• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Barbobot

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 1:06 am Reply with quote
MiloTheFirst wrote:

as far as the show goes, she doesnt seem to have any kind of adiction to that berverage or reason to stay with that familia, so it raises the question "why is she allowing herself to go through that much bullshit?". is she fearing they go after her? that doesnt make sense because she IS NOT HELPLESS, we just saw her easily and succesfully setting up bel for death, so SHE HAD NO ISSUES WITH KILLING OTHERS, so then "why would she just not think of killing those guys that were actively abusing her before thinkinng of killing one inocent nice guy? (logic!) and why would she not try to do it a long while ago if they were really abusing her as badly as showed in the flashbacks?".

Physically she's not strong enough to fight back so she has to resort to trickery to deceive her targets. That's why she's always scamming adventurers (that and her general hate/distrust of them). That won't really work on any of the Soma Familia people when they already know her tactics. It's much hard to trick people when they know they're about to be tricked.

I have no idea in this world what it entails to leave a familia, but at the very least for Lili and the Soma Familia it isn't quite as simple as walking out the door after handing in your resignation. She comments that she's collecting money for a specific purpose in this episode, her freedom. I'm guessing she's forced to buy her way out so when she does leave they don't torment her until she comes back like what was shown in the intro to this episode with the old couple.
MiloTheFirst

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 1:17 am Reply with quote
Barbobot wrote:

Physically she's not strong enough to fight back so she has to resort to trickery to deceive her targets. That's why she's always scamming adventurers (that and her general hate/distrust of them). That won't really work on any of the Soma Familia people when they already know her tactics. It's much hard to trick people when they know they're about to be tricked.

I have no idea in this world what it entails to leave a familia, but at the very least for Lili and the Soma Familia it isn't quite as simple as walking out the door after handing in your resignation. She comments that she's collecting money for a specific purpose in this episode, her freedom. I'm guessing she's forced to buy her way out so when she does leave they don't torment her until she comes back like what was shown in the intro to this episode with the old couple.

of course she is not strong enough to fight any of them head on in a sword fight, and tricking anyone that is not bel is expect to be difficult, but they didn't show us her trying to trick them or fight them even once, just trying to run that one time. they hit her, and hard, she was bledding and all, on multiple ocasions. howcome she has not tried to kill them even once before bel? i mean, if it really hurts, and if her life is really in danger, and if she really resents them.

and those guys are easy to back stab, in fact we just saw them succesfully back stabing eachother in this episodes on the ants scenes. if the guy who first got her in the dungeon on that scene recogniced he could die if left with those ants, i think she could have schemed something similar herself to take them out. considering they dont always stick together
Nyaomix

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 5:43 am Reply with quote
The story is about Bell, not Liliruca. You saw the most important parts of her backstory in a condensed way to understand her character. Either she has failed in the past to trick them, or more likely, the fact that she`s always been controlled by them makes her certain she can`t beat them. Abuse is not something that tends to create a killing machine. When you are abused and have to strive to live, you don`t tend to take chances. Her character has proper motivation, and it seems she is free to leave the familia and live a non-dungeon life, outside of the fact that the adventurers won`t let her.

Hestia is handling this situation the best way she can, since there`s no way to convince him otherwise she might as well trust him. if you care about someone sometimes the best thing to do is be supportive. You know she plans to be there for him if anything goes wrong.
Key

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 4:18 pm Reply with quote
MiloTheFirst wrote:
i mean, they showed enough reasons for her to hate aventurers, incuring in betrayel etc, but precisely because of how brutal they are they make her character look inconsistent. her traumas, resentmen and emotions don't match with her actions. it makes her character look too artificial

as far as the show goes, she doesnt seem to have any kind of adiction to that berverage or reason to stay with that familia, so it raises the question "why is she allowing herself to go through that much bullshit?". is she fearing they go after her? that doesnt make sense because she IS NOT HELPLESS, we just saw her easily and succesfully setting up bel for death, so SHE HAD NO ISSUES WITH KILLING OTHERS, so then "why would she just not think of killing those guys that were actively abusing her before thinkinng of killing one inocent nice guy? (logic!) and why would she not try to do it a long while ago if they were really abusing her as badly as showed in the flashbacks?

The novel version is clearer on this point, and this is one of the few places where I think the adaptation trimmed too much:spoiler[ she has tried to leave multiple times in the past but has always been dragged back. That's why she is plotting to buy her way to freedom this time.]

Also, I don't really see that her actions and emotions don't match what's been done to her in the past. She's putting on a facade while secretly hating the adventurers she has to deal with and screwing them over whenever she can get away with it.

