• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
House of 1000 Manga - Kazuhiko Shimamoto

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GVman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Great article. Like so many things out there, I wish more of his manga was available in English.

Quote:
Of course, Moyuru makes Hiromi and Tonko watch anime with him, spending hours mansplaining why each show is so great.

What does "mansplaining" mean?
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:14 pm Reply with quote
I could never get into the series but they are interesting and the ones about the comic industry have some surprising insights here and there so he has my blessing even if he isn´t a regular guest on my reading list. The art is stellar too!

His new one Aoi Honoo it was nominated for the 3rd Manga Taisho Award in 2010 and for the 19th Tezuka Osamu Cultural Prize. Buried Treasure and Pile of Shame need to be front and center on this site. Less vapid weekly reviews and more history would do the kidZ some good.

Jason could also republish animenewsnetwork.com/house-of-1000-manga/2010-07-15 if he burns out on the theme to see if people will even notice. Or do his Kooji En.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jtron

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for writing this! I liked Blue Blazes a lot, and really enjoyed all of the "Pen series" manga I could track down in English translation. As a hot-blooded idiot myself, I could really relate!

GVman: "Mansplaining" is when a guy explains something in a condescending/patronizing way to a woman. A pure form is when someone asks a woman a question, they answer, and then someone mansplains what the woman really means.
medama_oyaji

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:25 am Reply with quote
I'd love to read the Blue Blazes manga, I loved the TV show!
Ji-L87

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:46 am Reply with quote
^
Agreed, the TV live action was fantastic. In a lot of ways, really. Quite impressed with how well they managed to capture the time period on a physical level with all the old props and mangas Surprised

One (perhaps big) complaint might be that I found the Gainax bits more interesting and in a way really overshadowed the shows main character, Moyuru himself, but it was interesting see.

I'm really interested in re-experiencing it through the original manga, as well as giving the Blazing Transfer Student a shot Wink
bobob101

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:16 pm Reply with quote
So after reading this column I went out to read Burning Pen. Which was AMAZING! Then I started watching Blue Blazes. Which is GREAT. This is the moeru passion I just can't get enough of. One of your best recommendations in a while. Great.
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Great article! I've been meaning to watch blue blazes and now I know to check out burning pen! I've had a fasination with the style of humor from blazing transfer student (regardless of not every joke working for me but having enough of them land) so this was a great read.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1