• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Show By Rock!! (TV) (all seasons).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 10:07 am Reply with quote
Episode 9:

Mm, grats to Plasmagica. I thought the battle of the bands this week lived up to its expectations. But wow, Dagger was not happy at that loss. I think he took it a bit way too far.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 10:14 am Reply with quote
That cliffhanger, damn. I feel really bad for Rosier and the rest of Criticrista. Hopefully Plasmagica will be able to save them. Also the inevitable Chuchu drama is finally happening next week, I was wondering when they'd touch on it.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
Episode 9:

But wow, Dagger was not happy at that loss.

You know, I'm not sure I understand why he was so upset. Isn't his goal to have the Plasmatics succeed so he can bring them into his stable and then turn them into Wendy O. Williams to wreak destruction on the world? If they lost, they couldn't go to Grateful Rock, and there'd be no point in trying to sign them.

I can see him discarding them after they served their purpose, but his being angry that they lost baffled me.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:59 am Reply with quote
I guess he wanted to smash Plasmagica into the ground by showing Criticrista as the better one. As far as bands go I can see that a rival can actually be great, the dialogue between them as rivals would be quite popular with audiences, and make both of them grow more. But that does seem to be the plot where he wants to have monopoly and control rather than a healthy and fun competition. Kind of the problem I have with the various idol media.

That ending was indeed more intense than I expected. And I had been thinking for some time that Cyan getting so much attention in improving the band when Chuchu started it could cause problems. Also before now I assumed Dagger had been a rabbit.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:04 am Reply with quote
Episode 10

I feel kind of stupid that I only just figured out when King recognised Chuchu that it was obvious that he was Srawberry Heart, like everything came together in my head. Which was right before they outright said it.

On two minds. I like some conflict although it was finished by the end of the episode, but I am glad that they did not end up falling into despair and things were fixed. That Chuchu admitted to having feelings that are not perfect, I actually liked that.

And the ED song. Looked like someone tried to steal the spotlight. Laughing
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Episode 12 (Finale)

That was pretty fun for a show based on music. I mean, the ending was predictable with Dagger's defeat. I think it was also inevitable that Cyan would go back home after everything that happened.

Overall, a fun show though in the end with some decent music. I think the comedy coming from the boys band were worth remembering as well from some of the previous episodes Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:04 pm Reply with quote
The series was overall good, but it was too rushed, needed to be longer, the majority of characters weren't even in this adaption, and they picked bosses at random instead of actually matching them up with the bands.

7.5/10 Maybe lower, but I gave it a slightly higher rating because of all the rewards we got in celebration of the anime in the game.

If the manga and light novel rumors are true, I hope those focus on the other 15 bands that this adaption didn't.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Episode 12

Turning into a star before becoming an angel and shooting your bow of love, cleansing the evil and saving the world. It is something right out of a magical girl anime (one particular anime comes to mind), did it fit here? Well this was not a straight up anime of only music. It kind of fits into those rock ideas the musicians saving the day while there is fire and lightning, and perhaps riding some sort of large beast. You know except this was a girly rock band with friendship and hearts.

The series ended how I wanted, Cyan going back to her own world and moving forward where she was stuck in the first episode. She got to say her goodbyes to everyone also, and apparently the president has an alternate form.

I rate the series as Decent, it did actually kind of lose some steam as it did not do much big, but it was still pretty to look at, nice to listen to, and fun to watch. Some nice comedy in there too, and the male cast also nice. If you like this sort of thing it could be a really nice watch.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:56 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 1

Aww, the ED animation is even cuter this time, they really look like moving figures.

I liked the return episode. Shingan CrimsonZ is as hammy as ever, but looks like they are not alone with the introduction of a futuristic ninja band, although overuse of the future part may be a bit of a joke because they are not clearly from that further apart. The episode did leave me waiting for Cyan, who I think was one of the more enjoyable parts, like a giant robot suddenly showing up in your room is worth a certain amount of confusion.
TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Season 2 Episode 1

Ninjinriot!!!

