• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Show By Rock!! (TV) (all seasons).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:54 am Reply with quote
On SanrioJapan's official YouTube channel, there are about six English-subtitled shorts (about a minute each) that were posted two years ago: three featuring Plasmagica and three featuring Shingancrimsonz. Some of them are funnier than others, and it looks like Sanrio's ideas for Show By Rock have changed a lot during the past two years. They are worth watching just for Rom's lines.

It's also worth noting that there are about 20 bands in the game right now. A bunch of them are actually based on existing Japanese bands: for example, "Chammy Chaplets" (the plant-girl's band) is based on the band "kiki*", while the monster-themed band "Demons Venom" is really the band "silhouette from the skylit."
TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:28 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
On SanrioJapan's official YouTube channel, there are about six English-subtitled shorts (about a minute each) that were posted two years ago: three featuring Plasmagica and three featuring Shingancrimsonz. Some of them are funnier than others, and it looks like Sanrio's ideas for Show By Rock have changed a lot during the past two years. They are worth watching just for Rom's lines.

The videos on that channel are game canon. But game and anime canon are completely different. In the game, Cyan has always been a Myuumon and has always lived in MIDI City. So those shorts are canon, just to the game and not the anime.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:40 am Reply with quote
Episode 3:

This week...

I actually thought both bands spoiler[did well in terms of musical talent in the battle of the bands. But anyways, since it's Cyan's first official concert live, I think she got the most fun out of it. Hope to see her improve as well as she already demonstrated some of her talent.] Also, I pretty much got hang of the CGI by now.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:57 am Reply with quote
That Uwasanopetals scene at the end made me very happy. I hope we see even more bands from the game!
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Isn't that always the way? You have a spoiler[Battle of the Bands coming up right when your book planet report is due! Is it significant that the alien is a black sheep in her CG form? Smile]

On SanrioJapan's official YouTube channel, there are about six English-subtitled shorts (about a minute each) that were posted two years ago: three featuring Plasmagica and three featuring Shingancrimsonz.

Those were cute. I get a kick out of Yaiba's excessively wordy lyrics crammed into the measures. Smile
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:08 pm Reply with quote
The girls' rooms continue to be super-adorable. I know a lot of people prefer the SHAFT approach to room design, but I think these look way better.

TheBeatlesPkmnFan42 wrote:
That Uwasanopetals scene at the end made me very happy. I hope we see even more bands from the game!

While merchandise doesn't always indicate a show's focus, just about every single keychain, bath towel, pencil case, etc. associated with the anime version of Show By Rock features either Plasmagica, SHINGANCRIMSONZ, Tricronika, TAM, or Cristacrista. That might mean nothing, or it might mean that the first cour will focus on those five bands. No matter what, I have a feeling that every band will make at least a cameo appearance this season, barring some unforeseen drama related to one of the based-on-a-real-world bands. You never know.

I was very glad that they "took the high road" with Cristacrista this week. The lack of fanservice was both noticed and appreciated. On the other hand, I hope Cyan spent at least part of this episode'sspoiler[ time-skip] shopping for longer shorts.
TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:50 am Reply with quote

TheBeatlesPkmnFan42 wrote:

While merchandise doesn't always indicate a show's focus, just about every single keychain, bath towel, pencil case, etc. associated with the anime version of Show By Rock features either Plasmagica, SHINGANCRIMSONZ, Tricronika, TAM, or Cristacrista. That might mean nothing, or it might mean that the first cour will focus on those five bands. No matter what, I have a feeling that every band will make at least a cameo appearance this season, barring some unforeseen drama related to one of the based-on-a-real-world bands. You never know.

Yeah, I'm not really expecting any band besides the five to be important, but now I'm expecting to see more bands at least get small scenes like Uwasanopetals did. I doubt we'll see any tie-up bands though, unless the real bands have time to voice act. I feel all we'll be seeing of those bands are more logo and poster cameos, and not any speaking appearances.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:19 am Reply with quote
Episode 3

I am actually kind of spoiler[happy that Plasmagica did not win, it would not feel as satisfying if they don't struggle a bit].

I like how the ED seems to be adding in new bands as they are introduced.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:46 am Reply with quote
Episode 4

I totally recognized spoiler[the ramen bit as being] from the mini-episodes on SanrioJapan's YouTube channel.

I remember the spoiler[originality thing] also brought up in Love Live.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 11:32 am Reply with quote
I'm actually starting to like the songs for this series now...

And lol, the guys' band became the comedy relief lately.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
I'm actually starting to like the songs for this series now...

And lol, the guys' band became the comedy relief lately.

Shingan CrimsonZ have been the comic relief ever since the franchise started. Just watch the shorts on Sanrio's YouTune channel that BodaciousSpacePirate mentioned.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 1:30 am Reply with quote
Episode 6

I think that Shingan CrimsonZ stole the show this week, from spoiler[reactions of the guitar] to ending up on the spoiler[dud choice of a training camp]. I had to play it a couple times where they get spoiler[swayed by the charm of the mountain man].

And finding out anything of Cyan's character of how she grew up with music is welcome. Plus Strawberry Heart spoiler[calling people darlings].
Sunny milk

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Shingan CrimzonZ are a great addition as always, they really shot up some good comedy with them this time, but what was really well done is how they played out the character drama.
Cyan's voice trembling and almost tearing up while singing was a touching scene.
And as expected, the sales are skyrocketing after the episode.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 10:32 am Reply with quote
Speaking of ShinganCrimsonZ ....

This week (episode 8):

There was a rather serious argument between their members especially Aion. Glad to see they didn't break up in the end though. Bromance prevails! Also, it looks like they are hyping for another battle of the band next week.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 6:56 am Reply with quote
My favourite part was the foreboding music as spoiler[he was walking in before Rom hit his head on the doorway.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4