• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Playism Brings Touhou: Double Dealing Character Game to the West

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BrainBlow

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:50 am Reply with quote
Huh. Maybe I can actually get to try these games now.
85cmpersecond

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:03 am Reply with quote
Kind of interesting not to release Embodiment of Scarlet Devil first, seeing as it's the most popular/first in the Windows series, but maybe the fees are higher for that game vs DDC? Anyways, I suck at Touhou but love the characters and story, so it's nice to see this come over for an English audience!
Mizerous

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:47 am Reply with quote
Will Touhou get more Western fans now?
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:09 am Reply with quote
Sweet I get to play these games now hopefully it will be for the PC so I can play
wohdin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:13 am Reply with quote
Mizerous wrote:
Will Touhou get more Western fans now?

lol, no.

Honestly, when fan translations of every main series Touhou game get released within a month after the game's Japanese release, we're pretty much at the upper limits of non-Japanese people's interests in the series.
Clarste

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:14 pm Reply with quote
85cmpersecond wrote:
Kind of interesting not to release Embodiment of Scarlet Devil first, seeing as it's the most popular/first in the Windows series, but maybe the fees are higher for that game vs DDC? Anyways, I suck at Touhou but love the characters and story, so it's nice to see this come over for an English audience!

It's the latest game in the series. I think the basic plan is to move forward with the newest, and ignore the old ones (or at least have them be a lower priority). Which is pretty much the same way Crunchyroll operates for its manga: start with the latest chapter and work backwards when you can. If you're not up to date, you're irrelevant, in this world of fansubbing and scanslations (and game patches). Anyone who cares or might care about Touhou already knows EoSD forwards and backwards, but people will always want to get the newer stuff so they know they aren't missing out on something.

Licensing fees are, with 100% certainty, not a problem. Because if ZUN wanted to make money with Touhou he'd be rich by now.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Is a Bullet Hell shooter, one of those side scrolling shooter games?
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 1:35 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:

To over simplify it, yes, but Touhou as a game is "just a bit more" which allowed the fandom to flourish after so many years.
potatopurplexs3

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 2:32 pm Reply with quote
It's about time Touhou got released in the west. Hopefully the older games get released here as well.
AmuroNT1

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 2:56 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:

It is bullet hell, but the aspect that makes it so popular is that rather than being a standard airplane shooter, you control one of any number of cute, moe girls with quirky personalities and weird inter-relations who use magic powers to throw special attacks. In that sense it's like Kantai Collection, though Touhou came first.
Clarste

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 3:03 pm Reply with quote
I probably shouldn't let this sort of thing affect me, but they're not really "moe" in the traditional sense... They're more like comedic jerks who talk about killing each other a lot. Actually it's kind of funny how whenever the fandom assumes two characters are good friends (usually because they're bosses in the same stage) ZUN comes in and says "oh yeah, those two, they hate each others' guts."

If we're talking DDC in particular, one of the routes is just Sakuya testing out her new knives on a series of hapless victims. Comedically.

...either way though, the point still stands that it's a shooter that attracts most of its audience through its characters and music rather than its gameplay. It's the kind of thing that invites a lot of fanart and remixes and stuff.
Seiru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Well I never thought this will happen!That's great news though because I never tthought that any Touhou game will get an official release in the west.Hopefully they can release older games later on but anyways still pretty glad.Can't wait to hear more updates.
85cmpersecond

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Clarste wrote:
snip

Good point about releasing the newest stuff, definitely makes sense. (also for some reason I mistook DDC for Double Spoiler when I read it, oops)
Yup, I agree with you about the fees too, I got to attend some of ZUN's panels at AWA when he came a few years ago and he really seemed like an excellent guy; aside from his not being super rich and all.
(he took a picture with me while I was in my Sekibanki cosplay, and I know a lot of other Touhou cosplayers got pictures with him too, really a nice thing to do)

I'll be excited to own an official English version in any case!
Polycell

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 6:56 pm Reply with quote
I really hope they go back and do the other Windows games as well; I'm the sort that really likes to do things in order, but even without that I'd love to see the original plots all these doujinshi are based on.
TarsTarkas wrote:
It's a type of shoot'em up; imagine if Galaga filled half the screen with bullets and you've got the general idea.
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Well, finally. I wonder what got ZUN to finally give in? I haven't played a Touhou game since Imperishable Night, but I'll definitely pick this up to support the Western release.

85cmpersecond wrote:
Kind of interesting not to release Embodiment of Scarlet Devil first, seeing as it's the most popular/first in the Windows series, but maybe the fees are higher for that game vs DDC?

As Clarste mentioned, it's probably cause it's old. That said, the visuals has slightly improved since the early games, so it'll be a little easier on the eyes for newcomers.

TarsTarkas wrote:

Yep. I don't know if this applies to you, but don't feel intimdated by the bullet hell label or youtube videos of people playing it on the hardest difficulty. You can still play on easier difficulties and have fun. Also, only the character designs are "moe". The actual story is really more of a fantasy story.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2