While they aren't my favorite band in the game (that goes to Labomunch) or my favorite original band (that'd be Shizuku Secretmind), they do mean a lot to me, since Rin's initial UR was the first UR I ever got in the game, back when I was just rank 20. I had gotten her from my first ever 50 melodician roll too, which was more impressive than it would be now as the UR rate is now double the amount it was back then.

Anyway, I'm really happy Arashi got to keep his voice from the game, and apparently his seiyuu, Naoya Hirose, is very happy to have been able to have a role in an anime. I think this is his first time? Seems to be the case given I can't find any other roles he's done for an anime. Doesn't seem they'll be getting a song though. There's no single for them listed on the anime site's music section and they aren't listed in the character section either. Which is a shame because I love their music.

BUD VIRGIN LOGIC's new song "Schlehit Melodie" was amazing, as I pretty much expected it to be. It may end up beating Oyasumi Paranoia as my favorite song of theirs, we'll see once its full version comes out. BVL had been added to the game back in February, and became another one of my favorite original SB69 bands. I look forward to seeing more of them.

Next episode seems to be Moa-focused, which I'm looking forward to since she's my favorite member of Plasmagica and she got hardly any focus from the anime in season 1.

I also look forward to whenever ARCAREAFACT get their actual introduction, as opposed to the couple seconds of screentime they got here.

DuskyPredator wrote:
I liked the return episode. Shingan CrimsonZ is as hammy as ever, but looks like they are not alone with the introduction of a futuristic ninja band, although overuse of the future part may be a bit of a joke because they are not clearly from that further apart.

I'm pretty sure Ninjinriot are supposed to be from further in the future. At least in the game they are.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:52 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 2

Planet Pyuru was pretty fun. I especially kind of liked how they played around with the language thing which was made up of various "pyuru", and the character designs of the people. Even the kind of random native music. Also princess Moa.

And the new OP is also pretty good. I am feeling good about all this. Like the joke with the big menacing robot running away from paying a bill.
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:41 pm Reply with quote
I've been following the second season for the show.

First of all, I liked the way Bones did the second OP song as it has a more charming appeal to it. Regarding this week's episode.....

So not only is Cyan going training for her song...SHINGANCRIMSONZ is also looking for their own way to make things right.

A good amount of development for both sides I guess. Cyan's training montage was amusing to watch. Of course she also would have the support of her friends. Lucky girl. I just hope she can make everything work out after feeling that lack of confidence, which seems to have faded now.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:31 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 12

Not had a lot to say about this second season specifically, and I think that it has largely been a problem. It has felt largely unnecessary to return to this series; most things were tied up last season and there are has not been a lot of way to go. Shingang Crimson really did not get a lot of attention this season like it might have, outside of the rival group taking up the later part of the season when the show decided to bring up “the villains”, and really, they were not that interesting. About the only interesting part I can think of that was new and might have been the Moa home world episode, because it was kind of a thread that was not used in the first season and did feel to progress the story. We also had the real villain’s backstory near the end of the season and it was not too bad, even if a bit overdramatic.

It had a lot of what it the first season had, the ED is gorgeous with its style of CG models, and each week had a guest character take stage in it. Music is alright, the character groups themselves are not bad, but I think that there was a lack of feeling fresh. I give a rating of So-so (5/10), it is not entirely a waste of time, but fails to capture attention like the first season could.
TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:30 am Reply with quote
I've already spoken my thoughts on many other sites by this point but I may as well throw them out here as well.

I feel pretty much the same way about Show By Rock!! season 2 as I did season 1. It's still too rushed and doesn't give enough character development to everyone (I'd say the worst case would be with Yaiba, considering Shingan are the second most important band in SB69A).

Probably the best thing that happened story-wise in SB69A was them tackling Rom and Shu's backstory, especially since we got a song out of it and everything. It's cool to hear what their old band sounded like, although I'd be lying if I didn't say I wanted to know what it would sound like with Kasuya Daisuke singing it. I still prefer his voice over Mamo's, though I do like Mamo's voice more in Cadenza than I do in the Trichronika songs he sings.