Anyway, I was also very satisfied overall with this episode, and for pretty much the same reasons that Rebecca wrote. I actually think that this is turning out to be one of the better series this season. I certainly think that it's an excellent adaptation of the source novel, one which improves on it in most ways.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
doubleO7

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 12:24 pm Reply with quote
MiloTheFirst wrote:
of course she is not strong enough to fight any of them head on in a sword fight, and tricking anyone that is not bel is expect to be difficult, but they didn't show us her trying to trick them or fight them even once, just trying to run that one time. they hit her, and hard, she was bledding and all, on multiple ocasions. howcome she has not tried to kill them even once before bel? i mean, if it really hurts, and if her life is really in danger, and if she really resents them.

She really doesn't seem like the killing type. With Bell, she knows he's a strong and capable adventurer and even tells him to "find an opportunity to escape" before she leaves. To me, she seemed pretty confident that he would make it out of there alive.

The plan was probably just for the orcs to keep him occupied while she made her escape with his knife, buying her enough time to get far away before he got through with them.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Episode 7 was largely unremarkable; I give it a C+ grade. Even though DanMachi is a fun anime, it is becoming clear to me that this is not a title I want to collect on BD/DVD. Let's see what the remaining episodes have to offer.
MysticMew

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Eh, Rebecca nailed all of my own impressions, so I have nothing really to add. Smile I'm not sure I would give it a B but okay, I can live with that.

A tad disappointing after last week but compared to other stuff still decent. I have a feeling next week will be more exciting again.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ParaSitius

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 3:55 pm Reply with quote
So when exactly does this male character with the sword I see that pop's up in the OP/ED actually appear? If this cour is only 12 episodes then their isn't much time left for him to make any sort of meaningful appearance.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 4:04 pm Reply with quote
MysticMew wrote:
I'm not sure I would give it a B but okay, I can live with that.

I was torn, honestly. I think I changed it from a B to a C and back again about three times. I ultimately went with the B because I did like Hestia's body language pre-jealousy fit and that weird guy in the dungeon spoiler[training monsters to use swords before siccing him on the Soma guys] was really intriguing, moreso than a lot of stuff last episode.

ParaSitius, I am wondering the same thing. I assume he's spoiler[the Hephaestus Familia member who made Bell's armor], but I'm not sure. In fact, I'm not even sure why I think that. Laughing
Poodicus1

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 4:05 pm Reply with quote
ParaSitius wrote:
So when exactly does this male character with the sword I see that pop's up in the OP/ED actually appear? If this cour is only 12 episodes then their isn't much time left for him to make any sort of meaningful appearance.

Without giving out any type of giant spoiler, he'll be appearing in episodes 10-12. Those episodes will be focusing on Volume 4 of the Light Novel, which is when that character gets introduced.
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
The novel version is clearer on this point, and this is one of the few places where I think the adaptation trimmed too much:spoiler[ she has tried to leave multiple times in the past but has always been dragged back. That's why she is plotting to buy her way to freedom this time.]
A bit late to the party, but I never read the novels and thought that this point was made clear enough by the scene where the adventurers wreck the store where Lili was working, so I really don't understand what MiloTheFirst was complaining about.

As for the latest review and Aiz, I guess we at least learned that she may or may not be an "airhead". But then, as far as modern anime is concerned that's less of a character trait and more of a moe charm point Smile But yeah, other than that, the mysterious guy in the dungeon and the random manservice it felt like nothing happened.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Yoshitsugu Matsuoka does a terrific job of shrieking in a high-pitched voice for an extended period of time during this scene in what is one of the episode's funniest moments.

That scream was just priceless. Very Happy

As much speculation as Hestia's boob string has inspired, I'm wondering if there's as much noise about Aiz's armor. For the life of me I can't see any rationale for having the underside of one boob exposed, unless it's meant as an invitation to strike at a vulnerable looking vital point, which of course she's prepared to defend against. It just looks lopsided and silly to me.
Nyaomix

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 4:38 am Reply with quote
I think the scream was the best thing in the episode. Glad Lili is keeping the ears, though I was expecting her to be staying at the church since she is avoiding Soma. Pretty sure the big guy is Ottarl, I think the Soma group just got caught by his experiment.

Hopefully this Hestia doesn`t appear again. Outside of her introduction to Lili she really felt weak as a character. Good that Bell is Learning more about fighting and Lili has become a much better supporter. Things are definitely looking up for the dungeon portion of Danmachi.

As far as the grade do you not like to add + and -? I felt this should have had that B- minus grade of still being above average but not by a long shot. Review was spot on they really could do better as the rest of the show has shown.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 7:07 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
For the life of me I can't see any rationale for having the underside of one boob exposed, unless it's meant as an invitation to strike at a vulnerable looking vital point, which of course she's prepared to defend against. It just looks lopsided and silly to me.

For some reason I had it in my head that her armor got chipped (or chopped) during a fight a few episodes ago. I could be making that up to make myself feel better about how silly it looks, though...
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 10:45 am Reply with quote
I thought that at first, too, but I checked the first episode when they meet, and the armor still has the issue.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9