorities took his joke seriously enough.

I think that such a threat should put him into custody.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:01 pm Reply with quote
TheFullmetalOne wrote:
This isn't humor, it's plain stupidity!

Yep I agreed, it's not funny on April Fools to be joking about "joining ISIS", or saying you're going to "commit an attack on Washington DC."

What the person did was taking it too far and was very insensitive and he did it on the anniversary of this infamous event.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Though I am for free speech, I agree that there should be limits on it at times and this would be one of those times.
Madoka...AYUKAWA!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Stupid joke yes.

But reading 2 comments above the US people should stop with their terrorism paranoia and take it as an excuse for everything for the last 14 years. Its getting tiring reading terrorism this, terrorism that everywhere on the net.

But that is another topic..
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:10 pm Reply with quote
It seems that this guy will be facing some time in the slammer if the police decide to arrest him. There's no way anyone would take a threat as malicious as this with a grain of salt, even if it was intended to be an "April Fool's Joke."
FireballDragon

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:15 pm Reply with quote
April Fools'... JERK.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:38 pm Reply with quote
There should be a special place in the Japanese jails/prisons for people like him.
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:43 pm Reply with quote
What an idiot. It never ceases to amaze me how stupid people get for a joke or prank. Imagine if you act like you're dead as an April Fool's joke to scare your mother, and then she commits suicide before you reveal the joke. Well, at least it wasn't intentional, right?
kotomikun

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Though I am for free speech, I agree that there should be limits on it at times and this would be one of those times.

There are such limits. Free speech means you can't be arrested for complaining about the government. Plausible death threats are another matter entirely. This is a "shouting fire in a crowded theater" situation.

Probably can't get too much punishment since there won't be any evidence he was actually preparing to do this, but there'll be some sort of consequences.
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:17 am Reply with quote
Funny thing about the "shouting fire in a crowded theater" line": even the man who wrote the court opinion it's from moved away from it. "Freedom of speech" also doesn't mean nearly so little as what you seem to think it does.
Eldritcho

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:25 am Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
Kadmos1 wrote:

There are such limits. Free speech means you can't be arrested for complaining about the government. Plausible death threats are another matter entirely. This is a "shouting fire in a crowded theater" situation.

Probably can't get too much punishment since there won't be any evidence he was actually preparing to do this, but there'll be some sort of consequences.

Your reasoning is funny, because that saying is from a WW1 era Supreme Court ruling, and the "shouting fire" specifically was people complaining about the government.
sWiTcHKun

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:20 am Reply with quote
I LOLED HARD at the article and at the comments.

You guys sound like a bunch of a butthurt modern feminists, I'm not kidding! Same friggin mentality!

You guys are too serious, to be honest. The mentality between people on moderated forums/websites and image boards are quite different, to say.

You guys are like "oh man, I feel so butthurt! I hope he goes to jail! Oh people like him should be etc etc etc."

Please, give me a break already. /facepalm

I've already seen such mentality way too often on the mainstream web already.
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:35 am Reply with quote
This whole "I'm threatening people on Twitter, but it's alright, I'm only joking!" trend needs to stop. Lord.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3