Most of everything else though was kind of a mess. Just like how season 1 solved the problem of Chuchu wanting to go solo too fast, season 2 went through Aion and Ailane's conflict too fast. These things wouldn't have been a problem if they hadn't had some episodes deviating from the plot. That, and the fact that they added two more main bands, made the anime even more rushed. The plot being rushed was already a problem in season 1 and it was probably even worse here.

One thing I do like about season 2 more than season 1 is the music. I liked all the season 1 songs alright (have to admit though, Trichronika's season 1 song is my least favorite SB69 song, not a fan of the vocals there), but season 2 gave me more favorites than season 1 did. Season 1 had Meikyuu Destiny that's a standout song for me, whereas season 2 had Schlehit Melodie, Danzai no Solitude, Hanate! Dododon, and Cadenza. I would have liked more CG though, I really enjoyed how fluid and great it looked in season 1 and we didn't have enough here.

While I have a lot of complaints about this anime and only rated both seasons a 6/10, it's because I absolutely love Show By Rock!!. It's my favorite video game and has been for nearly two years (started playing Feb. 2015). Even with the questionable decisions the devs have made with the renewal update (some boring events, replacing the hardest charts in the game with easier, less fun charts), it remains my favorite game. SB69 means a lot to me not just because of the game, but because I've made a great deal of online friends through it (looking at you, people on the r/ShowByRock Discord server!).

I was really excited when the anime started, and those two months in between me getting the game and the anime airing felt way too long. When the teaser for it came out is when I had a suspicion this anime was not going to be what I wanted, but I was still excited regardless. Fast forward to when it was ended and I'm just "meh" on it.

What I had wanted out of a Show By Rock!! anime was not for them to turn Cyan into a human who gets sucked into a game world and has to save the world. I just wanted a cute slice-of-life anime about little animal people (well, mostly animals) in bands interacting with each other. Just like the game episodes and YouTube shorts to promote the game. It would have been fine if they had executed this strange idea better and hadn't made it super rushed.

On the bright side, SB69A did succeed in more people discovering the game. If it had never aired, while I would still be here playing it, many friends of mine in the fandom would not have, so I do give it credit for that!
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:30 am Reply with quote
Show By Rock!! Mashumairesh!!, Episode 12 (Finale)

I was considering whether to put it into the already existing thread for Show By Rock or put it in what watching, but I think it is mostly similar enough to put in the thread of the first two seasons that it can go here.

I never really thought of the original series as amazing, but it did hold a special place to me for some reason, like a special kind of charm. Show By Rock!! Mashumairesh!! was not able to recreate that for me. While I would even admit that swapping out the cast even a good idea, this end result feels unfulfilling, either this group not different enough, or not weird and quirky like what made the original group so fun. Howan is no Cyan.

And I entirely had no interest in concert bits, not in the signature chibi 3D CG models. The ED does have the girls play, but they are not even in their CG. Without these design switches, playing on the gorgeous plastic like look that is kind of just like the Link's Awakening remake, it is just like any anime girls play instruments, you suck out all the original charm.

Back on the Howan vs Cyan thing, everyone in the original series feel like they are overflowing with personality, big dorky personality that has its plot around protecting the world through music and not worrying how silly it is. The original show I think even played on making it look like it would be a safe high school girl plot with school band, before its whole animal people world route, its whole Sanrio thing, but Mashumairesh just kind of felt safe and easy. Sanrio just recently got good attention with Aggretsuko, you would think they should be ripe to come back to this show with something interesting, but it largely feels like it just created something in the world it already set without pushing any boundaries.

I have not even gotten into the boyband group of this show, which I actually found really unappealing, a bunch of I think delinquents that are nowhere near as fun ShinganCrimsonz. Actually felt like one of the few times their stuff was good was when the guys made a cameo. A highlight of this last episode I would say is when a particular character made a cameo, and the end promising that more is to come, actually might make me happy if it brings back the good thing back of the original, which I still think is how creatively weird it can be.

I rate this season this spinoff as So-so (5/10), which happens to be what I rated the second season, but I still think it mostly just did not grab my attention over actually being bad, but I kind of appreciate the other two seasons even more now.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4